Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of April 2009 (Fri)   #1
int2str

Default Honda Center 6 inch limit...

Hey all!

I got tickets to the Ducks vs. Sharks hockey game on Tuesday in Los Angeles. The Honda Center camera policy is no "professional" lenses larger than 6 inches.

The tickets are in the "nose bleed" section of the stadium. So I was planning to bring my 70-200 to the game. Now it looks like I can't anymore....

Questions:
1) Has anybody every gotten through the door at the Honda Center with a 70-200mm?

2) What is the longest, yet low light capable lens that is less than 6"? Preferably a recent lens that Calumet may loan out?

3) If I can only bring my Tamron 28-75mm, should I just leave the camera at home?
int2str is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of April 2009 (Fri)   #2
dmwierz
Goldmember

Default Re: Honda Center 6 inch limit...

Quote:
No video, audio or cameras with professional lenses (maximum 6 inches). The camera policy is subject to change depending on each show's individual policy.
There are 2 aspects of this rule, only one of which you noted. The length of the lens has to be 6" or less AND not a professional lens. The decision on what is or is not allowed is left to the person at the gate, and they often don't have a clue what a professional lens is.

From the nose bleed section, even a 400 would be kinda short. This shot is from the "200" level in the United Center (twice as close as your seats) and is taken with a 400, twice as long as your 200. Basically, it's 4X zoomed from what you'll see :

"12 April 09: Chicago Blackhawks right wing Dustin Byfuglien (33) being hauled down by Detroit Red Wings defenseman Jonathan Ericsson (52) during an NHL hockey game between the Blackhawks and the Red Wings, at the United Center, Chicago, Illinois, won by the Blackhawks 3-0."

Focal Length 400 mm
Exposure Time 1/1000 sec
Aperture f/2.8
ISO Equivalent 1600

If I were you, I'd just enjoy the game and not worry about taking pictures.

Dennis "
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

Last edited by dmwierz : 17th of April 2009 (Fri) at 19:48.
dmwierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of April 2009 (Fri)   #3
asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwierz View Post
If I were you, I'd just enjoy the game and not worry about taking pictures.
I agree with Dennis. You won't be able to get any good shots that far up w/ a short lens. Unless of course someone comes up w/ a 6", non-professional 600mm f/1.8, I think you should have a hot dog and a beer and watch the fight, er, uh, I mean, uh.....the game. If you really feel you just HAVE to get a shot or 2, try to make your way down during the game for a drive-by as close as you can get and see what develops (pun intended).

asysin2leads is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #4
Project22a

200 f/2.8L is just under 6 inches.
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #5
eigga
Goldmember

Just buy some photos from Dennis as your memories...problem solved
Instagram
eigga is offline   Reply With Quote