Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Performing Arts Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of April 2009 (Thu)   #1
veddderman123

Default Photo Pass question / complaint

help a noob out.

Last night I went to see The Gaslight Anthem in a pretty small venue here in Albuquerque. We talked to the band before going in and they gave me approval to shoot. But the door guy would not let me in the building with a camera without a photo pass. and again this is not like a huge venue. its a very very small club so its not like I was trying to get into the Garden to shoot Metallica or Kiss or something.

And then of course when we got in, there was a handful of people with cameras and no visable photo passes.... I was totally bummed. But still enjoyed the show. But for next time whats the best way to get a photo pass ahead of time?
Old 23rd of April 2009 (Thu)   #2
kmb

Default Re: Photo Pass question / complaint

Request the band to put some sort of "photo OK for him" marking on the guest list they have on the door. That should do it, if things work anything like they do here.
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2009 (Thu)   #3
bacchanal
Cream of the Crop

Since you got permission from the band right before the show, it might have been a good idea to get the name of someone with the band management, so they could help you out if you have any issues getting in.
If you get permission before hand, try to have an email or something from the band stating it's okay to shoot. Take it with you and usually the venue will not have a problem with it or they will try to find the person that gave you permission, but the band will typically have you on the list for a photo pass.

Keep in mind that any one of the following can tell you not to shoot: the band/management, promoter, or venue.
Old 24th of April 2009 (Fri)   #4
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA

Good advice above, but I'll take it a step further. Get the cell phone number of the road/tour manager or someone who affiliated with the band who will be at the show. Nothing gets the ants marching like dialing a number on a cell phone while the goober at the door is reading the emails from the band/label stating that you have permission to shoot.

POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds
Full Gear List & Feedback
DDCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2009 (Fri)   #5
kmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCSD View Post
Good advice above, but I'll take it a step further. Get the cell phone number of the road/tour manager or someone who affiliated with the band who will be at the show.
I agree. But as a side note, when it is "not a big venue" ( =not a big concert), there may not be anybody who is dedicated for doing the management stuff on-site. The responsibility for stuff like that may be done by one of the band members or the guy who takes care of the T-Shirt sales, for instance. Just something to bear in mind as they might be busy to take care of other things than photographers not backed by a medium. Then again, never hurts to ask for "tour manager's phone number".

I've learned that often times I get what I need by finding a way that bothers the management/band as little as possible (what it is depends on the situation).
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2009 (Fri)   #6
zero99

Quote:
Originally Posted by veddderman123 View Post
help a noob out.

Last night I went to see The Gaslight Anthem in a pretty small venue here in Albuquerque. We talked to the band before going in and they gave me approval to shoot. But the door guy would not let me in the building with a camera without a photo pass. and again this is not like a huge venue. its a very very small club so its not like I was trying to get into the Garden to shoot Metallica or Kiss or something.

And then of course when we got in, there was a handful of people with cameras and no visable photo passes.... I was totally bummed. But still enjoyed the show. But for next time whats the best way to get a photo pass ahead of time?

Hi Vedderman check this previous post for more information.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ght=photo+pass

and get yourself a 50 1.8 if your interested in starting out in concert photography.Its the most affordable lens on the market that will help you shoot gigs in low light.

good luck.
400D, 5D, 50 1.8, 85 1.8 ,
24-70L 2.8 ,70-200L IS 2.8
zero99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of April 2009 (Tue)   #7
Iain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero99 View Post
Hi Vedderman check this previous post for more information.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ght=photo+pass

and get yourself a 50 1.8 if your interested in starting out in concert photography.Its the most affordable lens on the market that will help you shoot gigs in low light.

good luck.
I agree 50 1.8 is good lense at a cheap price!
Iain. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of April 2009 (Wed)   #8
dutchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by veddderman123 View Post
help a noob out.

i guess the guys on the door are just doing their job and the band should have probably advised them you were allowed to take your camera in. i had no problems getting permission shooting gaslight, basically as i allways do, email the tour manager/band before the show, usually get an ok email in a few days, and they put you on the door list for a photo pass, i didnt visably wear a pass for gaslight and i havnt for any other band either i just put it in my pocket and show it when i need to, thats probably why you didnt see anyone with them. mainly all the bands i take pics of are punk bands in smaller venues and i find them to be very accomodating as far as photography is concerned provided you ask first, you should have no issue. although i did have an issue when i took pics at murder by death last week, they have an open photography policy so anyone can bring a camera in, thing was, a guy on the door didnt accept that when i arrived, after speaking to someone else there i managed to take my camera in. just look at it as half the fun!
Old 12th of October 2009 (Mon)   #9
omnom

How is Gaslight live? I'm shooting them at the Kool Haus in 2 days.
omnom is offline   Reply With Quote