Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of May 2009 (Thu)   #1
gooble
Goldmember

Default EOS Utility in Windows 7 Won't Recognize 5D Mark II

I'm having a problem getting the EOS Utility to recognize the 5D Mark II plugged in the computer.

I'm running Windows 7 RC1 build 7100. I installed pretty old versions of DPP and the EOS Utility that I got with my Rebel XT years ago. I copied them from the CD and I use them as my first install and then install whichever is the latest update file which right now is 361 and 261 for DPP and EOS Utility respectively.

I plugged the camera into the computer via USB then turned the camera on. Windows recognizes the camera and even shows it in explorer but the 'camera settings/remote shooting' icon in the EOS Utility is not active.

I tried closing and reopening the software and turning the camera on and off in various combinations and nothing works. I rebooted also which didn't help.

With my previous cameras I sometimes had to install the WIA drivers myself, but these don't seem to be around anymore as I suppose the OS just does all that for us.

For what it's worth the 40D is recognized by Windows also but not the EOS Utility.

Anyone with Windows 7 able to get this to work? Is it a Win 7 problem or a Canon software problem?
gooble is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of May 2009 (Thu)   #2
05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.

Default Re: EOS Utility in Windows 7 Won't Recognize 5D Mark II

hmmm..When i get home I will try it and see if it sees my 1DIII
i am running RC1 as well
Old 21st of May 2009 (Thu)   #3
fashioneyes

Why not try it with the DPP and EOS version that came with the camera rather than the older one ?

fashioneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of May 2009 (Thu)   #4
gooble
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashioneyes View Post
Why not try it with the DPP and EOS version that came with the camera rather than the older one ?
Well, 'cause I woulda had to get it outa the box...

That's part of it but it's mainly because I didn't think I needed to and I generally leave all manuals and discs untouched with a new camera so when I sell it they're all there and in good shape. Discs I've gotten with previous cameras were sealed and I didn't want to unseal the 5D II's discs, but I managed to pull them out and they are not sealed, they're just in a slip case, so if I don't solve this some other way I may use them.
Old 21st of May 2009 (Thu)   #5
nadtz

Well you don't need to use the 5dII discs, get the update from canons website instead. But you likely will need to update the software.
nadtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of May 2009 (Thu)   #6
anthony11
Goldmember

So you expected old software to see into the future and predict the 5DmkII? Why the fear of opening the CD package? Afraid that the EULA will result in your kidneys being removed?
anthony11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of May 2009 (Thu)   #7
basroil
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post
So you expected old software to see into the future and predict the 5DmkII? Why the fear of opening the CD package? Afraid that the EULA will result in your kidneys being removed?
Lol.. but true. You've been watching too much charlie though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooble View Post
I'm having a problem getting the EOS Utility to recognize the 5D Mark II plugged in the computer.

I'm running Windows 7 RC1 build 7100. I installed pretty old versions of DPP and the EOS Utility that I got with my Rebel XT years ago. I copied them from the CD and I use them as my first install and then install whichever is the latest update file which right now is 361 and 261 for DPP and EOS Utility respectively.

I plugged the camera into the computer via USB then turned the camera on. Windows recognizes the camera and even shows it in explorer but the 'camera settings/remote shooting' icon in the EOS Utility is not active.

I tried closing and reopening the software and turning the camera on and off in various combinations and nothing works. I rebooted also which didn't help.

With my previous cameras I sometimes had to install the WIA drivers myself, but these don't seem to be around anymore as I suppose the OS just does all that for us.

For what it's worth the 40D is recognized by Windows also but not the EOS Utility.

Anyone with Windows 7 able to get this to work? Is it a Win 7 problem or a Canon software problem?
It's a neither problem, it's all your fault No, really, there's a reason the manual tells you to update the software to the one included in the disk that came with the camera. Go to the canon website and DL a new one, if you have enough internet connectivity to complain here you have enough to go to usa.canon.com . And WIA has been dead for a long time, support was supposed to have stopped in Vista (but didn't due to legacy issues) and WIA drivers are generally not distributed. You can DL the proper drivers at the canon site along with all the other programs you should have gotten already.
I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List
basroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of May 2009 (Thu)   #8
gooble
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadtz View Post
Well you don't need to use the 5dII discs, get the update from canons website instead. But you likely will need to update the software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basroil View Post
Lol.. but true. You've been watching too much charlie though.

It's a neither problem, it's all your fault No, really, there's a reason the manual tells you to update the software to the one included in the disk that came with the camera. Go to the canon website and DL a new one, if you have enough internet connectivity to complain here you have enough to go to usa.canon.com . And WIA has been dead for a long time, support was supposed to have stopped in Vista (but didn't due to legacy issues) and WIA drivers are generally not distributed. You can DL the proper drivers at the canon site along with all the other programs you should have gotten already.
I said this in my first post: "I'm running Windows 7 RC1 build 7100. I installed pretty old versions of DPP and the EOS Utility that I got with my Rebel XT years ago. I copied them from the CD and I use them as my first install and then install whichever is the latest update file which right now is 361 and 261 for DPP and EOS Utility respectively."

I'm running the latest update for the EOS Utility, newer in fact than the one on the disc with the camera.
Old 21st of May 2009 (Thu)   #9
basroil
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
I said this in my first post: "I'm running Windows 7 RC1 build 7100. I installed pretty old versions of DPP and the EOS Utility that I got with my Rebel XT years ago. I copied them from the CD and I use them as my first install and then install whichever is the latest update file which right now is 361 and 261 for DPP and EOS Utility respectively."

I'm running the latest update for the EOS Utility, newer in fact than the one on the disc with the camera.
Yes, and that was the problem. You need to uninstall entirely then reinstall, since the XT was the last camera to ship out WITHOUT the true eos utility. If you completely reinstall it should work just fine.
I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List
Old 21st of May 2009 (Thu)   #10
gooble
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by basroil View Post
Yes, and that was the problem. You need to uninstall entirely then reinstall, since the XT was the last camera to ship out WITHOUT the true eos utility. If you completely reinstall it should work just fine.
I'm not saying you're wrong but the EOS Utility I have after running the latest 261 update is the new one with the much better looking interface, not the old clunky looking one. It's been my assumption, and maybe I'm wrong, that when you run the latest update file it supersedes the original install no matter how old it was and that it brings it completely up to date.

If I uninstall the EOS Utility and run install the one that came with the 5D II, I'll have an older version than the one I'm having a problem with.
Old 21st of May 2009 (Thu)   #11
basroil
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
I'm not saying you're wrong but the EOS Utility I have after running the latest 261 update is the new one with the much better looking interface, not the old clunky looking one. It's been my assumption, and maybe I'm wrong, that when you run the latest update file it supersedes the original install no matter how old it was and that it brings it completely up to date.

If I uninstall the EOS Utility and run install the one that came with the 5D II, I'll have an older version than the one I'm having a problem with.
Those two were completely different programs actually, so one of the problems was that it did cause problems if you installed on top. That's why they suggest you remove the programs first on the canon site (or they used to, it's old enough now that nobody needs to update it anymore, so maybe it was removed from the instructions.

And the problem with running a slightly older program is? Generally they don't add anything or fix problems in EOS utility (except for vista 64 support a year or so ago), just add more cameras. The newest one includes T1i, which you didn't say you have, so why bother? The one that came with the 5dmkii is meant to work with it, so it'll probably be more stable than a newer one with your conditions.
Gear List
Old 22nd of May 2009 (Fri)   #12
gooble
Goldmember

I uninstalled the EOS Utility I had then installed the one that came with the 5D II and it worked first time. Then I closed it and now when I open it it won't work anymore.
Old 2nd of September 2009 (Wed)   #13
Mark-Of-Cain

I too am having the same problems with getting a 5D MKII to recognise on Windows 7... have tried all the aforementioned uninstalling, reinstalling, upgrading, etc. Doesn't open EOS utility with my 40D either, just comes up device driver software fail

Anyone have a solution? (other than going back to XP which works perfectly!)

EDIT: Fixed it! Was my firewall. Pulled ethernet cable, turned off everything(windows firewall, outpost firewall and kaspersky anti-virus), connected camera via USB and it worked, yay! Turned everything back on and made an exception for EOS utility and launcher, all is sweet

Last edited by Mark-Of-Cain : 2nd of September 2009 (Wed) at 21:11.
Mark-Of-Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of December 2010 (Thu)   #14
Lukich

Here's how to fix it-advice from flickr
R N N says:

The same thing happened to me. My solution was to uninstall and then reinstall the Utility software. Nothing was disabled in the camera's firmware. Another problem might be that your PC's USB plugs don't recognise the devices pluged in. This is due to static electricity and heppenes in some cases. If so, power off the PC and then disconect it from the electrical net for a couple of minutes or just turn the power switch on the power supply unit in off position. Now it should be fine! Hope this helps!
Originally posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )
R N N edited this topic 3 months ago.
Lukich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of December 2010 (Sat)   #15
Fliger747

The only reason I could see for not opening and using the software is to try to sell the camera as NIB and unused.... Nice Camera, hang on to it... Or just buy a Nikon and not have the problem (no software included).

T
Fliger747 is offline   Reply With Quote