how to hook up DSLR to laptop/computer for live view?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 24 Apr 2009 (Friday) 23:56   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

polobreaka
Joined Nov 2008
902 posts
Huntington Beach, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

i would like to know if it is possible to hook up my 30D with the provided RCA cord directly to my laptop to view pictures instantly right after i shoot them?

i have a "prom" themed event to shoot and ill be a static photographer like school dances. i want to know if it is possible to hook up directly to my laptop and to view the pics right after i shoot them to show to the people.

im not even sure if im making any sense.....:cry:

Post #1, Apr 24, 2009 23:56:53

Gear List and Feedbacks
SonnyG Photographyexternal link
Facebookexternal linkhttp://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=846501

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Live View? No.

Tethered? Yes.

Not the RCA cord. USB. Or WiFi if you can afford it.

Post #2, Apr 25, 2009 00:01:43

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

brecklundin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
2,179 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I am assuming the 30d will work the same way but I know with my 40D I can tether it via a USB cable and the Canon software. As I recall you can config the setup to save the shots locally as they are taken. If you setup a 2nd display attached to your laptop you could then put up the shot w/o a need for people to move around or, even more important, want to reach out and fiddle with your laptop. Anyway, you could then have something set to monitor that directory for new files and automagically open on the 2nd display by extending the desktop and moving the preview window to that display. Depends on how you prefer to make it work.

It is my experience from running demos for clients, there always seems to be one or more in the room that "knows what they are doing" and wants to press buttons to prove it. So, I started dragging around an external display, even before there were nice light and cheap LCD panel displays. Then I kept the laptop setup where they could not get their grubby mitts on it! :lol:

Post #3, Apr 25, 2009 00:21:58

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

polobreaka
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2008
902 posts
Huntington Beach, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

yea thats it. sorry i didnt know the correct term. i didnt know the usb cord could tether. i thought i had to use the rca cord.

anyways, can you guide me in how to setup tethering? or is there a guide online i can follow?

thanks!

Post #4, Apr 25, 2009 00:48:02 as a reply to brecklundin's post 26 minutes earlier.

Gear List and Feedbacks
Facebookexternal linkhttp://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=846501

Galaxy99
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
1,142 posts
So. Cal
[MORE/SHARE]

I heard that Lightroom 2.0 has such function. Well, personally, I never tried before.

Post #5, Apr 25, 2009 01:19:05

Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
brecklundin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
2,179 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

polobreaka wrote in post #7799901external link
yea thats it. sorry i didnt know the correct term. i didnt know the usb cord could tether. i thought i had to use the rca cord.

anyways, can you guide me in how to setup tethering? or is there a guide online i can follow?

thanks!

Cool... ;)

I don't have a link handy but if you download the latest software from the Canon site, you will also find a guide for the software that will get you started. After than there are a few threads around here that have all the info. I basically just hooked it up and launched the software and started playing. Then I went to the manuals and did my searches.

here is a link to the Canon site with files for the 30D. I don't remember exactly which files you want but it all centers around Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) that came on the CD. I am pretty well done for the night or I would dig up the exact details for ya...but if you can't someone will certainly help out in short order.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...egoryid=314&modelid​=12929external link

Have FUN... :D

EDIT: Sorry i was not thinking, as usual, but you need the Canon EOS Utility installed (actually probably just install all of it, the EOS Utility, ZoomBrowser and DPP) and they call it "Remote Shooting". That should clear it up. here is a link to the manual for the EOS Utility:
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com ...300001103/eu2.4b-w-en.pdfexternal link

BTW, there are apparently other programs that are designed to specifically manage the whole tethering thing and like Galaxy99 mention, I think I read that LR2.x supports some form of it but maybe I am mis-remembering.

Post #6, Apr 25, 2009 01:37:38

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

In LR2, you need to set up a "Watched folder". But you'll still need the Canon software.
Personally, I use Eos Utility & DPP.

Post #7, Apr 25, 2009 08:26:12

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
5,545 posts
Racine, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

In addition to what has already been suggested take a look at DSLR Remote Proexternal link from Breeze Systems; it has tons of great features you wouldn't find in other software.

Post #8, Apr 25, 2009 16:56:39

Gear List

polobreaka
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2008
902 posts
Huntington Beach, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks guys! you guys are awesome! just what i was looking for.

Post #9, Apr 25, 2009 19:45:45

Gear List and Feedbacks

LIST NEARBY THREADS
10,380 views & 0 likes for this thread
how to hook up DSLR to laptop/computer for live view?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES