Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of May 2009 (Sun)   #1
Derekmdh

Exclamation Digital Rebel Xti Mirror Issue??? Spring fell off and cannot use auto focus.

Please help! A spring has come off the mirror inside the body. I cannot determine how to reattach it. Because this has come off I am unable to use auto focus and it seems the mirror is now getting in the way of shots. Can someone please tell me how to reattach or if anyone has the same camera could you please take close ups with the lens off so I can see how it is attached. I have attached photos of the issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rebelspring.jpg (162.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg rebelissue2.jpg (125.4 KB, 116 views)
Derekmdh is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of May 2009 (Mon)   #2
gravity

Default Re: Digital Rebel Xti Mirror Issue??? Spring fell off and cannot use auto focus.

Damn dude, sorry I can't help you with the "how" here... But better bet is for you to send it to Canon Service Center though. I don't think you should be going at it on your own.
gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of July 2009 (Sun)   #3
pendergraft2111

Default Re: Digital Rebel Xti Mirror Issue??? Spring fell off and cannot use auto focus.

I have this same issue.. can someone post a pic of their spring/mirror in working order?
pendergraft2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of July 2009 (Sun)   #4
avbcon12

yeah send that in for warranty work, thats horrible that it happend!
Old 6th of August 2012 (Mon)   #5
mywickedstepmother

Unhappy Re: Digital Rebel Xti Mirror Issue??? Spring fell off and cannot use auto focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekmdh View Post
Please help! A spring has come off the mirror inside the body. I cannot determine how to reattach it. Because this has come off I am unable to use auto focus and it seems the mirror is now getting in the way of shots. Can someone please tell me how to reattach or if anyone has the same camera could you please take close ups with the lens off so I can see how it is attached. I have attached photos of the issue.
Hi Derek,
DId you fix this spring problem yourself or did you have to send it to Canon for repair?

The same just happened to me. I used the mirror lock up function a lot over the past few days; I rented a macro lens for a week and locking the mirror just helped me get sharper close ups. I was about to clean the mirror last night when I noticed the spring had come out. It was still partly attached so I removed it for fear of scratching the mirror. The camera still takes pictures but the mirror does not operate properly. Some of my pics are dark at the bottom. Cropping did the trick on some of them but I am afraid the mirror could get damaged if I don't fix it soon. Your reply would be appreciated. Thanks!
mywickedstepmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of August 2012 (Mon)   #6
Ephur

So I think it has to do with the sub mirror, I have a 300d that I've been holding onto just so I can see if I can execute a repair of the sub mirror.

Video of 300d repair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOL6KDP5YyQ

Detailed repair steps for the 300d (the guide I plan to follow when I have time to repair my now manual focus only 300d):
http://grumt.blogspot.com/2009/06/ho...mirror-on.html

Summary of repair on 300d and XT (which seemingly has the spring like the XTi from reading the page):
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34397107

I don't know how different the spring repair on the XTi is from the 300d pin repair. Maybe these will give some direction though, or lead you to the proper fix for your body. Good luck!
Ephur is offline   Reply With Quote