Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of June 2009 (Tue)   #91
ChrisMc73
Goldmember

Default Re: Post your Best Tripod and Head Combination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
Chris,

if you don't have 400/500/600 lens then 3451 is more than enough for you.
Yes, I realize that, I plan to one day get a 70-200 L, so I know when I do that, the GT3541 will hold my gear. And if I ever step up to 400/500/600, I'll be ready too.

Now you have me debating on the Markins and PhotoClam ballheads!

I guess according the the ball and housing diameters, the PC-48NS is comparable to the Markins M20? Its $100 less than the Markins too.

PC-48NS
http://reallybigcameras.com/PhotoClam/PC-48N_NS.htm
Ball Diameter - 48mm/1.89in
Housing Diameter - 58mm/2.28in

M20
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/M20.php?req=nqs
Ball Diameter - 1.89 in (48 mm)
Housing Diameter - 2.28 in (58 mm)

Last edited by ChrisMc73 : 23rd of June 2009 (Tue) at 16:34.
ChrisMc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of June 2009 (Tue)   #92
onewing

Wimberly II head
Gitzo 1325 CF tripod
Canon EF 500L IS USM
Canon EF Extender 1.4X II
Canon 40D
Canon Speedlite 430EX
Better Beamer Flash extender
Canon off-Camera shoe cord II
Canon Remote Switch RS-80
Wimberly Plates: P-40, F-9
LensCoat for 500mm
Old 23rd of June 2009 (Tue)   #93
Bubble
User is banned from forums

yup..48 is the same. However, if you want the base dia of your ballhead to fit perfectly to your 3541LS, get 54NS. Same size.
Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of June 2009 (Tue)   #94
kumarrishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodog View Post
Dolica Proline Carbon Fiber Tripod CX620B104 = Cheap ($100) and light, strong as heck.

Cullman Magnesit 35NM Ball Head = Again cheap ($160), Holds 66 pounds, designed and built excellent, very smooth motion even with heavy gear. Big but remarkably light for its size

I'm editing to add additional info.

Maximum load: I don't know. I've had a gripped body/Bigmos on top with no issues. I've also had Stellarvue 20x85mm binoculars on top with no issues, and a gripped body/Sigma 180mm macro/macro rail with no issues. The weakest link would be the tripod, and it'll hold a ton of weight.

Tripod/Ball Head Weight: 5.2 Pounds

Best Suited For: Well heck, I don't know. Holding up camera gear? Seriously, you could easily travel with this. Take the ball head off and stuff it in a bag (soft case was included), throw the tripod in its case, and there you go.

I am going through some financial Crunch but needed a good tripod hope the Dolica model is good for that...will give it a try

thanks for info

regards
kumarrishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of June 2009 (Tue)   #95
ChrisMc73
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
yup..48 is the same. However, if you want the base dia of your ballhead to fit perfectly to your 3541LS, get 54NS. Same size.
So the Photo Clam PC-54NS is $329 vs. the Markins M20-NQS at $359, a $30 difference?
I think I'll go with the Markins M20-NQS and get my RSS clamp and plate.
Old 1st of July 2009 (Wed)   #96
noelty

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 and 484RC2

Old 1st of July 2009 (Wed)   #97
kekoa

wow, i had no idea triods were so darn expensive. I have a $50 aluminum gig that i bought from bh. Its very light for travel.

Since i have no idea which models are being referenced throughout this thread can someone recommend a nicer tripod set up that i can also travel and hike with? My budget is $100-300. Btw, I'll be using the mk II and 24-105 lens. Possible a 70-200.

thanks
kekoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2009 (Wed)   #98
lk2fly

1. Velbon El Carmagne 640 carbon fiber legs
2. Markins Q3 ballhead with quick release plate
3. The 4-piece legs are light weight (3.2 pounds), has flip lock latches, and collapse to 18 inches. The Q-ball (Emille) is compact and lightweight (0.84 pounds), has a panning base, and claims to support 65 pounds. I’ve only had about 9 pounds loaded on this configuration and it was rock steady. Quick to setup and easy to carry in the accompanying soft case.
lk2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2009 (Thu)   #99
Gino17

The old Gitzo #210 I had for over 17 years is far too heavy for me, replaced it with a Manfrotto #055CXPRO3 several months ago, I feel much lighter now.

Gino17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2009 (Thu)   #100
Gino17

I am using the Manfrotto #486RC2 ball head, enough to support my equipment including this miniture EOS-1 Ds Mark III, hahaha~~~

Gino17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2009 (Thu)   #101
ChrisMc73
Goldmember

Now that is funny.
Old 2nd of July 2009 (Thu)   #102
JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop

Are you sure that that is within the load rating?

J.

"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of July 2009 (Sat)   #103
ChrisMc73
Goldmember

Anyone know or care to help me find a comparable Feisol tripod to the Gitzo GT3541LS?
I think this one looks to be pretty close to the same features and specs...
Feisol CT3472LV, but at $598 I am only $36 away from the GT3541LS, so why wouldn't I just get the Gitzo?

This Feisol Tournament Class CT-3442 is half the price of the Gitzo, but falls short on some of the specs, like height etc.
I know its hard to beat the Gitzo in every category except price, and I realize you pay for what you get, just having a hard time pulling the trigger when I can get so much more with the money I'll spend on the Gitzo setup vs. another setup.
I'm still sold on the GT3541LS, Markins M20, RSS clamp and L plate, but having a hard time convincing the wife another $1000+ is needed for the tripod setup.

Last edited by ChrisMc73 : 4th of July 2009 (Sat) at 23:40.
Old 5th of July 2009 (Sun)   #104
Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
Anyone know or care to help me find a comparable Feisol tripod to the Gitzo GT3541LS?
Feisol CT3472LV, but at $598 I am only $36 away from the GT3541LS, so why wouldn't I just get the Gitzo?

This Feisol Tournament Class CT-3442 is half the price of the Gitzo, but falls short on some of the specs, like height etc.
I know its hard to beat the Gitzo in every category except price, and I realize you pay for what you get, just having a hard time pulling the trigger when I can get so much more with the money I'll spend on the Gitzo setup vs. another setup.
I'm still sold on the GT3541LS, Markins M20, RSS clamp and L plate, but having a hard time convincing the wife another $1000+ is needed for the tripod setup.
Time to learn how to spend money with your "WIFE" agreement.
Tareq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of July 2009 (Sun)   #105
JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post

If you're sold on the 3541LS, then that's what I'd get. I hate it when I wind up second guessing myself later. I don't know of anyone who has gotten one that wasn't convinced they made the right decision when they got it.

If you have another ballhead, you could use that for a while and see how it works out. But going for it is probably the best route in the long run, IMHO.

J.

"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote