Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #1
Blitz

Default I'm about ready to throw my 580EX II into a pond

My girlfriend graduated today and I thought it would be nice if I could get a shot of her walking the stage in addition to the one provided by the official photographer. Well, despite the constant reminders that friends and family were not to approach the stage for photos, I found a nice little spot near the stage and put on my 70-300 IS USM. Not ideal for the lighting, of course, but I was close enough so flash would compensate.

I fired a few tests on other people. Perfect.

My girlfriend's name is called. She's walking across the stage. She's all framed up. Click. No flash. Click. No flash. Click. No flash. Three perfectly framed shots all but useless because I was shooting at 1/60 at like 200mm and there wasn't nearly enough light.

I figure the battery is dead. I already learned the hard way that these things don't indicate when battery power is getting low. Okay, whatever. Give it a few minutes. A buddy of mine starts walking the stage. I decide to try shooting him just to see what happens. Click. Flash. Perfect (for me) photo.

I shoot 5 more shots in quick succession. Flash fires each time. Battery dead? I don't think so.

Someone want to tell me what went wrong at the exact moment I needed the thing to fire?
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #2
Autonomous

Default Re: I'm about ready to throw my 580EX II into a pond

Maybe you used the flash to shoot too much and it used all its power and needed some time to recharge or recycle

18-55IS, 28-105USM, 50 f/1.8, 60 f/2.8,
finally 70-200L f/4!!
never thought in a million i'd get me a 7D.
Autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #3
A.Tan

Murphy's Law.
A.Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #4
runninmann
what the heck do I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
Maybe you used the flash to shoot too much and it used all its power and needed some time to recharge or recycle
Or cool down.
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #5
Curtis N
Master Flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
despite the constant reminders that friends and family were not to approach the stage for photos, I found a nice little spot near the stage...
God's way of reminding you not to break the rules.
Curtis N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #6
JackLiu

Consider getting a battery pack to compliment your flash unit (I assume its a Canon speedlite, ie, 580EX, etc). It will enable fast recycling time.
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #7
runninmann
what the heck do I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis N View Post
God's way of reminding you not to break the rules.
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #8
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"

Lesson 101.. Always make sure your batteries are fully charged before going out to shoot whether it's camera or flash batteries..

Lesson 102.. Shoot a couple of test shots first..

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!
yogestee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #9
slewfoot

power save mode?
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #10
breal101
Goldmember

All superstition aside, it could be a loose connection to the hot shoe causing it to fire sometimes and not others. The wheel lock can sometimes feel tight when it isn't.
breal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #11
Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by breal101 View Post
All superstition aside, it could be a loose connection to the hot shoe causing it to fire sometimes and not others. The wheel lock can sometimes feel tight when it isn't.
The 580EXII doesn't have a wheel, it has a lever that clicks so it should be tight all the time. As long as it clicks of course
Anke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #12
breal101
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke View Post
The 580EXII doesn't have a wheel, it has a lever that clicks so it should be tight all the time. As long as it clicks of course
Thanks, I didn't know that, I have the 580 EX, I hate on camera flash so it's doubtful I'll ever get an EX II.
breal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #13
jeromego
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewfoot View Post
power save mode?
even if its on power save mode, once you hit the shutter the flash turns on and fires.
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #14
FlashZebra
This space available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
My girlfriend graduated today and I thought it would be nice if I could get a shot of her walking the stage in addition to the one provided by the official photographer. Well, despite the constant reminders that friends and family were not to approach the stage for photos, I found a nice little spot near the stage and put on my 70-300 IS USM. Not ideal for the lighting, of course, but I was close enough so flash would compensate.

I fired a few tests on other people. Perfect.

My girlfriend's name is called. She's walking across the stage. She's all framed up. Click. No flash. Click. No flash. Click. No flash. Three perfectly framed shots all but useless because I was shooting at 1/60 at like 200mm and there wasn't nearly enough light.

I figure the battery is dead. I already learned the hard way that these things don't indicate when battery power is getting low. Okay, whatever. Give it a few minutes. A buddy of mine starts walking the stage. I decide to try shooting him just to see what happens. Click. Flash. Perfect (for me) photo.

I shoot 5 more shots in quick succession. Flash fires each time. Battery dead? I don't think so.

Someone want to tell me what went wrong at the exact moment I needed the thing to fire?
I think you need to also read this thread about "I am about to throw my flash under a truck. "

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=466874

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/

Last edited by FlashZebra : 10th of May 2009 (Sun) at 05:22.
FlashZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2009 (Sat)   #15
Blitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogestee View Post
Lesson 102.. Shoot a couple of test shots first..
This is the thing that bugs me. I did, and I let it rest a bit before doing it again, so I don't think it was cooling down. I swear it worked like a charm for every shot but the ones I wanted to get right.

I should probably mention I'm shooting with a 300D that's close to 6 years old. Could that have something to do with it?
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote