Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of April 2009 (Fri)   #1
MikeZip007

Default Booking models

I am wondering about your methods for booking models for paid shoots. Here are the details of the shoot:

You are Paying them
You are booking for a date a week in advance
It must be on a certain date

My method is (and feel free to tell me what you find works, what doesn't work or what could be done better)

1. Send out a general casting call with an general outline of the shoot.
2. Once I have a healthy list of names/ portfolios, I narrow down the models to the top three.
3. Send an message to those three with current and total details of the shoot to confirm they can commit if selected.
4. Select and notify the model that will be used.
5. In the event of the 1st model canceling, I have two "backup" models that have said they can commit.

I find that this method works well however I would like your feedback.

I have found myself twice now booking a model for a shoot, then the model canceling last minute and me not having a backup to come in last minute. No model = no shoot = wasted money coordinating a MUA, other talent, assistants, and equipment. It seems that having backups is a necessity.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of April 2009 (Fri)   #2
sfaust
Goldmember

Default Re: Booking models

Use a model agency. The models are reliable, and the agency is on the hook to assume the issue and resolve it a model doesn't show, cancels late, etc.

I use a lot of 'internet' models for testing, trying out new techniques, working together on our portfolios, etc. But rarely do I hire one for a paid job unless I've worked with them in the past and know how experienced and reliable they are. There are far too many flakes out there to risk loosing face in front of a client, or loosing the client all together, just to save a few bucks.

If you aren't going the agency route, then it sounds like you are doing pretty much what I do for TFP type work. The only difference would be to check with other photographers that may have experience with them, talk with them on the phone to confirm details, etc, but more so just to get a feeling of the persons commitment and make it more personal. I would also call them the day before and again confirm.

sfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2009 (Fri)   #3
MikeZip007

I'm more concerned about my methods for booking models. It is okay to send a message to the top three models confirming they can commit if booked? Is that leading them on? Should this be done differently?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of April 2009 (Sun)   #4
sfaust
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZip007 View Post
I'm more concerned about my methods for booking models. It is okay to send a message to the top three models confirming they can commit if booked? Is that leading them on? Should this be done differently?
Sorry, the first line in your post read, "I am wondering about your methods for booking models for paid shoots.", and thats the direction I went in

I don't think its leading them on, as long as you are upfront with what you are doing. As long as the other models know they are second choice, or a backup to the main model, that's fair. However, they may not want to commit to keeping a date open for a 'just in case' shoot. Chances are, if you needed them as a backup, they may not be available.

How you are approaching it seem fine to me. Just don't put too much into the reliability factor from internet modeling sites. They have a reputation of last minute cancellations, flaky models, etc.

With that said, I've worked with a number of excellent models from OMP, MM, etc. But its a mix and you need to be careful with your selection.

Last edited by sfaust : 12th of April 2009 (Sun) at 13:04.
sfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of April 2009 (Sun)   #5
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...

I've usually worked where the art director/client look over composites form agencies and pick the models they seem they think will work best for their overall message. Then theres hair/makeup and cloths. This is they way it works most of the time for me. I'm usually included it the conversation but the decision is square on their shoulders.

Almost forgot usually there are several models that are hired and even if they're not shot they still get something for showing..

Last edited by airfrogusmc : 12th of April 2009 (Sun) at 15:29.
airfrogusmc is online now   Reply With Quote