Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 04 Apr 2009 (Saturday) 17:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Perspective Control in Images - Focal Length or Distance? (a tutorial)

SkipD
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,448 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Feb 22, 2015 12:27 |  #181

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17444022external link
just wanted to say that this was one of the first posts i read when becoming a member of POTN. I had just bought my XSi and was getting back into photography after quite a few years off. Years before I had done some "professional" photography to supplement my design work, but my Coolpix 990 had grown old and I basically stopped taking pictures. My formative film days were WAY behind me at that point.

This thread, among many others, was of great help restarting the brain cells that held what i knew to be true from back in my film days. Just wanted to send a thanks out to you Skip for putting it together, and to the others (wilt) for keeping it going and continuing to answer questions about the issue.

cheers to you guys!

Many thanks for the comments. ;-)a

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links
Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Jul 2007
Hong Kong
Feb 22, 2015 20:14 |  #182

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17444022external link
just wanted to say that this was one of the first posts i read when becoming a member of POTN. I had just bought my XSi and was getting back into photography after quite a few years off. Years before I had done some "professional" photography to supplement my design work, but my Coolpix 990 had grown old and I basically stopped taking pictures. My formative film days were WAY behind me at that point.

This thread, among many others, was of great help restarting the brain cells that held what i knew to be true from back in my film days. Just wanted to send a thanks out to you Skip for putting it together, and to the others (wilt) for keeping it going and continuing to answer questions about the issue.

cheers to you guys!

Indeed! Cheers to Skip and Wilt for keeping this information going. I was teaching some photography last weekend and explaining the relationship between distance, focal length and perspective in portraits and this reminded me that next time I can direct learners back to this thread!

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Dogwheels
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2015
Sep 02, 2015 07:35 |  #183

Hello,

that is a great post, thank you for your work!

I came across those article:

http://reframe.gizmodo​.com ...ut-more-than-r-1601938278 (external link)
http://www.addicted2li​ght.com ...-speedbooster-lens-turbo/ (external link)

Does that mean those guys are wrong and there is not such things as the medium format look coming from longer normal lens (80mm for medium format relative to 50mm for 24x36) ?

thanks

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 02, 2015 12:04 |  #184

Dogwheels wrote in post #17692229 (external link)
Hello,

that is a great post, thank you for your work!

I came across those article:

http://reframe.gizmodo​.com ...ut-more-than-r-1601938278 (external link)
http://www.addicted2li​ght.com ...-speedbooster-lens-turbo/ (external link)

Does that mean those guys are wrong and there is not such things as the medium format look coming from longer normal lens (80mm for medium format relative to 50mm for 24x36) ?

thanks

I was going to suggest you read some of the comments in that second article, but is seems like you are one step ahead of me.

That guy is definitely addictedtosomething. :D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

SkipD
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,448 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Sep 02, 2015 12:37 |  #185

Dogwheels wrote in post #17692229 (external link)

Both of the primary authors of the linked blogs seem to believe that perspective is based on the focal length of the lens used. As we have proven early in this thread, that is definitely not true.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Dogwheels
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2015
Sep 03, 2015 02:02 |  #186

Indeed :-)

Thanks guys, it is clear in my head now !

That's the issue with the net, it takes time to find reliable sources to be able to cross check. I think i find one of those here

thanks again!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,004 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.
Nov 05, 2015 13:16 as a reply to Dogwheels's post |  #187

Unfortunately that article gets it all wrong. It fails to recognize that the normal focal length for any format is proportional to its format size. So if I shoot a photo with 150mm normal lens on 4x5 I get exactly the same perspective as shooting with a 30mm lens on APS-C. The FL is not what matters...it is camera position, and position is the same with both (very different sized) cameras -- unlike the horridly inaccurate statement in the link would have you believe!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,004 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 10, 2016 13:35 |  #188

Just created this post for another thread, but added it to this sticky to expand upon the principles discussed in this sticky.

Perspective -- the relationship of a subject to objects around it -- can distort our perception of its relative size.
Perspective distortion, a simple principle to illustrate for yourself, no need for any texts...

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/IMG_9879_zpsias6brpu.jpg
Put one hand very close to the lens (1') note how 'big' it appears to be, relative to the size of the other hand (farther from the lens). For this exercise, your front hand is 'the subject' and the rear hand is one of the 'objects surrounding the subject'.

Now without moving your two hands' position relative to one another,

1. initial position 1' away from the lens, observe the relative size of the hands.
  2. back away from the lens by about 2' and observe the relative size of the hands.
  3. back away from the lens by about 4' and observe the relative size of the hands.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/whole%20frame_zpstte6h6zj.jpg

Now let's look at constant framing (relative to size of closest hand)...I did this via postprocessing crop, but you could have done it at time of shooting with framing change by selection of FL, at the same three shooting distances to subject as used for the previous series!
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/relative%20size_zps2j0qrcpu.jpg

Obviously your two hands have not changed in size, only the relative distances of lens vs. each hand.
Another example of relative size, hold our hand out in front of you, as jumbo jet passes by in the sky. We know the jumbo jet truly dwarfs our hand, yet in the sky it is so small it is easily concealed from view by a hand.

And the relative size of the two hands -- at one set distance from the camera -- does NOT change simply due to the use of a different FL lens to shoot the shot. FL changes framing only, not perspective.
Camera position matters, FL of the lens is NOT what changes perspective!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

188,942 views & 8 likes for this thread
Perspective Control in Images - Focal Length or Distance? (a tutorial)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.