Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > Computers
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of May 2009 (Sat)   #1
Kakadu

Exclamation Install Canon Digital Camera Solution Software without physical CD-ROM-drive

This might be also an answer to that thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=36399, but it has relevancy in itself.

I had the problem to install the Canon-Software on an ThinkPad X without built-in or external (USB/FireWire/PCMCIA) CD-ROM-drive. The solution is to make a disk-image with BlindWriteSuite and then mount it with the DAEMON-tools. This works - but be careful, not every CD-ROM-drive can read out the Disk - i.e. Sony CRX185 is not able to read out the CD, but LiteOn SHW-160P6S does!

BTW: this information IS NOT for making illegal copies of the CD-ROM - you are only allowed to do the described if you have the allowance to install the software anyway!

Last edited by Kakadu : 23rd of May 2009 (Sat) at 05:52. Reason: small correction
Kakadu is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of May 2009 (Sat)   #2
cicopo
Goldmember

Default Re: Install Canon Digital Camera Solution Software without physical CD-ROM-drive

I've been 100% successful just copying the CD to jump drives & then using it by opening up the files & selecting the installer file.

Cozumel travel & dive photos
www.picasaweb.google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules
Radio Control Event albums www.picasaweb.google.com/tcprcphotos
cicopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of May 2009 (Sat)   #3
nadtz

Default Re: Install Canon Digital Camera Solution Software without physical CD-ROM-drive

If you are ok with modifying your registry you dont need the CD at all, get the installer from canons website and follow the instructions at http://www.adidap.com/2006/11/02/wha...n-software-cd/. Obviously if you have a brand spanking new camera the latest and greatest might not be on canons website, but its good to know if you ever need to install the software and you dont have the CD handy.
nadtz is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of May 2009 (Sun)   #4
Kakadu

Accessing the CD-ROM-drive as shared drive I had the problem that the installer-application did not even show the region/continent-setting-screen and just broke up with the error "Install.exe could not load master.ini". Just copying the contents onto a local folder seems to work - I did not do that before for not spoiling unnecessary hd-space.

Last edited by Kakadu : 24th of May 2009 (Sun) at 05:04. Reason: corrections
Kakadu is offline   Reply With Quote