Digital Rebel Xti Mirror Issue??? Spring fell off and cannot use auto focus.

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 10 May 2009 (Sunday) 23:43   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Derekmdh
Hatchling
Joined May 2009
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Please help! A spring has come off the mirror inside the body. I cannot determine how to reattach it. Because this has come off I am unable to use auto focus and it seems the mirror is now getting in the way of shots. Can someone please tell me how to reattach or if anyone has the same camera could you please take close ups with the lens off so I can see how it is attached. I have attached photos of the issue.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #1, May 10, 2009 23:43:51

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
gravity
Joined Jan 2008
243 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Damn dude, sorry I can't help you with the "how" here... But better bet is for you to send it to Canon Service Center though. I don't think you should be going at it on your own. :(

Post #2, May 11, 2009 04:54:07

www.500px.com/numphoto​graphyexternal link
www.flickr.com/photos/​numphotographyexternal link

pendergraft2111
Hatchling
Joined Jul 2009
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have this same issue.. can someone post a pic of their spring/mirror in working order?

Post #3, Jul 05, 2009 13:15:26

avbcon12
Joined Apr 2009
163 posts
PhiladeIphia PA
[MORE/SHARE]

yeah send that in for warranty work, thats horrible that it happend!

Post #4, Jul 05, 2009 13:18:35

50D, BG-E2, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.8, 580EX2, 430EX2, PW's etc...

mywickedstepmother
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2010
1 post
British Columbia Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

:cry:

Derekmdh wrote in post #7896910external link
Please help! A spring has come off the mirror inside the body. I cannot determine how to reattach it. Because this has come off I am unable to use auto focus and it seems the mirror is now getting in the way of shots. Can someone please tell me how to reattach or if anyone has the same camera could you please take close ups with the lens off so I can see how it is attached. I have attached photos of the issue.

Hi Derek,
DId you fix this spring problem yourself or did you have to send it to Canon for repair?

The same just happened to me. I used the mirror lock up function a lot over the past few days; I rented a macro lens for a week and locking the mirror just helped me get sharper close ups. I was about to clean the mirror last night when I noticed the spring had come out. It was still partly attached so I removed it for fear of scratching the mirror. The camera still takes pictures but the mirror does not operate properly. Some of my pics are dark at the bottom. Cropping did the trick on some of them but I am afraid the mirror could get damaged if I don't fix it soon. Your reply would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post #5, Aug 06, 2012 15:44:34

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Ephur
Joined Sep 2010
501 posts
San Antonio, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

So I think it has to do with the sub mirror, I have a 300d that I've been holding onto just so I can see if I can execute a repair of the sub mirror.

Video of 300d repair:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=FOL6KDP5YyQexternal link

Detailed repair steps for the 300d (the guide I plan to follow when I have time to repair my now manual focus only 300d):
http://grumt.blogspot.​com ...broken-sub-mirror-on.htmlexternal link

Summary of repair on 300d and XT (which seemingly has the spring like the XTi from reading the page):
http://forums.dpreview​.com ...rum=1031&message=34​397107external link

I don't know how different the spring repair on the XTi is from the 300d pin repair. :( Maybe these will give some direction though, or lead you to the proper fix for your body. Good luck!

Post #6, Aug 06, 2012 16:00:03

-- Richard ---- Pix via Flickrexternal link
Capturing the light with: 5D3 backed up by a 5D2.
16-35 f/2.8L II | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 100mm f/2.8L IS | 300 f/4 IS

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,825 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digital Rebel Xti Mirror Issue??? Spring fell off and cannot use auto focus.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES