Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of May 2009 (Tue)   #1
theveed

Thumbs up Flash Waves II Radio Triggers

http://reviews.davidleetong.com/?p=1047

I just received a set of Flash Waves II Digital Radio Slaves recently and to be honest, I haven’t played around with it too much yet as I’m a relatively new when it comes to using off-camera flash, especially with radio triggers.

This is a brief review of the Korean-made Flash Waves II trigger manufactured by S.M Development Co. (SMDV), and I got my unit through Aperture Trading in Manila, Philippines

First thing you’ll notice is the box. While it doesn’t scream “high-end”, it won’t shout “cheap” either. The packaging is well labeled and the items inside are well protected and isolated. The instructions are typical Chinese/Korean translated English, though.

Inside the box, you’ll find:
  1. FlashWaves Tx - The transmitter unit with pre-installed 23A battery)
  2. FlashWaves Rx - The receiver unit
  3. A mini table-top tripod
  4. Two stick-on cold-shoe adapters (to mount the receiver to a flash unit’s body)
  5. One 3.5-3.5 mini sync cable
  6. One 3.5-3.5 sync jack
  7. One 3.5-6.3 sync adapter
  8. One set of Ansmann AAA batteries for the receiver
  9. Extra 23A battery for the transmitter
  10. One carrying pouch
  11. and One extra tightening knob.
One unique aspect of the Flash Waves Rx (receiver) is the availability of a built-in hotshoe. This is a very handy feature for Canon users as most Canon flashes prior to the current 580EX II Speedlight don’t come with a PC-sync port. With this built-in hotshoe, I can mount the flash straight onto the receiver and mount the receiver onto a flash bracket or even a tripod, as the Flash Waves Rx comes with a tripod socket as well.

Read the whole review...
theveed is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of February 2010 (Thu)   #2
tvon

Default Re: Flash Waves II Radio Triggers

Anyone know where to get these? can't seem to find them anywhere!
tvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of February 2010 (Thu)   #3
Maurice A.

Try Henry's
Old 28th of January 2011 (Fri)   #4
QueenChatty
Goldmember

I have the flash wave 3 set. Just got them today. Have not had a chance to try them out because I can't seem to get the cover off the battery compartment on the receiver grrrr I don't want to break it lol!
Anybody know how to open it?

QueenChatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of January 2011 (Sat)   #5
theveed

They seem to be really tight when new, the FW2 was the same, it was as if it was stuck on... but after the first detachment, the operation was normal... As long as you push with equal force, it should slide out...
theveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of January 2011 (Sat)   #6
QueenChatty
Goldmember

Thanks that is exactly what the problem was. So far I am happy with this set. Even had it trigger when I was in another room...cool because the set I just replaced was giving me trouble if I moved four feet out of range!

QueenChatty is offline   Reply With Quote