I am wondering about your methods for booking models for paid shoots. Here are the details of the shoot:
You are Paying them
You are booking for a date a week in advance
It must be on a certain date
My method is (and feel free to tell me what you find works, what doesn't work or what could be done better)
1. Send out a general casting call with an general outline of the shoot.
2. Once I have a healthy list of names/ portfolios, I narrow down the models to the top three.
3. Send an message to those three with current and total details of the shoot to confirm they can commit if selected.
4. Select and notify the model that will be used.
5. In the event of the 1st model canceling, I have two "backup" models that have said they can commit.
I find that this method works well however I would like your feedback.
I have found myself twice now booking a model for a shoot, then the model canceling last minute and me not having a backup to come in last minute. No model = no shoot = wasted money coordinating a MUA, other talent, assistants, and equipment. It seems that having backups is a necessity.