do i need a business license?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 20 Apr 2009 (Monday) 15:53   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ngrohosky
Joined Mar 2009
327 posts
LONG BEACH, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

do you have one?

this summer, im beginning to shoot portraits for families, take high school senior photos, and hopefully break into the engagement/wedding scene. one of my friends keeps insisting that i need a business license.

do i?
do you have one?
(if so, what kind of work do you do that requires this?)

Post #1, Apr 20, 2009 15:53:26

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tracknut
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2005
1,740 posts
Folsom, California
[MORE/SHARE]

If you need a business license, it's a local requirement. Contact your city hall in the town you live in, and ask them.

Yes I have one, but I'm up in Folsom CA, which could be completely different than your situation.

Dave

Post #2, Apr 20, 2009 16:44:02

Performance/sport dog photographerexternal link
Facebookexternal link
"Always available to shoot your dog"

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
Joined Jun 2007
13,313 posts
South Dakota
[MORE/SHARE]

tracknut wrote in post #7769708external link
If you need a business license, it's a local requirement. Contact your city hall in the town you live in, and ask them.

Yes I have one, but I'm up in Folsom CA, which could be completely different than your situation.

Dave

To add, you will likely need a sales tax license in addition to or in place of a business license.

My town doesn't require a business license for photographers, but I am required to collect sales tax.

As Dave said, your city hall and/or county courthouse would be the place to find out what you need.

Post #3, Apr 20, 2009 21:22:22

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=9903477#post9​903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

Brideshooter
Joined Mar 2009
54 posts
Central Missouri
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Whether you are required to have one or not, play it safe and get one.

Post #4, Apr 20, 2009 22:44:52

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
Joined Jun 2007
13,313 posts
South Dakota
[MORE/SHARE]

Brideshooter wrote in post #7771803external link
Whether you are required to have one or not, play it safe and get one.

In many places there isn't a license to get. Business licenses are almost always trade specific. If you walk into City Hall and say "I want a business license", they'll find out what trade you are involved in and determine if you qualify for that license. If they don't require a license for that trade, they'll just tell you that one is not needed.

Some places have generic business licenses that they require anyone operating a business to have, but many only require licensing for trades in which specific municipal codes are required to be followed.

Again, a tax license is likely required and that is normally issued by the state.

But all we can do is guess what may be required and the local government offices need to be visited.

Post #5, Apr 20, 2009 23:15:38

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=9903477#post9​903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
Joined Dec 2006
6,325 posts
Lebanon, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

I would start here.

California Sec of State - Business Portalexternal link

Then here:
Starting A Businessexternal link

It will explain all you need to know about starting a business or getting a license. I know w/ Ohio's it also had the county forms I would need, as well. For instance, I do not have a brick and mortar studio, so the vendors license I'm required to get is different than if I did have a studio. It's little things like that the website above will help with.

Post #6, Apr 21, 2009 01:53:13 as a reply to DDCSD's post 2 hours earlier.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ....com&ctz=America/Ne​w_Yorkexternal link

mobileman
Joined Apr 2009
118 posts
Loveland, Colorado
[MORE/SHARE]

Many suppliers related to the photography industry, who sell matboards, framing supplies etc and also various print shops won't work with you unless you have a business license. This is for tax purposes primarily. It will save you money in the long run if you buy in volume during the year.

Post #7, Apr 25, 2009 15:50:40

Gregory ­ C
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2009
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

yeah, there will be that chance you photograph the local tax collector's daughter, & he will ask why you are not collecting or paying sales teaxes,,,

Post #8, Apr 25, 2009 20:11:56

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,977 views & 0 likes for this thread
do i need a business license?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES