Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 30 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 03:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is It Safe To Use . . .

drums4monty
35 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Durham, England
Apr 30, 2009 03:23 |  #1

Hi All

I am new to these forums and to the Canon EOS system, I have just purchased the EOS 1000D and I am very happy with it. My questions are: I have been told that I cannot use my old flash guns that I used on my Canon AE1 on digital cameras as it blows the electronics or something, is this true? I have several cameras from my film days including a Metz 45 CL.

Second, I have the Portaflash Studio Lighting System, again from my film days, would I saftely use these lights with the EOS 1000D.

I am sorry if these questions have been asked before, but like I say, I am new.

Many thanks

Alan

Canon EOS 1000D, Canon EF 50mm 1.8 lens, Canon EF-S 18mm - 55mm lens, Canon EF 75mm - 300mm lens, 360AFD Flash

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/drums4monty/external link

sponsored links
jbrown7815
731 posts
Joined May 2008
DMAFB,Tucson, Az
Apr 30, 2009 04:12 |  #2

You can use your old flash guns, just not ON your cameras hotshot. You CAN use them off-camera.

Hope this helps.

~Jesse~

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008
Trinidad and Tobago W.I.
Apr 30, 2009 06:25 |  #3

Check here for Flash Voltages .

http://www.botzilla.co​m/photo/strobeVolts.ht​mlexternal link

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/external link

drums4monty
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Durham, England
Apr 30, 2009 08:18 |  #4

Hi Jesse

That does, many thanks. How would I use/fire the flash gun of camera?

Alan

Canon EOS 1000D, Canon EF 50mm 1.8 lens, Canon EF-S 18mm - 55mm lens, Canon EF 75mm - 300mm lens, 360AFD Flash

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,145 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 30, 2009 09:22 |  #5

Current Canons tolerate 250v trigger voltage...but some old flashes have even higher voltage trigger circuits! Best to consult the Botzilla link.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

drums4monty
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Durham, England
May 01, 2009 06:41 |  #6

Does all the above advice include my Portaflash System?

alex87
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2009
May 02, 2009 10:29 |  #7

Hello
I think that this is the good place to post this question. Like drums4monty i have Eos Digital Rebel XS (or eos 1000d) and i am worried to have done a mistake. Some days ago i have used my eos 1000d with an old NISSIN flash. Everything seemed fully functunal after that but some days later my friends sent to me this page

http://www.botzilla.co​m/photo/strobeVolts.ht​mlexternal link

where is declared that maximum voltage trigger for canon eos series is 6V.
After that i have measured the votage across the NISSIN test and i have discovered that is about 55 volts (maybe too high??)
All forum i have cosulted say that the maximium trigger voltage for canon eos 350d 0r 400d is about 250 volts but no one say something about the eos 1000d.
So if someone of you know the voltage trigger limit for eos 1000d please respond..
Sorry for my bad english..
Thanks

alex

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,527 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
May 02, 2009 11:27 as a reply to alex87's post |  #8

where is declared that maximum voltage trigger for canon eos series is 6V.

Canon cameras since the 20D can handle trigger voltages up to 250 volts. They will have that information in the specs listed in the manual or on the Canon website.

The 1000D is the same as the Rebel XS in the US, so it's safe to 250 volts.

alex87
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2009
May 02, 2009 12:21 |  #9

Thank you RDKrik
Yes, someone also says that have found this limit in the manul but i don't find it. The manul says only "not use high voltage flash, it could not function or similar thigs". I have tried too many times to find this information in Canon website but i don't find it, there is no table with voltage limit. Meybe i'm not able to find it correctly. If you know where to find it plese let me know.
Thank you so much

Alex

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008
May 02, 2009 12:29 |  #10

read your user manual. While Canon specifies that the PC cord can handle under 250v it will only state not to use high trigger voltage flashes in the hot shoe. The problem and confusion comes from that Canon will not specifically state what voltage is safe in the hot shoe. Many, who know this stuff, have inferred from looking at the guts of the body that both connections are in essence the same circuit and therefore can handle the same voltage. However be aware that the Canon flashes all trigger around 5v-6v at their foot. Sooooo, it comes down to deciding which way to jump. Your call completely . It's possible Canon refuses to state to create concern and to sell more Canon flashes.

If you search the forums under trigger voltage you will find a number of threads.

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Northern Kentucky
May 02, 2009 12:34 |  #11

brecklundin wrote in post #7844521external link
read your user manual. While Canon specifies that the PC cord can handle under 250v it will only state not to use high trigger voltage flashes in the hot shoe. The problem and confusion comes from that Canon will not specifically state what voltage is safe in the hot shoe. Many, who know this stuff, have inferred from looking at the guts of the body that both connections are in essence the same circuit and therefore can handle the same voltage. However be aware that the Canon flashes all trigger around 5v-6v at their foot. Sooooo, it comes down to deciding which way to jump. Your call completely . It's possible Canon refuses to state to create concern and to sell more Canon flashes.

If you search the forums under trigger voltage you will find a number of threads.

In a roundabout way Canon USA has indicated at all of the Canon DSLR cameras since the 20D are fine to 250 Volts on both the chassis PC sync and hotshoe.

See this technical link:

http://www.digitaljour​nalist.org/issue0703/t​ech-tips.htmlexternal link

Some of the newer cameras are not listed as this info is a bit dated.

The nut of this info indicates "The trigger circuit voltage (TCV) rating for any EOS SLR is the same on the hot shoe as it is on the PC terminal (if the camera has one)".

and

"Canon Digital SLRs safe for TCV up to 250 volts:
EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds
EOS 30D, 20D, 5D
EOS Digital Rebel XTi, XT (400D/350D)"

If sync less than 250 Volts on newer Canon DSLR cameras were an issue, you can bet this info would make it's way to this forum. I read the flash forum every day and i do not recall any thread citing this issue.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/external link

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,871 posts
Joined Oct 2005
May 02, 2009 13:26 as a reply to FlashZebra's post |  #12

If you're worried about flash trigger voltages, use a Wein Safe-Sync voltage regulator.external link Then, your biggest concern will be flash sync speeds. :)

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008
May 02, 2009 13:59 |  #13

FlashZebra wrote in post #7844544external link
In a roundabout way Canon USA has indicated at all of the Canon DSLR cameras since the 20D are fine to 250 Volts on both the chassis PC sync and hotshoe.

See this technical link:

http://www.digitaljour​nalist.org/issue0703/t​ech-tips.htmlexternal link

Some of the newer cameras are not listed as this info is a bit dated.

The nut of this info indicates "The trigger circuit voltage (TCV) rating for any EOS SLR is the same on the hot shoe as it is on the PC terminal (if the camera has one)".

and

"Canon Digital SLRs safe for TCV up to 250 volts:
EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds
EOS 30D, 20D, 5D
EOS Digital Rebel XTi, XT (400D/350D)"

If sync less than 250 Volts on newer Canon DSLR cameras were an issue, you can bet this info would make it's way to this forum.

read the flash forum every day and i do not recall any thread citing this issue.

Enjoy! Lon

Well, goodness me...you are da man!! hehehehe...teasing!! ;)

Actually if you search you will find lots of threads where it has been discussed over the years. And still while your opinion is that it is fine and both shoe and PC socket are the same voltage safe. Until Canon says it for certain, and from my reading they have specifically evaded answering that question directly, it is all opinion.

While the hot shoe might be able to safely handle up to the 250v there is the fact that Canon flashes output that 5v-6v. Maybe the internal findings at Canon is long term the circuit won't handle it under regular use (pure WAG on my part). You know each time higher (well any) voltage passes through a circuit the components of that circuit degrade slightly. Over time that is a cumulative effect the higher the voltage the more rapid the degradation.

I offer no opinion on the issue but rather prefer to lay out the facts as related from Canon and let people make their own decision how to treat their $1000+ piece of equipment. ;) Nope, not gonna be my fault...but as you say if there was a problem I suspect there would be more reports of dead flash mounts on these bodies. Just don't ever read about them. I think I ran across one mention in passing of someone having to get that part of their 30D/40D replaced but it was just a casual aside.

So, I say if ya don't bet ya can't win...every has to roll their own dice.

Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Northern Kentucky
May 03, 2009 00:17 |  #14

brecklundin wrote in post #7844865external link
Until Canon says it for certain, and from my reading they have specifically evaded answering that question directly, it is all opinion.

The author of the cited page is Chuck Westfall a longtime, high level, technical rep / spokesperson for Canon USA.

It is not just flippant web testimonial "data" from just any Frank or Judy.

Testimonials of this sort would seem to rise above the level of "it is all opinion".

It may not rise to the level of a users manual citation as you might desire, but it is not just anybody's flippant opinion either.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/external link

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008
May 03, 2009 14:15 |  #15

FlashZebra wrote in post #7847584external link
The author of the cited page is Chuck Westfall a longtime, high level, technical rep / spokesperson for Canon USA.

so? That and a $100 won't get the flash circuitry of your camera repaired should one accept it as fact.

Testimonials of this sort would seem to rise above the level of "it is all opinion".

It may not rise to the level of a users manual citation as you might desire, but it is not just anybody's flippant opinion either.

And that is your opinion. Accepting a three year old commentary from a person who may or may not have gone bat-sheet nuts or been completely removed from the "insider info loop" when the article was written and who has chosen not to update it in a conclusive manner requires conjecture and unquestioned acceptance of that opinion. Anything other than straight from the horse's mouth is opinion, and that is my opinion.

sponsored links

2,240 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is It Safe To Use . . .
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.