Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 29 Mar 2009 (Sunday) 16:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon DSLR Speed Challenge #93 – POSED or STAGED

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Charlottesville, VA
Mar 29, 2009 16:53 |  #1

POSED or STAGED:

• As photographers, we sometimes find it necessary to position and orchestrate our subjects (people, animals, objects) to make the photo. Sometimes this involves creating a set, adding props, makeup, costumes, or moving outside our typical comfort zones.
  • This is NOT necessarily the same as Speed Challenge #38 (Portraits), but may include portraits – as they are typically premeditated.
  • Wedding pictures are allowed, but I’m looking for something that really breaks the conventional paradigms.
  • Special Caveat: If your picture appears to be “unposed” (example: a street scene where your subject is deliberately not looking at the camera – and we couldn’t tell the difference), please describe the process you used to stage the photograph along with your XLIF.
Standard Rules apply:
Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Canon DSLR Camera
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size - Please see the Image posting rules.
4. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting - * ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.* Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & lens used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends - 6:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (USA) Sunday April 5th, 2009.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Websiteexternal link
| FaceBookexternal link

sponsored links
DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,154 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Northern Indiana, USA
Mar 29, 2009 18:38 |  #2

Although it may look spontaneous, this picture took forever to set-up.
Finally got it right.
10D
F6.7
1/125
ISO200
:cool:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.comexternal link

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Mar 30, 2009 15:40 as a reply to post 7629667 |  #3

This was set up to look like a candid. Because of various concerns we had to stage it so I could control things like light and subject position.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/DrNursewithx-ray.jpg

5D 35L
ISO 800
1/125 at f/4.5
manual
patern

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nanaimo,B.C.
Mar 31, 2009 10:03 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #4

Let Me Entertain You

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Date/Time: 2008:10:03 12:36:56
Resolution: 533 x 799
Flash Used: Yes (manual, red eye reduction...
Focal Length: 28.0mm (35mm equivalent: 45mm...
CCD Width: 22.20mm
Exposure Time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO Equiv.: 400

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

athrasher
93 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Austin
Apr 01, 2009 00:48 |  #5

Waiting for Santa

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2101/2134058153_4581d06303_b.jpg

While intended to look candid, it would be a bit much to ask an eight-year-old to go to sleep in a reasonably well-lit room on Christmas Eve.

Rebel XT
1/60
f/4.5
ISO 400
33mm

dilorenzo1954
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
Wandering the streets...
Apr 01, 2009 19:34 as a reply to athrasher's post |  #6

We Apologize For The Delay...

We Apologize For The Delay...

Semi posed...The kids really were zonked out the dad, not so much, but he closed hie eyes for me for the better image;)

Camera: Canon EOS 5D
Lens: EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Focal Length: 40mm
Av: f/4
Tv: 1/10 sec
ISO: 400
Exposure: Manual
Metering: Pattern
Processing: CS4 & Nik Silver Efex

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3631/3405082735_e04fdf6dc4_b_d.jpg

Ed

“A photograph is usually looked at- seldom looked into.” ~Ansel Adams

Robuk
2011 SMWYG Photographer of the Year
873 posts
Joined Jun 2006
God's Country......N Wales UK
Apr 03, 2009 13:38 |  #7

Monty Pythoned

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Michael Palin, Terry Jones and Sue Jones-Davies, three of the original stars of the Life of Brian at a charity showing, staged photo.

EOS 50D
28/03/2009
Canon 17-85 @ 24mm
1/250
F4 @ iso 400
Flash

Freelance Photos North Wales
www.fpnw.co.uk (external link)
Free Pictures No Way :)

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Apr 04, 2009 01:56 as a reply to Robuk's post |  #8

"Snake Eyed Waltz"--LPJ

The shoot was at work on the loading dock with a friend. I had to get some pictures in for two assignments for photo-class (CD cover and Perspectice).

40D
EF 50mm f/1.4
1/320th sec
f/2.8
iso 100
reflected sunlight
post with DPP
no crop

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3580/3385997519_985c3b60c1_b.jpg

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

lavanut
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Apr 04, 2009 21:53 as a reply to Jason C's post |  #9

Underwater Eggs-cursion

I didn't see in the rules it had to be about people, so here's one that was definitely posed and staged. (Candids didn't work too well with the eggs.:)) I'd hoped to shoot a new one for this challenge, but I haven't had time.

From the "Eggs-cellent Adventures" series...
Underwater Eggs-cursion

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Model: Canon EOS 50D
Shutter Speed: 1/125 sec
Exposure Program: Manual
F-Stop: f/8.0
Aperture Value: f/8
ISO Speed Ratings: 400
Focal Length: 50.0 mm
Lens: EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

John_B
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
Hawaii
Apr 05, 2009 06:45 |  #10

Steps to Showing a Photo

Steps to Showing a Photo

IMAGE: http://johnbdigital.com/pets/steps_to_photo.jpg

Technical Details
for Steps to Showing a Photo

Camera - Canon EOS 40D
Film / Media - SanDisk Ultra II 2.0GB
Lens - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
Shooting Mode - Manual
Tv( Shutter Speed ) - 1/60th sec
Av( Aperture Value ) - F/1.8
Metering Mode - Spot
ISO Speed - 400
Focal Length - 50mm
Flash - On
Flash Type - External E-TTL 580ex
White Balance - Flash
AF Mode - One-Shot AF
Color Space - sRGB
Camera set to Jpeg

Sony A6500, A6000, Lenses, DMC-ZS40 & Apeman A80 <-- click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

MSJGD
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Apr 05, 2009 12:33 |  #11

IMAGE: http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/jgdphoto/IMG_5260-5.jpg

EOS 20D
1/250 sec
f/8.0
ISO 100
127 mm
70-200 +ex 1.4

Jean-Guy
7D, 17-40 1:4 L, 70-300 1:4-5.6 L, 50mm 1:1.8
photosjgd.caexternal link

Kendoway
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Charlottesville, VA
Apr 05, 2009 17:12 |  #12

Ok, time is up. Good grief people, couldn’t you have posted some lousy shots for me instead of all these GREAT ones? This was a very difficult decision because so many of them are winners, and I’m still relatively new person on POTN which means a portion of my final choice will driven by my raw inexperience. Again, they are all great shots, so please forgive my amateur criticisms and the decision I make.

Ok, lets go down the list in the order they appeared:

• DAMphyne (David): Great picture – what a bunch of rascals! Did you ever manage to get all of them looking at the camera together? I’m going to guess the answer to that is no. I love the big burly guy in the back row (left) making a muscle. Too funny. Great shot, but maybe it’s a little out of focus?

• Airfrogusmc (Allen): Heck of a great commercial style shot. I’m guessing it was hell to figure out the white balance with fluorescents up above, and pushing from the right behind the X-ray screen. Did you also use a bounce flash? Nice DOF, while keeping both subjects in focus – and great expressions on both of your models (especially the nurse). I’m seeing a little bit of light reflection on that X-ray screen?

• Flo (Gail): Love the red subject on a gloss black set – it’s really got punch, and the reflection is superb! Was this cropped? I’m thinking the subject needs a little more breathing space to sustain the rule of thirds. Love the picture!

• Athrasher: What a great subject with the red hair and freckles! She’s got fine features, and the shot has a very natural feel to it. How does she look for other portraiture?, green eyes I’m guessing. For a sleepy time shot it’s great, but maybe the foreground is a tad over-lit? Just a thought – and I love the shot.

• Dilorenzo1954 (Ed): Haha, he looks so pooped in that picture. Captures the “fun” of modern day airport travel (ok, replace “fun” with “nightmare”). Interesting choice with the black and white, and it works well. The only thing that breaks the illusion a tiny bit is his blurred (moving) right hand. Just my personal taste, but I’d love to see this photo with the outlet, air vent, and vending machine cropped out. Lovely photo.

• Robuk: Who doesn’t LOVE a celebrity photo, especially if it’s some of the Python crew – most excellent, and lucky you! I’m guessing you had other photographers on the scene (since Palin seems to be looking at another camera?). Terry Jones is dead on, the skin tones are correct, and the lighting is good.

• Jason C: Great DOF and your focus is right on the money. Love the low angle, and I often see this type of picture ruined when the nostrils are placed dead center. Double good work not showing up in the reflection of his sunglasses.

• Lavanut: What a unique and interesting entry. I know how much work goes into A) Building a set, and B) Building a model (subject), lighting it – and then shooting it. The light seems a little bright, unless that was the effect you were going for. You should do more of these – it’s got potential for a kid’s site/book. Nifty.

• John B: Heck of a cute pup you have there – what a little ham. Love the DOF so that the face has that “pop” factor! Double bonus for having a Canon camera in the picture. Maybe a little PP color correction on the eyes, and some burning to remove that flash glare around the muzzle and eyebrows?

• MSJGD (Jean-Guy): What a wonderful photo – it’s intimate, and candid. My eyes immediately look at that bright blue dome, and then shift left. Hard picture to take well when the sun is so high like that, but you’ve captured “exotic” feel of being somewhere else. Did you notice the two other photographers (top left) in the picture? I laughed when I saw them, as at first I though the guy on the left was chimping – but he isn’t. :) Maybe crop down a bit to get rid of them?

Again, this was a incredibly hard choice to make, but I’m going to have to award this one to:

Jason C!

In all respects it’s a perfect picture, and worth printing and framing. Has your loading dock friend seen it? I am particularly impressed that this was shot for a photography class, and if you keep at it, you’ll have a long and happy relationship with photography. Keep up the good work Jason.

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Websiteexternal link
| FaceBookexternal link

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Apr 05, 2009 17:30 as a reply to Kendoway's post |  #13

This is so unexpected, especially given all of the fantastic images that were posted in this competition I am a bit taken back. The skills that you photographers exhibit is inspiring.

It has been this Canon DSLR Speed Challenge and the excellent quality of images entered that has pushed me into improving my photographic skills.

Thank you all, and thank you POTN.

I will have "Challenge #94" posted in a few hours from now; I have to do some research...

...I still don't believe it...

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

John_B
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
Hawaii
Apr 05, 2009 17:45 |  #14

Jason C,
Congrats on the win!!! :)

Sony A6500, A6000, Lenses, DMC-ZS40 & Apeman A80 <-- click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Apr 05, 2009 17:48 |  #15

Kendoway wrote in post #7673156external link
Has your loading dock friend seen it? I am particularly impressed that this was shot for a photography class, and if you keep at it, you’ll have a long and happy relationship with photography. Keep up the good work Jason.

First off Chris, thank you for your critique on all images for it is very thoughtful and classy.

To answer your question, my friend has seen all of the images I took that day and he did not like the 'nostril' pics as he put it. Then again, he was a bit 'down' (jokingly) about how old he was looking in the photographs...he liked 'em. It was a great shoot.

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback

sponsored links

3,620 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.