Thread started 09 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 12:58   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Lightgomez
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2008
10 posts
Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Sorry, but because I am not a professional like alot of you all, I dont post very much...I mostly just stay in the background and TRY to pick up pointers that you experts are giving other people....

Anyways, tonight there is a special occasion and I want to take my camera to snap a couple of photos. I have a Canon Rebel XTi with the kit lens. For me, and basically because I don't know it very well, it's alot of camera. Well, I have noticed that when I take photos inside, it is VERY difficult for me to produce a sharp, clear picture. Most times they are shaky or blurry.

What am I doing wrong? And what suggestions can you all give me?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!!

Post #1, Apr 09, 2009 12:58:08

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
polarbare
Joined Jul 2008
575 posts
Natick, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

you need to post a picture with exif data.

Post #2, Apr 09, 2009 13:00:42

Brad Moore
My Sportshooterexternal link Page
Polarbare Photo Blogexternal link
Photojournalist for Bostonist.comexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/polarbareexternal link

Lightgomez
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2008
10 posts
Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

polarbare wrote in post #7698697external link
you need to post a picture with exif data.

Sorry....I am at work and I dont currently have one. If you can imagine it: A couple of friends posing for the camera, inside, and the picture comes out blurry.....that is pretty much what alot of my pictures come out looking like.

I know it is a loong shot to ask for help without providing any examples, but any help is appreciated.

Post #3, Apr 09, 2009 13:04:33

gjl711
human (barely) and bribable
Joined Aug 2006
48,194 posts
Deep in the heart of Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Without a sample I'm guessing that your taking the picture at too slow a speed. Try increasing the ISO to 800 or 1600, shoot in Av mode and set the aperture so that it is as open as possible and let the shutter speed float. Set like that it will select the highest shutter it can. That will minimize both motion blur from your subjects as well as camera shake.

You might also pay very close attention as to how your pressing the shutter. Many press hard causing the camera to bob which will cause camera shake. Press lightly holding the body as still as you can.

One last thing, can you use a flash? If so it might help quite a bit.

Post #4, Apr 09, 2009 13:05:41

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::external link
::Gear::

Lightgomez
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2008
10 posts
Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

gjl711 wrote in post #7698727external link
Without a sample I'm guessing that your taking the picture at too slow a speed. Try increasing the ISO to 800 or 1600, shoot in Av mode and set the aperture so that it is as open as possible and let the shutter speed float. Set like that it will select the highest shutter it can. That will minimize both motion blur from your subjects as well as camera shake.

You might also pay very close attention as to how your pressing the shutter. Many press hard causing the camera to bob which will cause camera shake. Press lightly holding the body as still as you can.

One last thing, can you use a flash? If so it might help quite a bit.

Those are VERY good suggestions! Thank you!!! That was the type of info I was looking for.

About the flash, yes...I can use flash once friends are posing for the pictures!

Once again...thanks for the tips!

What about the White Balance feature? Should I change that to Flourescent Lighting since we are inside and there are alot of Flurosent lights in the building? Or does it not really make that bog of a difference?

Post #5, Apr 09, 2009 13:12:12

sponsored links
Cosha
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,213 posts
Wiltshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

What mode are you trying to shoot in?

Try In Manual Mode, ISO 400 - 800, Shutter Speed Around 1/150 Or slower And Im Guessing F4 - 5.6 On a kit lens? You should also have IS turned on, normaly on the lens itself.

If your in really low light try use the pop up flash, you will get some hotspots but it will really help in getting rid of the blurry pictures!

Also when you focus, (half hold down the shutter button) try to take your picture fairly quick afterwards as the focus point on people moving will change quick

Post #6, Apr 09, 2009 13:12:32 as a reply to gjl711's post 6 minutes earlier.

Oh...Hello :)

Lightgomez
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2008
10 posts
Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Cosha wrote in post #7698771external link
What mode are you trying to shoot in?

Try In Manual Mode, ISO 400 - 800, Shutter Speed Around 1/150 Or slower And Im Guessing F4 - 5.6 On a kit lens? You should also have IS turned on, normaly on the lens itself.

If your in really low light try use the pop up flash, you will get some hotspots but it will really help in getting rid of the blurry pictures!

Also when you focus, (half hold down the shutter button) try to take your picture fairly quick afterwards as the focus point on people moving will change quick

Will keep that in mind too! Thanks!!

Post #7, Apr 09, 2009 13:14:44

gjl711
Joined Aug 2006
48,194 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Lightgomez wrote in post #7698768external link
What about the White Balance feature? Should I change that to Flourescent Lighting since we are inside and there are alot of Flurosent lights in the building? Or does it not really make that bog of a difference?

if your shooting jpegs then yes, changing the WB to something appropriate for the lighting will help a lot. If your shooting raw, you can change the WB to whatever you want after the fact.

Post #8, Apr 09, 2009 13:17:59

Lightgomez
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2008
10 posts
Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

gjl711 wrote in post #7698817external link
if your shooting jpegs then yes, changing the WB to something appropriate for the lighting will help a lot. If your shooting raw, you can change the WB to whatever you want after the fact.

Yes, I am shooting jpegs.....

Post #9, Apr 09, 2009 13:20:33

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
6,674 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Lightgomez wrote in post #7698682external link
Sorry, but because I am not a professional like alot of you all, I dont post very much...I mostly just stay in the background and TRY to pick up pointers that you experts are giving other people....

Anyways, tonight there is a special occasion and I want to take my camera to snap a couple of photos. I have a Canon Rebel XTi with the kit lens. For me, and basically because I don't know it very well, it's alot of camera. Well, I have noticed that when I take photos inside, it is VERY difficult for me to produce a sharp, clear picture. Most times they are shaky or blurry.

What am I doing wrong? And what suggestions can you all give me?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!!

Take a look here:

http://web.canon.jp/im​aging/enjoydslr/external link

http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...torial/rebelxtlesso​ns.htmexternal link

Post #10, Apr 09, 2009 20:14:51

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

Persephone
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,122 posts
CA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you're shooting JPEG, you might want to fire off a bunch of test shots to find the right WB while indoors. Sometimes I fire off up to four shots - one for AWB, florescent, tungsten, and custom. I still sometimes shoot AWB because sometimes it comes out better than the other modes. Sometimes only custom WB can save the day.

Post #11, Apr 09, 2009 23:03:23

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνηexternal link, God of War

sponsored links
gjl711
Joined Aug 2006
48,194 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

hbdragon88 wrote in post #7701881external link
If you're shooting JPEG, you might want to fire off a bunch of test shots to find the right WB while indoors. Sometimes I fire off up to four shots - one for AWB, florescent, tungsten, and custom. I still sometimes shoot AWB because sometimes it comes out better than the other modes. Sometimes only custom WB can save the day.

Pick up one of these instead. Every camera bag should have a set.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...1_Digital_Grey_Kard​_.htmlexternal link

http://www.youtube.com ...NUUbqaUL4&feature=r​elatedexternal link

Post #12, Apr 09, 2009 23:16:35

Pmolan
Joined Nov 2008
521 posts
New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

Lightgomez wrote in post #7698768external link
What about the White Balance feature? Should I change that to Flourescent Lighting since we are inside and there are alot of Flurosent lights in the building?

I find that indoors(without flash), no matter what lighting, Tungsten is the best. Thats in the US though, where Tunsten bulbs arent outlawed yet. I find that if it is on Tungsten mode, I usually only need minor correction compared to Auto where everything is yellow.

Post #13, Apr 10, 2009 06:54:22

EOS 50D | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8 IS L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 580EX | 430 EX | 430 EZ | Team Buff!!

Persephone
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,122 posts
CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Pmolan wrote in post #7703107external link
I find that indoors(without flash), no matter what lighting, Tungsten is the best. Thats in the US though, where Tunsten bulbs arent outlawed yet. I find that if it is on Tungsten mode, I usually only need minor correction compared to Auto where everything is yellow.

The answer is...it depends. I used to swear by tungsten, but I find now that the colors are a tad too cool, and florescent is warmer and better. For any time I'm unsure, that is the rare times that I will shoot in RAW. Because dragging the K slider is just so awesome.

gjl711 wrote in post #7701944external link
Pick up one of these instead. Every camera bag should have a set.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...1_Digital_Grey_Kard​_.htmlexternal link

$18.95...ouch.

Post #14, Apr 10, 2009 13:01:43

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνηexternal link, God of War

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,099 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

$18.95...ouch.

This is free, better than AWB, & drives the measurebaters crazy! ;)
Gray Card…White Paper. What’s best?

If you shoot white paper ON THE METER READING, it will photograph gray, just what the cam needs for Custom WB. Use that exposure for the WB set-up.
It's pretty good for adjusting exposure too, when there are bright highlights that aren't important in the frame.
Need an exposure crutch?

And just to muddy the waters a bit, remember that the "correct" WB isn't necessarily the "right" WB for a particular image? Would you want to neutralize the nice colors in a sunset? ;)
While I always start out with a WB, I sometimes warm up or cool down a shot, depending on what I think looks good. Sometimes, I only will do that to part of an image. In this one, I replaced the sky & then decided the Mustang needed some reflections from the sky:
Mustang & B-17 + PS

Post #15, Apr 10, 2009 14:23:45

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,757 views & 0 likes for this thread
My pictures come out blurry...help.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES