Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 05 Apr 2009 (Sunday) 09:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Let's try again - using a Canon Warranty.

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 05, 2009 09:14 |  #1

At the request of some helpful person, I put forethought into this thread before starting it.

Here's the situation:

Bought a 30D from another member here. They did not register it or send in the warranty card. They sent me the blank warranty card and a receipt with their name and address on it. The warranty is not transferable.

There is still a little over one month left on the warranty. So I have a little time. I have decided to send it in to get the main wheel repaired because it slips a little from time to time and does not adjust the settings.

Canon asks that the sales receipt accompany the warranty card. So wont they know that I am not the original purchaser? Can I get around this and have warranty work done or should I just eat the repair cost?

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,695 posts
Joined Oct 2006
NYC
Apr 05, 2009 09:16 |  #2

I wouldn't worry about it.
I buy used gear all the time and some have been under warranty.
All they care about is the serial number matching.
I usually black out the previous owner's information with a sharpie.
Have not had a problem at all.

HoosierJoe wrote in post #7670633external link
At the request of some helpful person, I put forethought into this thread before starting it.

Here's the situation:

Bought a 30D from another member here. They did not register it or send in the warranty card. They sent me the blank warranty card and a receipt with their name and address on it. The warranty is not transferable.

There is still a little over one month left on the warranty. So I have a little time. I have decided to send it in to get the main wheel repaired because it slips a little from time to time and does not adjust the settings.

Canon asks that the sales receipt accompany the warranty card. So wont they know that I am not the original purchaser? Can I get around this and have warranty work done?

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 05, 2009 09:20 |  #3

That's what I wanted to hear. Someones actual experience doing this. Thanks.

homersapien
350 posts
Joined May 2008
Denver, CO
Apr 05, 2009 10:31 |  #4

I've had warranty work done using other people's receipts with no problems. Canon wants a receipt, not necessarily YOUR receipt ;) You'll be fine!

defordphoto
MKIII Aficionado
9,888 posts
Joined Oct 2002
Pacific Northwest
Apr 05, 2009 10:32 as a reply to HoosierJoe's post |  #5

Now that you say it this way, then yes, you're fine. Previously you said the owner sent in the card, but later you said you found it. If it wasn't previously registered, or the warranty card sent in, which registers the camera, then you're good to go! Get it repaired quickly!!!

defordphoto | Celebrating the art of photography®
SD500, 10D, 20D, 30D, 5D, 1DMKII, 1DMKIII
www.ussbaracing.comexternal link | www.rfmsports.comexternal link | www.nwfjcc.comexternal link
An austere and pleasant poetry of the real. Ansel Adams

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 05, 2009 10:56 |  #6

Thanks everyone. Just dropped it off at the post office.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,483 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Death Star
Apr 05, 2009 11:12 |  #7

That's another thing that's great about Canon. As long as you have the sales receipt even under different name, they'll honor the warranty. One thing to think about when selecting your gear brand.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,695 posts
Joined Oct 2006
NYC
Apr 05, 2009 12:03 |  #8

I have a 1DMKIII which I bought used.
The previous owner registered it, sent it in for the sub-mirror fix, even got a letter from them about the 1 year warranty extension.

Still, I had no problems getting it serviced after I bought it.

It's really not a problem. All they need to know is the serial #, the date of purchase and proof...

defordphoto wrote in post #7670993external link
Now that you say it this way, then yes, you're fine. Previously you said the owner sent in the card, but later you said you found it. If it wasn't previously registered, or the warranty card sent in, which registers the camera, then you're good to go! Get it repaired quickly!!!

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

tnguyen600
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Apr 05, 2009 12:09 |  #9

So if I have lenses and whatever, I should register it with canon?

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,695 posts
Joined Oct 2006
NYC
Apr 05, 2009 12:10 |  #10

Doesn't really matter as long as you have the receipt.

tnguyen600 wrote in post #7671510external link
So if I have lenses and whatever, I should register it with canon?

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Florida
Apr 05, 2009 12:37 |  #11

HoosierJoe wrote in post #7671121external link
Thanks everyone. Just dropped it off at the post office.

Post Office? What's their rule about expensive insured items? I thought they had to be given to a clerk?

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 05, 2009 13:46 |  #12

dan j wrote in post #7671644external link
Post Office? What's their rule about expensive insured items? I thought they had to be given to a clerk?

dan

My post office clerks are barely working Mon-Fri so they weren't there. I looked around for notices before using the drop box. Sent Priority/Insured. Should be OK.

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Florida
Apr 05, 2009 14:02 |  #13

Just checked. You can drop it off if it's less than $500. More than that you need to see a clerk. My mistake.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

sponsored links

1,311 views & 0 likes for this thread
Let's try again - using a Canon Warranty.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.