Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #1
MelissaJoppPhotography

Question Does this website with battery pack seem legit?

http://www.espow.com/product_info.ph...wA0Q#reviews_2

I came across this battery pack and it's remarkably cheaper then canons so I am curious if any of you have bought this and are happy with it?
Thanks!
MelissaJoppPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #2
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Does this website with battery pack seem legit?

Several companies have cloned the Canon equivalent... Dunno how good it is, but as a photographer I Prefer to respect who owns the design.

SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #3
NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember

not in a million years... It's a knock off. They may have labeled in the CP-E4, but it won't be THE CP-E4 that Canon makes. If a price of a piece of equipment is being sold for way below market value compared to all other LEGIT online sources like B&H or Adorama, etc.. you can assume it is too good to be true!

NewEnglandPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #4
KirkS518
Goldmember

Didn't Sigma/Tamron/Tokina start off as 'knock-offs' when they first started up? What about Yongnuo, Cowboy Studios, and the other newer '3rd party knock-off brands'?

When it comes to things like this (accessories), I weigh the difference in cost vs. benefit of OEM. A large percentage of Canon/Nikon/Sony price is name recognition. It isn't always a case of better components, or a better product. What you are paying for with the name brands are things like R&D (past and future), advertising, humongous payrolls (as a whole, not necessarily individuals), warranty (yes, very important), and technical and customer support.

If an OEM accessory is 5-10x as much as a knock-off, to me it's worth the risk in purchasing that knock-off. My main concern with this type of item, is does it have the correct electrical output so as not to damage my equipment.

As for the website, never used them, never heard of them, and you could probably get the exact item (with maybe a different label) on ebay. At least there you have a 5% chance of problem resolution.

EDIT - Here you go - CP-E4 made by TomTop $22.99 with free shipping

50D, 20D IR Conv, Rebel XT, Rokinon 8mm FE, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm nonVC, Canon 24-105L, 50mm Mark I, 40mm 2.8 STM, Canon 85mm Canon 1.8, Canon 100mm Macro, Tamron 70-300mm VC, Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4, CZ Biotar 58/2, and a bunch of other stuff

Last edited by KirkS518 : 10th of August 2012 (Fri) at 20:43.
KirkS518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #5
MelissaJoppPhotography

Thanks all! I chose to go with the Canon. Although Canon sure must be making a lot of $$ off of these.
MelissaJoppPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #6
The Fox

I use both the canon and off brand. They both work equally as well in my testing.

Nick

50D Gripped | 20D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 100mm F2.8 Macro | 70-200mm F4L IS | Mamiya RB67
The Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of August 2012 (Mon)   #7
RTPVid
Goldmember

Point of order. A "knockoff" (with all the baggage that goes with that term) has the OEM brand name or brand identifying mark on it, but it is not genuine (i.e. Rolex knockoffs, Gucci knockoffs, etc.). That is different from a third-party product, marketed AS a third-party product as compatible with the OEM.

The first is deceptive.

The second is not. The true third-party can be worth it if it offers advantages over the OEM (e.g. price, features) compared with the OEM.

Grips and battery third-party products are generally marketed on price.

Lens third-party products can be marketed on price, but are also frequently marketing on quality and features.

Companies like Canon love consumers who place brand name in the "no equal" category.

As far as owning the design, much of what companies like Canon do with their designs is intended to make life difficult for the third-parties rather than offer any real consumer advantage (Canon is far from the worst at this behavior... Apple is the #1 world champion at this kind of corporate strategy, with Sony a close second... JMO, of course).
Old 13th of August 2012 (Mon)   #8
NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember

This is a knock-off. It does not say "Canon", but it does say "CP-E4"... coincidence? I think not...

Old 13th of August 2012 (Mon)   #9
RTPVid
Goldmember

First, CP-E4 is a model number, not a brand name. Second, that is only in the store's listing. The product itself is clearly marked as "Shoot" brand, and (less clearly in the photo) carries the model number of EP-N4. Here is one for sale on ebay. Understand, I am not endorsing this product; I have no experience with it. But, it is clearly not a knock-off if that term means a counterfeit of a name brand product. It is a cheap third party product that claims to be a replacement for the Canon CP-E4.

Here is someone's review of it.
Old 13th of August 2012 (Mon)   #10
NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember

while I hear what you are saying, would you agree that we could call it false advertising? or misleading advertising? The title says "Flash battery pack CP-E4", and there is no mention of the actual brand unless looking closely at the picture...

Old 13th of August 2012 (Mon)   #11
RTPVid
Goldmember

I agree the store's ad is misleading.
Old 13th of August 2012 (Mon)   #12
sempaidavid

Go with the pixel brand. They are great and seem to recycle faster than the canon one. I have both.

http://www.davidcostaphotography.com
sempaidavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of August 2012 (Tue)   #13
Whortleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempaidavid View Post
Go with the pixel brand. They are great and seem to recycle faster than the canon one. I have both.
I got rid of my Canon-brand power packs and now run entirely Pixel TD-381 units because:
  1. They are noticeably faster than Canon.
  2. They cost (UK) about a quarter the price of Canon.
  3. IF one goes down (hasn't happened yet), it wouldn't be a deal-breaker to just get another - I pay $49.99 for mine, shipped.
  4. The Pixel TD-381 uses twin circuits, two banks of 4 batteries. If one battery fails the unit will still function perfectly albeit more slowly on the remaining bank. Most of the others - Canon, Yongnuo, Meikle, Shoot - use a single circuit so if a single cell in the chain of 4/6/8 fails the whole pack goes down. A quick visual clue is to look for the pack 'ready light' - one LED means a single circuit.
Reliability has been 100%, same as the far more expensive Canon version. I should mention that the Pixel TD-381 is an evolving design - my first two have LEDs which twinkle rapidly when recycled, the one which arrived Friday (PCB marked TD-381z) has LEDs which pulse more slowly. Opening up, I see that the circuitry has been completely revamped. Possibly very slightly puzzling if one isn't aware of the evolution, but reassuring that it's not a 'good enough' design with no ongoing assessment of the product. I should also say that Pixel's soldering isn't exactly clean. It certainly works, no doubt of that, but the workmanship is a bit messy.

Counterfeit, 'knock-off', fake.....?If a product purports to be made by (eg) Canon and is actually made by someone else without a licence then it is counterfeit.
"Shoot CP-E4" is certainly misleading but it could also be construed as the 'CP-E4' being information rather than the product name. At worst, this is false advertising because the actual maker is clearly stated.
"Canon CP-E4 made under licence by Fred Flintstone Enterprises" is accurate and a genuine product, even though not actually made by Canon.
"Canon CP-E4" {made by Fred Flintstone Enterprises} is totally inaccurate and not the article which it purports to be.
It's all in the way in which the words are used!

Whether something is a 'rip-off' is equally open to debate. I've been in this business long enough to have used flashguns with external power packs by Strobe Equipment, Courtnay and Braun in the 1960s; long before Canon even started to make flashguns. So, did Canon rip-off the idea from these makers of the 1950s/60s? Or is it just an evolving concept?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TD-381 comparison.jpg (135.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg TD-381_battery_tray.jpg (90.3 KB, 147 views)
Whortleberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of August 2012 (Tue)   #14
D. Vance
Goldmember

I buy nothing but third party stuff. Except for L's and Cameras, everything is bought from eBay. LP-e6s for $14 sure beats the $100 plus that canon charges, and third party's often have more power.
LP-e5's can be had for $6, and intervalometers are $15 (I think Canon charges $170 for an intervalometer).

I am scared of ones that say they are Canon, but are faked, though.
Old 14th of August 2012 (Tue)   #15
PLLphotography
with the TF

I've had no problems from the Pixel brand either. good stuff so far (aside from the nitpick of wishing it had a velcro strap).