Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of May 2009 (Wed)   #1
tommyqh

Default how much to pay second shooter/assistant?

how much do you guys normally pay a second shooter/assistant for weddings?

tommyqh is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of May 2009 (Wed)   #2
tim
Light Bringer

Default Re: how much to pay second shooter/assistant?

I started my assistant on 1.5X minimum wage, then increased it a little as she become useful. Minimum wage here is a wage you can live on, but you can't live overly well. My assistant is a photography student, the experience and business knowledge I give them is far more valuable than the $.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2009 (Wed)   #3
tommyqh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
I started my assistant on 1.5X minimum wage, then increased it a little as she become useful. Minimum wage here is a wage you can live on, but you can't live overly well. My assistant is a photography student, the experience and business knowledge I give them is far more valuable than the $.
hmmm well i really don't have the time to teach someone. not looking to take anyone under my wing. i haven't been in the industry that long myself, so i don't think i have the right to teach anyone as i'm learning myself. sure i offer advice here and there but would never take the liability of mentoring.

would prefer someone who can pick up and go.

minimum here is 7.25 i think...so 10.85 an hour. i guess that's reasonable...

tommyqh is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of May 2009 (Wed)   #4
purd002

How much you pay depends on what you need from the second. At $10/hour you're going to definitely be getting somebody that is somewhat inexperienced and could be a crapshoot. That works fine if you are only looking for a cheap insurance policy. If you're looking for someone to actually contribute to your final product you might have to invest more in somebody better. I second shoot almost exclusively and contribute (and get paid) more than that, but i have experience, get consistent results and have my own pro equipment.
purd002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2009 (Wed)   #5
tim
Light Bringer

To give me post context, I wanted an extra pair of hands and a driver. Since they were ok at taking photos I gave them a raise. I supply 2nd shooters equipment.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2009 (Thu)   #6
Peacefield
Goldmember

As a practice, I try to bring an assistant but do not work with a second shooter. I have twin 20 year old sons still working their way through school who are more than happy to spend a day asssting their old man. Depending on the length of day and the price of the package, I may pay them $70 - $100. They help me carry bags, organize people, straighten dresses, make sure nothing gets lost or stolen, etc., but do not shoot.

My pacakges tend to be in the $1,500 range and my clients are not typically inclined to pony up the $500 or so it would take to add a capable second shooter. And in my view, the only thing I would want another shooter for is to cover the groom's preparations if the couple are getting dressed at different locations. I have responded to the offers of a couple of CraigList wedding wannabes recently. Based on the work they showed me, they seem acceptably proficient. The couples are fully aware of the arrangement and know that they may get some additional shots that are worth keeping, they may get nothing. And I don't mind finding a little time before or after the day to share some insights with these people in exhcange for their time.
Peacefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2009 (Thu)   #7
egordon99
Cream of the Crop

My good friend also does the "part-time photo" thing, and she asked me to be a second shooter for a wedding the Fall. My "normal" rates are around $100/hour (although I don't bill it to the client like that...) so she's paying me $50/hour since I just have to show up and shoot (didn't have to procure the client, deal with them before/after...)
egordon99 is offline   Reply With Quote