Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Motorsports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of May 2009 (Fri)   #1
Denis99

Default Speedway photo advice

Hi,
I'm a newbie here and would appreciate some advice. I've become more interested in photography in the last 3 months or so, recently bought a 40D with a 18-200 IS lens.

A lot of my photography in the past was with an Olympus E500, but I felt that the choice of camera and lens held back some of the action photographs that I took (plus it didn't have the 6 frames per second ability).

There's a meeting on this Sunday where I'm going to use shutter priority with the following settings (primarily).
ISO 400
Shutter 1/250
sRaw
AI servo - to track the action
Centre weighted metering
Auto focus will be the centre spot.

I'd really appreciate some feedback, as I've seen some great action photo's here, and I'd like to try and begin to emulate them.
Denis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of May 2009 (Sat)   #2
ChunkyDA
Goldmember

Default Re: Speedway photo advice

At the speedway it will all depend on your access. Are you in the stands? Big safety net between you and the action? Play around with your shutter speed and exposure. No one here will be able to tell you if that ISO will work out, it all depends on the lighting. What I can tell you is that you will not stop the movement of a racecar at 1/250. If I read you correctly you might want to look through the motorsports section and ask over there.
ChunkyDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of May 2009 (Sat)   #3
cpo13

As the OP is from the UK the 'Speedway' he's talking about is presumably the bike racing round a small oval track, rather than the racecars that 'Speedway' would imply in the US.

As for advice, I'd also suggest you ask this in the Motorsport section or ask a mod to move it there. Only person I remember posting Speedway on here is Gavin (Gmen) who still posts some excellent shots in the Motorsport section from time to time.
Old 23rd of May 2009 (Sat)   #4
Olli
-Mighty Mod-

Moved to Motorsport Talk.
Paul Theroux: Dark Star Safari

Olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of May 2009 (Sat)   #5
Denis99

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum, yes I'm interested in speedway in the UK on relatively small tracks.

My home team are Newport Wasps.
Denis99 is offline   Reply With Quote