Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 27 Mar 2009 (Friday) 11:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canoga Camera may be good for you but I'm going back to B&H

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Mar 27, 2009 11:58 |  #1

I just had a rotten experience this week with Canoga Camera in CA. I usually buy from Adorama or B&H but they were out of stock on this lens so I researched good online retailers and found that Canoga had a good rep and had the lens in stock for a competitive price.

Not to go into details but they kept me on the hook all week until I canceled the order today. They finally admitted that the item was never actually in stock and they were waiting for it. In the meantime B & H stocked the item so I canceled the order with Canoga. What struck me most was the total lack of concern that they had. The supposed general manager made absolutely no apologies and no attempt to rectify the issue. His solution was that I should wait. Said he would check on availability for me if I called. They obviously didn't care about making a sale or keeping a customer. Hopefully they don't do this to any one else.

So back to my regular haunts.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links
SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Cheyenne, WY
Mar 27, 2009 15:04 |  #2

If you spoke with Mr. Chris Chase, I am surprised that he did not attempt to rectify the issue and offer an apology for the situation. Websites malfunction - and I guess if you were really concerned, you should have called first to verify stock first of all - I have done it before. I do agree though, that they should have at least called or even emailed you to let you know that the item indeed was not in stock.

Chock this one up to an error, but not a common error with Canoga, in my opinion. I like Canoga and have had great experiences.

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Mar 27, 2009 19:09 |  #3

SoaringUSAEagle wrote in post #7611636external link
If you spoke with Mr. Chris Chase, I am surprised that he did not attempt to rectify the issue and offer an apology for the situation. Websites malfunction - and I guess if you were really concerned, you should have called first to verify stock first of all - I have done it before. I do agree though, that they should have at least called or even emailed you to let you know that the item indeed was not in stock.

Chock this one up to an error, but not a common error with Canoga, in my opinion. I like Canoga and have had great experiences.

Hopefully it was a one time thing, it will be for me anyway. And yes the person you mentioned seemed unconcerned and not very accommodating.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Cheyenne, WY
Mar 27, 2009 23:38 |  #4

I'm sorry to hear that...

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Doublea17
416 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Oregon
Mar 28, 2009 00:03 |  #5

Hoosier sorry to hear that you had problems with them, every time I have bought from them it has been awesome hopefully they haven't gone under new management I have purchased some big money items from them and like i said,great to deal with.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,026 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Apr 02, 2009 20:08 |  #6

HoosierJoe wrote in post #7610467external link
I just had a rotten experience this week with Canoga Camera in CA. I usually buy from Adorama or B&H but they were out of stock on this lens so I researched good online retailers and found that Canoga had a good rep and had the lens in stock for a competitive price.

Not to go into details but they kept me on the hook all week until I canceled the order today. They finally admitted that the item was never actually in stock and they were waiting for it. In the meantime B & H stocked the item so I canceled the order with Canoga. What struck me most was the total lack of concern that they had. The supposed general manager made absolutely no apologies and no attempt to rectify the issue. His solution was that I should wait. Said he would check on availability for me if I called. They obviously didn't care about making a sale or keeping a customer. Hopefully they don't do this to any one else.

So back to my regular haunts.

I had the same issue with them when I tried to purchase a 300 F2.8 IS. Certain information on my bank card wasn't up to date. They had no intention to make the sales. Well, hey, I picked up the 500L F4 IS at BH LOCALLY 3 months ago. I could have gone to them but they didn't treat me right....:cool:

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

sevans16
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined May 2006
Fresno
Apr 03, 2009 04:02 |  #7

WoW that is really surprising!! I have bought from them at least 10 different orders. They have always done right by me. In fact I got my 5D II from them when they were hard to find.
One time they did not have a Gitzo 5530 I had ordered, The manger called me about it, called the supplier, called me back to say it would take 5 days for them to get it and another 2 days to get to me. He upgraded me to the 5541 for about half the cost difference($40.00) and shipped it out the same afternoon.

They did throughly verify my CC info on my first order!! I don't mind all myself though it was a pain in the arse cause my info wasn't up to date(though it should have been).

www.777Photography.com (external link)
D810, 16-35 f4, 70-200 f2.8 VR v2, 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 35mm "A Series" f1.4
Gitzo 3540/5540LS, Markins M-20, RRS B2 LR II, Wimberly WH200 Gimbal Head, CS6, LR4, 3-Elinchrom Style RX sets, Eli Quadras

sponsored links

421 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canoga Camera may be good for you but I'm going back to B&H
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.