Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of April 2009 (Mon)   #31
Grentz
Goldmember

Default Re: My homemade spherical panoramic head design (w/ pics)

Very cool, great results. Thanks for your answer on the parts too...more just curious than anything. I am not good with metal craftsmanship at all

I would love to get one though maybe if you end up building them

www.TechIslands.com - News and Reviews

My Gear List - 60D
Grentz is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of April 2009 (Mon)   #32
czeglin

First, I am not a lawyer.

I think it was great that you took it upon yourself to make a home-brew alternative to commercial heads, but I really don't think this is patentable, and wouldn't be worthwhile to patent even if it was.

However, if you were to patent it, it wouldn't matter if someone had your plans. The idea of a patent is that you make the plans public in exchange for licensing rights. In order to use your idea people have to license it from you. You can charge them a fee for that or simply refuse. But the patent, and thus your invention, becomes available to the public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patentability

Considering that you basically reverse-engineered existing products, I am thinking it would probably not count as either "novel" or "non-obvious". The word obvious is used as it applies to someone "skilled in the art", not a layman. Basically if most engineers working on this problem could reasonably come up with the same solution, the idea is not patentable.

</buzzkill>
Old 20th of April 2009 (Mon)   #33
Nathan
Cream of the Crop

I'm not a lawyer... but I will have a law degree in a few weeks and I might be an attorney if I pass the bar. However, I've not taken any patent law classes.

That said, I'm pretty sure you can patent anything. There are crazy ideas that people patent all the time... lay people filing new mousetraps and toilet paper holders. Whether or not someone can file a patent infringement claim is a different matter... but it doesn't hurt to file a patent anyway when you have a design as detailed as this.

Consider the Gillette 3-blade Mach3 and the Schwick 4-blade Quatro. What's novel or nonobvious about either? They're both patented.

The idea is patent the product, then if you want sell the license to Really Right Stuff or someone who will mass produce it and market it. If you're not interested in that, at least patent it to protect the designs. It's worth it.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of April 2009 (Mon)   #34
5teve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
Very cool, great results. Thanks for your answer on the parts too...more just curious than anything. I am not good with metal craftsmanship at all

I would love to get one though maybe if you end up building them
I would love to be able to build these and sell them, but unfortunately they would take me too much time. I would need to look into how much it would cost to have the parts made by a CNC, but I am pretty sure that once I did that the price would skyrocket. Also, this design would not work for different camera and lens combinations, as it is fixed at one length.

The way I see it, this market is pretty well covered at the moment. You have the Panasaurus at the low end (less than $100), and companies like the Nodal Ninja covering the middle/high-end market (between $200 and $500), and then a bunch of other companies with really high end solutions. There may be room for another player in between the low and mid market, but I would need to do more market research before making that conclusion.

Last edited by 5teve : 9th of October 2009 (Fri) at 16:14.
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of April 2009 (Mon)   #35
5teve

Here are two more panorama shots that I took.

The second one below looks like there are stitching errors on the bricks, but those errors are actually from me trying to edit out the tripod in photoshop! I need to find a good way to paint over the tripod when the ground has details such as bricks. EDIT: I was able to edit out the tripod much better without introducing what looked like stitching errors.

Last edited by 5teve : 21st of April 2009 (Tue) at 17:23.
Old 20th of April 2009 (Mon)   #36
lblaod

amazing, good work!
lblaod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #37
WillOPhotos

really nice man! how will you adjust it when used with a diff lens? fowards and backwards? or have you designed it to be used with that specific lens?
WillOPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #38
René Damkot

Impressive indeed

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #39
jmik26

Nice work! All you need is some DIY powder coating and your set...Jeff
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #40
5teve

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillOPhotos View Post
really nice man! how will you adjust it when used with a diff lens? fowards and backwards? or have you designed it to be used with that specific lens?
I modified the design found here http://xray.uky.edu/people_documents.../panohead.html to fit my specific camera and lens combination. In reality, however, I do not ever see myself using a different lens when doing a spherical panorama as there really would be no point in doing so (that I could figure).

For a standard panoramic shot with subjects further from the lens I am sure this head will still work fine even with different lenses as the chance for parallax error would be small at the greater distances. I will need to do another test to confirm though .

Last edited by 5teve : 9th of October 2009 (Fri) at 18:05.
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #41
5teve

I figured people may be interested in seeing how I constructed the panoramic head, and am including the details below. I was going to start a new thread, but figured it made more sense to keep the build along with the design. I based my assembly/construction off of how it was done here http://xray.uky.edu/people_documents.../panohead.html.

The first step I did was to work on getting the disks for the base. I used a hole saw to rough cut the holes and then cleaned up the holes later.

Here is a picture of the completed disks (2 sets) after cutting and a bit of sanding.

The hole saw did not cut a nice 90 degree edge so I needed to clean up the edge by using a file. I bolted the two disks together and then filed the disks while they rotated on the drill press. This process ensured that the two disks were identical, and also that the edges were perpendicular to the faces.

I experimented using various techiniques to cut the aluminum bar and found the best technique was to use an ordinary hacksaw and a jig. Here is a picture of the jig I used. The jig helps cut at a 90 degree angle, and as an added bonus was also used to true up the cut edges.

Here I am using the jig and a file to true up the end on what is to be the vertical arm. This edge needed to be exactly at 90 degrees.

Once all my parts were cut I used a drill press to cut all the holes and tapped the holes that needed to accept a bolt. A drill press is an absolute must if you are planning on building one yourself.

Here is a shot of all the parts after machining and sanding.

Last edited by 5teve : 9th of October 2009 (Fri) at 16:17.
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #42
5teve

Aluminum is actually a relatively soft metal, and I knew that if I didn't protect it that may panoramic head would become all dinged and scratched up easily. In fact by just laying the parts on top of each other for test fitting I was able to see the parts getting scratched! A solution to this problem is to anodize the aluminum. This process actually forms a thin layer that is harder than the raw aluminum and protects it.

Here is a picture of the parts being anodized.

After anodizing the parts don't look quite as shiny, but they have a more uniform color throughout. They also appear to be a bit "whiter" than raw aluminum. Most importantly, however, the parts do not seem to get scratched nearly as easily as before.

Here is picture of the arm parts after anodizing.

Here is a picture of the disks and associated parts.

Here is a closeup of the indexing washer that I created. You can see the one through hole that I use with the locking pin to prevent rotation.

Picture of the base assembled without the arm attached. The screw used to hold the assembly together rides on a small bearing to prevent it from tightening or loosening when the base is spun.

Here is the completed head, but with the vertical arm removed. Only one knob holds the arm on so it is easy to break down for travel.

Picture of the arm disassembled. Also, note the c-clip holding the camera thumbscrew so that it will not fall out.

And one more final shot of the completed head.

Last edited by 5teve : 22nd of April 2009 (Wed) at 10:22.
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #43
ryant35
Goldmember

Wow, that really is DIY. It looked like something you manufactured in a machine shop.

1DsMKII, 2 7D's & Grips & 1 dead 40D, 24-104mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 1.4X TC III, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8, 580EXII
www.ryantorresphotography.com "Ducky in the City" Fun for the ducky loving community. Photography Facebook Fan Page
ryant35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #44
SYS
Cream of the Crop

As in the "Small Flash and Studio Lighting," we really need a DIY sticky in the "Accessories and Storage" section here.

Great job, Steve, on your DIY, and the step by step pictorial!

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
SYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #45
kndguy

Damn dude... fantastic work!
kndguy is offline   Reply With Quote