Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 14 Apr 2009 (Tuesday) 08:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A Good Reason For Avoiding Cheap Tripods

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Apr 14, 2009 08:40 |  #1

Japanese Scientists Say (cheap)Tripods Increase Camera Shake

http://blog.wired.com ...9/04/japanese-scient.htmlexternal link

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
Grentz
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Midwest, USA
Apr 14, 2009 09:20 |  #2

Interesting, but kinda nothing new.

I also think cheap is a relative term, and not all lower priced tripods are horrible.

Search.TechIslands.comexternal link - Photography Shopping Search Engine

www.TechIslands.comexternal link - News and Reviews

My Gear List - 60D

CanonDad
39 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Apr 14, 2009 09:42 |  #3

Hmm. Its noticeable in my shots that a tripod helps. Good read though.

: My Gear :
.external link

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,049 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 14, 2009 09:58 |  #4

CanonDad wrote in post #7727358external link
Hmm. Its noticeable in my shots that a tripod helps. Good read though.

A cheap tripod at 1/4 or 1 second is far better than hand held at that speed. But a good tripod at 1/4 or 1 second is far better than a cheap tripod at that same speed. It is that second statement that many photographers do not realize.

When mirrors went up and down, and shutters went side to side, camera-induced vibration was a signficant contributor to loss of IQ. The use of mirror dampening or mirror lock up prior to exposure greatly helped shots taken in the 1/4 - 2 second range, in reducing vibration. The torsional rigidity of a tripod mattered in the dampening of the sidways shutter motion. Now that both mirrors and shutters go up and down, there seems to be more dependence on the vibration dampening of the tripod, not merely on the torsional rigidity.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Apr 14, 2009 10:03 |  #5

I have that exact tripod, and while it is better than the made in China Amvona tripod I ordered a few years ago, it is still aluminum and still shakey enough to see the shake with a long lens on it. Carbon fiber tripods are supposed to be much better, but I could not afford one. And shake does not stop at the tripod but continues on up into the head also. Not sure what would be best for that, but I assumes something like a Wimberley gimbal head would be best. Beyond my means though, until the Lotto comes through. ;)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuffexternal link
Gear List, My You Tubeexternal link
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,659 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2005
silicon valley
Apr 14, 2009 10:24 |  #6

[QUOTE=Grentz;7727209]​Interesting, but kinda nothing new.

I also think cheap is a relative term, and not all lower priced tripods are horrible.[/quote]

not according to Thom-san, who thinks everyone should rush out and drop a grand on their first tripod :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 430exII, gitzo 3542, markins Q10, kirk, really right stuff

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Maryland
Apr 14, 2009 10:47 |  #7

I have a $7.99 tripod that does fine. It was a Micro Center special. True I dont even attempt to use it when it counts. I use my good one. But in a pinch when I want something light to carry "just in case" it works great. I mainly use it to hold the laptop when shooting tethered.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

haisai-ojisan
207 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Kamakura, Japan
Apr 14, 2009 18:31 |  #8

I second that. Depending on the type of photography, my cheapo video camera, light-weight, aluminum and plastic tripod works fine. I would not use it with my 70-200 or for night photography, that's for sure.

I remember checking out SLIK tripods a few years ago. The aluminum one was more stable than the carbon fiber and about half the price. I ended up choosing the aluminum for stability and price. Although the carbon fiber one did look nice and was light as heck.

5D and a bunch of other stuff!
Blogexternal link

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Wadsworth, Ohio
Apr 14, 2009 20:49 |  #9

I have a cheap tripod that was designed with an HD camcorder in mind. Stupidly, I mounted by 30D and Sigma 70/200 on it. Good thing I'm still quick as a cat because as soon as I took my hands off it, the head popped right off the tripod! No damage incurred. But again, the head was designed to hold a 6 oz HD camcorder.

I'll get a good tripod in time. Don't really have a need for one yet as I don't shoot landscapes or portaits.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Mark ­ Cullenane
42 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Darwin Australia
Apr 14, 2009 22:49 as a reply to snyderman's post |  #10

With tripods quality will generaly come with price but this is not always the case, I still have an old Planet tripod I bought in the late seventies that I still use whilst it is not up use with a 5D2 and a 100-400 L now, it has given me sterling service for over 30 years.

I now use a selection of Manfrotto 055 & 190 tripods it is still used mainly for studio lights now but my point is even though it was quite cheap it was a sturdy companion for many years.

If your budget is pushed you could consider E-Bay I have seen Manfrotto tripods complete with head for as little as $50 Australian from time to time.
:lol:

5DMk2, 50D & 40D all with Grips| Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 85mm f/1.2L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 2 x 580EXII | Pocket Wizards | Studio Lights & Elinchrom Location Lights and lots of other toys :D

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Apr 14, 2009 22:56 |  #11

Whenever I need to use my tripod = time for mirror lock up. In most ordinary situations, this pretty much takes care of the vibration problem...

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA
Apr 15, 2009 07:32 |  #12

DEF nothing new, but its good to see the knowledge is spreading!

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protectionexternal link /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Apr 16, 2009 08:15 |  #13

ben_r_ wrote in post #7734188external link
DEF nothing new, but its good to see the knowledge is spreading!

And more knowledge is generally better...especially in this field..:D and especially with the number of new dslr owners moving off of the green box for the first time....;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links

2,355 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Good Reason For Avoiding Cheap Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.