Thread started 22 May 2009 (Friday) 15:56   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Denis99
Joined May 2009
114 posts
South Wales,UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi,
I'm a newbie here and would appreciate some advice. I've become more interested in photography in the last 3 months or so, recently bought a 40D with a 18-200 IS lens.

A lot of my photography in the past was with an Olympus E500, but I felt that the choice of camera and lens held back some of the action photographs that I took (plus it didn't have the 6 frames per second ability).

There's a meeting on this Sunday where I'm going to use shutter priority with the following settings (primarily).
ISO 400
Shutter 1/250
sRaw
AI servo - to track the action
Centre weighted metering
Auto focus will be the centre spot.

I'd really appreciate some feedback, as I've seen some great action photo's here, and I'd like to try and begin to emulate them.

Post #1, May 22, 2009 15:56:35

Regards, Denis
www.denis99.zenfolio.c​omexternal link
Canon 5D2 + Canon 24-105 f4 , Canon 15mm f2.8 fisheye, Sigma 100-300mm f4, 580 exII , Gitzo Ocean Traveller

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ChunkyDA
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
3,494 posts
Emerald Coast, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

At the speedway it will all depend on your access. Are you in the stands? Big safety net between you and the action? Play around with your shutter speed and exposure. No one here will be able to tell you if that ISO will work out, it all depends on the lighting. What I can tell you is that you will not stop the movement of a racecar at 1/250. If I read you correctly you might want to look through the motorsports section and ask over there.

Post #2, May 23, 2009 00:21:56

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lostexternal link
Gear list and some feedback

cpo13
Joined Apr 2005
264 posts
Seattle, wa
[MORE/SHARE]

As the OP is from the UK the 'Speedway' he's talking about is presumably the bike racing round a small oval track, rather than the racecars that 'Speedway' would imply in the US.

As for advice, I'd also suggest you ask this in the Motorsport section or ask a mod to move it there. Only person I remember posting Speedway on here is Gavin (Gmen) who still posts some excellent shots in the Motorsport section from time to time.

Post #3, May 23, 2009 02:34:19

Chris

Olli
-Mighty Mod-
Joined Aug 2005
5,314 posts
Finland
[MORE/SHARE]

Moved to Motorsport Talk.

Post #4, May 23, 2009 07:19:49

- olli
My blogexternal link
"The best travel is a leap in the dark. If the destination were familiar and friendly what would be the point in going there?" (Paul Theroux: Dark Star Safari)
Image Posting Rules

Denis99
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2009
114 posts
South Wales,UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum, yes I'm interested in speedway in the UK on relatively small tracks.

My home team are Newport Wasps.

Post #5, May 23, 2009 09:48:16

Regards, Denis
www.denis99.zenfolio.c​omexternal link
Canon 5D2 + Canon 24-105 f4 , Canon 15mm f2.8 fisheye, Sigma 100-300mm f4, 580 exII , Gitzo Ocean Traveller

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
984 views & 0 likes for this thread
Speedway photo advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES