Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of April 2009 (Mon)   #1
ngrohosky

Arrow do i need a business license?

do you have one?

this summer, im beginning to shoot portraits for families, take high school senior photos, and hopefully break into the engagement/wedding scene. one of my friends keeps insisting that i need a business license.

do i?
do you have one?
(if so, what kind of work do you do that requires this?)
ngrohosky is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of April 2009 (Mon)   #2
tracknut

Default Re: do i need a business license?

If you need a business license, it's a local requirement. Contact your city hall in the town you live in, and ask them.

Yes I have one, but I'm up in Folsom CA, which could be completely different than your situation.

Dave
tracknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of April 2009 (Mon)   #3
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
If you need a business license, it's a local requirement. Contact your city hall in the town you live in, and ask them.

Yes I have one, but I'm up in Folsom CA, which could be completely different than your situation.

Dave
To add, you will likely need a sales tax license in addition to or in place of a business license.

My town doesn't require a business license for photographers, but I am required to collect sales tax.

As Dave said, your city hall and/or county courthouse would be the place to find out what you need.

POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds
Full Gear List & Feedback
DDCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of April 2009 (Mon)   #4
Brideshooter
User is banned from forums

Whether you are required to have one or not, play it safe and get one.
Brideshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of April 2009 (Mon)   #5
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brideshooter View Post
Whether you are required to have one or not, play it safe and get one.
In many places there isn't a license to get. Business licenses are almost always trade specific. If you walk into City Hall and say "I want a business license", they'll find out what trade you are involved in and determine if you qualify for that license. If they don't require a license for that trade, they'll just tell you that one is not needed.

Some places have generic business licenses that they require anyone operating a business to have, but many only require licensing for trades in which specific municipal codes are required to be followed.

Again, a tax license is likely required and that is normally issued by the state.

But all we can do is guess what may be required and the local government offices need to be visited.

POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds
Full Gear List & Feedback
DDCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2009 (Tue)   #6
asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse

I would start here.

California Sec of State - Business Portal

Then here:
Starting A Business

It will explain all you need to know about starting a business or getting a license. I know w/ Ohio's it also had the county forms I would need, as well. For instance, I do not have a brick and mortar studio, so the vendors license I'm required to get is different than if I did have a studio. It's little things like that the website above will help with.

asysin2leads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2009 (Sat)   #7
mobileman

Many suppliers related to the photography industry, who sell matboards, framing supplies etc and also various print shops won't work with you unless you have a business license. This is for tax purposes primarily. It will save you money in the long run if you buy in volume during the year.
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2009 (Sat)   #8
Gregory C

yeah, there will be that chance you photograph the local tax collector's daughter, & he will ask why you are not collecting or paying sales teaxes,,,
Gregory C is offline   Reply With Quote