Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How long does it take for you to edit wedding photos (pros)
24 hours or less! 12 12.90%
2-5 days 13 13.98%
about a week 13 13.98%
2-3 weeks 29 31.18%
4-6 weeks 13 13.98%
2-3 months or longer 3 3.23%
I just wanted to vote but this does not apply 17 18.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th of April 2009 (Wed)   #1
2.8orfaster
User is banned from forums

Default How long does it take for you to edit a batch of wedding photos?

On average how long does it take for you to get your photos back to your clients?

Please cast your vote.

Last edited by 2.8orfaster : 29th of April 2009 (Wed) at 18:16.
2.8orfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of April 2009 (Wed)   #2
cory1848

Default Re: How long does it take for you to edit a batch of wedding photos?

I give 4 weeks, it doesnt take 4 weeks straight to edit photos but that gives me time to order any supplies I might run out of, make edits and sit on them for a day or so to see if I like them, etc...

"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of April 2009 (Wed)   #3
-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -

2-5 days if i really sit on it. 2 weeks if i take my time.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of April 2009 (Wed)   #4
tim
Light Bringer

I guess you mean elapsed time, not total effort. My effort is about 16 hours to cull and color correct. Depending on the time of year this is finished anywhere between 3 days and 6 weeks after the wedding.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of April 2009 (Thu)   #5
Christopher Steven b
Goldmember

Tim: curious about how much you have been able to cut down your PP time as you've become more proficient / hit upon the right workflow. In other words: what takes you 16 hours to do now, took you x time before?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

Ottawa Wedding Photography Site | Ottawa Wedding Photographer Blog

Christopher Steven b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of April 2009 (Thu)   #6
tim
Light Bringer

I've recently gotten slower, since my assistant took over that job and I get less practice. Culling a wedding used to take 16 hours, now it's 4-8. Color correction used to take 8 hours, now 3-6. It depends on how many similar shots and how difficult the lighting conditions were.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2009 (Fri)   #7
Rudi
Goldmember

I seem to average about 2-3 weeks from shooting a wedding to having images ready (and I mean ready!). Obviously, I don't spend the entire three weeks at the computer, it's a love/hate relationship. Once I start feeling like I've seen thousands of wedding photos and can't tell them apart any more, I walk away and come back when I'm feeling refreshed again. Time wise (how much time I spend *actually processing wedding images*)... Tim's assessment sounds about right.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
Rudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2009 (Sat)   #8
Shooting

About 1 week, very rarely more than that. I never have had to take more than 400 images at a wedding and I give every image my individual attention, I don't believe in batch processing..you always have to go back and work on a few individually so if you do that why not do it right the first time...
Shooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2009 (Sun)   #9
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy

way too bloody long. I'm brutally slow. It's painful for me and my clients... hahaha. But typically three weeks in the beginning of the season and up to two months by the end of the season due to the fact that I fall behind more and more with each wedding.
picturecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2009 (Sun)   #10
lil_miss
Goldmember

If I get enthused it takes me about 20 hours to cull and process from raw to JPG (approx 350ish photos).. this includes colour correct, plus additional effects etc.
Old 4th of May 2009 (Mon)   #11
sando
Goldmember

Usually;

Couple hours to select/pick/reject

A day to design the album and fine-tune it

Then, after it's signed-off by the B&G

A week to go through and PP/edit all images used in the album
Old 4th of May 2009 (Mon)   #12
PeaceFire
Goldmember

I procrastinate, so I NEED to get it done right away. If I let it go I'd wait until the last minute (I give myself 6 weeks in the contract) and then I'll do a rushed job. I like to start the day after the wedding and not stop until I'm done. I don't schedule anything 4 days after a wedding so this is possible.
Old 28th of March 2014 (Fri)   #13
K-Liss

nice to know im not crazy , a client recently called me out & saying i was lazy cuz he didnt get enough photos after 48hrs of his event ( he already received 48 edited pictures ) i told him it would be at least a week till i go through the 650 pictures & sort em out

thats was on a set of 100 pic of the event
Old 28th of March 2014 (Fri)   #14
umphotography
Cream of the Crop

I think the question has many answers. Really depends on how many you shoot and how far you go with your post processing. For me, and Probably most of the pros on this board, getting it 100% right in camera is the trick to faster post processing. Getting proficient with supplemental lighting is the other big trick. This will cut your post processing time by 1/3 if you learn to light properly and use the available light properly.

I use Lightroom. Its really fast but Im going to incorporate photo mechanic this year for culling. LR just takes too dam long for 1:1 files on import and to be very frank, Im ready to hit the sack on Saturday nights and I dont want to wait on LR to load the 1:1 previews when ive been out 12 hours.

So Im going to get PM because I know its gonna speed things up.

Next thing i do to speed up my process is have a preset import of LR that already has base settings in place for sharpening/contrast/tone curves/ad all the adjustments I put on base images.

At that point im cropping and making some final tweeks for proof discs, I have some additional actions that I have made of for B&Ws ,sepia, and other affects. Then Im sending clients proof discs to make final selections for their albums and Images they want to put on the wall.

I do not do any final processing until i make the albums and I include final processed images on a final disc when i deliver the clients albums and wall prints.

So I have really cut back on my times because I am not final processing 6-800 images to give to the clients. I typically import on Saturday night, cull Sunday. Monday its about 8 hours in LR to complete the base proof disc workflow. You could easily make prints with the proof discs. I just do not see a good reason to put all the extra work and effort into final processing images that people are not go to print.

anyway, thats how im keeping my costs down. And, I am not loosing booking. Once i explain what I am doing, people seem to understand. If they decided after I delived final discs and products that the wanted to print something big ( larger than 8X10) they would send me an email and I would clean up and final process the file for them and order their new 16x20 for them and email the file to them to keep.
Facebook
umphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of March 2014 (Sat)   #15
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember

How long it takes to edit and how long until I deliver are two very different things.

I can cull 1200-1500 images to 600-800 in under and hour. After that depending on my mood I can basic edit anywhere between 60-150 per hour. On a good run I could cull, edit and do creative edits all within 10 hours.

My SOOC is very good though and I also cull in camera whilst shooting.

Incidentally my clients start getting photos during the wedding day itself. Normally during the reception 5 images are uploaded to my Facebook page followed by a further 30 images within 2-3 hours of getting home after the wedding. The couples have 35 photos before they even wake up the following morning.

Last edited by memoriesoftomorrow : 29th of March 2014 (Sat) at 02:48.
memoriesoftomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote