Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th of April 2009 (Thu)   #1
Lightgomez
Junior Member
 
Lightgomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
Default My pictures come out blurry...help.

Sorry, but because I am not a professional like alot of you all, I dont post very much...I mostly just stay in the background and TRY to pick up pointers that you experts are giving other people....

Anyways, tonight there is a special occasion and I want to take my camera to snap a couple of photos. I have a Canon Rebel XTi with the kit lens. For me, and basically because I don't know it very well, it's alot of camera. Well, I have noticed that when I take photos inside, it is VERY difficult for me to produce a sharp, clear picture. Most times they are shaky or blurry.

What am I doing wrong? And what suggestions can you all give me?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!!
Lightgomez is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of April 2009 (Thu)   #2
polarbare
Member
 
polarbare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Natick, MA
Posts: 575
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

you need to post a picture with exif data.
__________________
Brad Moore
My Sportshooter Page
Polarbare Photo Blog
Photojournalist for Bostonist.com

polarbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2009 (Thu)   #3
Lightgomez
Junior Member
 
Lightgomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbare View Post
you need to post a picture with exif data.

Sorry....I am at work and I dont currently have one. If you can imagine it: A couple of friends posing for the camera, inside, and the picture comes out blurry.....that is pretty much what alot of my pictures come out looking like.

I know it is a loong shot to ask for help without providing any examples, but any help is appreciated.
Lightgomez is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of April 2009 (Thu)   #4
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable
 
gjl711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 48,119
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

Without a sample I'm guessing that your taking the picture at too slow a speed. Try increasing the ISO to 800 or 1600, shoot in Av mode and set the aperture so that it is as open as possible and let the shutter speed float. Set like that it will select the highest shutter it can. That will minimize both motion blur from your subjects as well as camera shake.

You might also pay very close attention as to how your pressing the shutter. Many press hard causing the camera to bob which will cause camera shake. Press lightly holding the body as still as you can.

One last thing, can you use a flash? If so it might help quite a bit.
__________________
Not sure why, but call me JJ.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
.
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2009 (Thu)   #5
Lightgomez
Junior Member
 
Lightgomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjl711 View Post
Without a sample I'm guessing that your taking the picture at too slow a speed. Try increasing the ISO to 800 or 1600, shoot in Av mode and set the aperture so that it is as open as possible and let the shutter speed float. Set like that it will select the highest shutter it can. That will minimize both motion blur from your subjects as well as camera shake.

You might also pay very close attention as to how your pressing the shutter. Many press hard causing the camera to bob which will cause camera shake. Press lightly holding the body as still as you can.

One last thing, can you use a flash? If so it might help quite a bit.

Those are VERY good suggestions! Thank you!!! That was the type of info I was looking for.

About the flash, yes...I can use flash once friends are posing for the pictures!

Once again...thanks for the tips!

What about the White Balance feature? Should I change that to Flourescent Lighting since we are inside and there are alot of Flurosent lights in the building? Or does it not really make that bog of a difference?
Lightgomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2009 (Thu)   #6
Cosha
Senior Member
 
Cosha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 1,213
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

What mode are you trying to shoot in?

Try In Manual Mode, ISO 400 - 800, Shutter Speed Around 1/150 Or slower And Im Guessing F4 - 5.6 On a kit lens? You should also have IS turned on, normaly on the lens itself.

If your in really low light try use the pop up flash, you will get some hotspots but it will really help in getting rid of the blurry pictures!

Also when you focus, (half hold down the shutter button) try to take your picture fairly quick afterwards as the focus point on people moving will change quick
__________________
Oh...Hello
Cosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2009 (Thu)   #7
Lightgomez
Junior Member
 
Lightgomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosha View Post
What mode are you trying to shoot in?

Try In Manual Mode, ISO 400 - 800, Shutter Speed Around 1/150 Or slower And Im Guessing F4 - 5.6 On a kit lens? You should also have IS turned on, normaly on the lens itself.

If your in really low light try use the pop up flash, you will get some hotspots but it will really help in getting rid of the blurry pictures!

Also when you focus, (half hold down the shutter button) try to take your picture fairly quick afterwards as the focus point on people moving will change quick

Will keep that in mind too! Thanks!!
Lightgomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2009 (Thu)   #8
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable
 
gjl711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 48,119
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightgomez View Post
What about the White Balance feature? Should I change that to Flourescent Lighting since we are inside and there are alot of Flurosent lights in the building? Or does it not really make that bog of a difference?
if your shooting jpegs then yes, changing the WB to something appropriate for the lighting will help a lot. If your shooting raw, you can change the WB to whatever you want after the fact.
__________________
Not sure why, but call me JJ.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
.
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2009 (Thu)   #9
Lightgomez
Junior Member
 
Lightgomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjl711 View Post
if your shooting jpegs then yes, changing the WB to something appropriate for the lighting will help a lot. If your shooting raw, you can change the WB to whatever you want after the fact.

Yes, I am shooting jpegs.....
Lightgomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2009 (Thu)   #10
Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
 
Hermeto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,674
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightgomez View Post
Sorry, but because I am not a professional like alot of you all, I dont post very much...I mostly just stay in the background and TRY to pick up pointers that you experts are giving other people....

Anyways, tonight there is a special occasion and I want to take my camera to snap a couple of photos. I have a Canon Rebel XTi with the kit lens. For me, and basically because I don't know it very well, it's alot of camera. Well, I have noticed that when I take photos inside, it is VERY difficult for me to produce a sharp, clear picture. Most times they are shaky or blurry.

What am I doing wrong? And what suggestions can you all give me?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!!
Take a look here:

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/

http://www.usa.canon.com/content/reb...lxtlessons.htm
__________________
What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
Hermeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2009 (Fri)   #11
Persephone
Senior Member
 
Persephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 1,122
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

If you're shooting JPEG, you might want to fire off a bunch of test shots to find the right WB while indoors. Sometimes I fire off up to four shots - one for AWB, florescent, tungsten, and custom. I still sometimes shoot AWB because sometimes it comes out better than the other modes. Sometimes only custom WB can save the day.
__________________
Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη, God of War
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2009 (Fri)   #12
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable
 
gjl711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 48,119
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdragon88 View Post
If you're shooting JPEG, you might want to fire off a bunch of test shots to find the right WB while indoors. Sometimes I fire off up to four shots - one for AWB, florescent, tungsten, and custom. I still sometimes shoot AWB because sometimes it comes out better than the other modes. Sometimes only custom WB can save the day.
Pick up one of these instead. Every camera bag should have a set.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rey_Kard_.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYNUU...eature=related
__________________
Not sure why, but call me JJ.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
.
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2009 (Fri)   #13
Pmolan
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 521
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightgomez View Post
What about the White Balance feature? Should I change that to Flourescent Lighting since we are inside and there are alot of Flurosent lights in the building?
I find that indoors(without flash), no matter what lighting, Tungsten is the best. Thats in the US though, where Tunsten bulbs arent outlawed yet. I find that if it is on Tungsten mode, I usually only need minor correction compared to Auto where everything is yellow.
__________________
EOS 50D | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8 IS L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 580EX | 430 EX | 430 EZ | Team Buff!!
Pmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2009 (Fri)   #14
Persephone
Senior Member
 
Persephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 1,122
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmolan View Post
I find that indoors(without flash), no matter what lighting, Tungsten is the best. Thats in the US though, where Tunsten bulbs arent outlawed yet. I find that if it is on Tungsten mode, I usually only need minor correction compared to Auto where everything is yellow.
The answer is...it depends. I used to swear by tungsten, but I find now that the colors are a tad too cool, and florescent is warmer and better. For any time I'm unsure, that is the rare times that I will shoot in RAW. Because dragging the K slider is just so awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjl711 View Post
Pick up one of these instead. Every camera bag should have a set.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rey_Kard_.html
$18.95...ouch.
__________________
Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη, God of War
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2009 (Fri)   #15
PhotosGuy
Moderator
 
PhotosGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: S. E. Michigan
Posts: 68,998
Default Re: My pictures come out blurry...help.

Quote:
$18.95...ouch.
This is free, better than AWB, & drives the measurebaters crazy!
Gray Card…White Paper. What’s best?

If you shoot white paper ON THE METER READING, it will photograph gray, just what the cam needs for Custom WB. Use that exposure for the WB set-up.
It's pretty good for adjusting exposure too, when there are bright highlights that aren't important in the frame.
Need an exposure crutch?

And just to muddy the waters a bit, remember that the "correct" WB isn't necessarily the "right" WB for a particular image? Would you want to neutralize the nice colors in a sunset?
While I always start out with a WB, I sometimes warm up or cool down a shot, depending on what I think looks good. Sometimes, I only will do that to part of an image. In this one, I replaced the sky & then decided the Mustang needed some reflections from the sky:
Mustang & B-17 + PS
__________________
FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
www.FrankCizek.com

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blurry pictures when not using flash KungFuJoe Small Compact Digitals by Canon 10 24th of January 2012 (Tue) 16:49
Blurry Pictures ugaskidawg Small Compact Digitals by Canon 21 23rd of September 2008 (Tue) 18:55
Does IS cause blurry pictures? M Powered Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 21 30th of May 2008 (Fri) 06:34
Why are my pictures blurry ashmicek Small Compact Digitals by Canon 7 14th of December 2006 (Thu) 09:24
S230 Blurry pictures mckeand13 Small Compact Digitals by Canon 3 22nd of March 2003 (Sat) 12:14


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This forum is not affiliated with Canon in any way and is run as a free user helpsite by Pekka Saarinen, Helsinki Finland. You will need to register in order to be able to post messages. Cookies are required for registering and posting. HTML in messages is not allowed, plain website addresses are automatically made active by the board.