Picasa's workflow > Lightroom

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 25 May 2009 (Monday) 14:50   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

c2thew
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
3,929 posts
Not enough minerals.
[MORE/SHARE]

For quick touchups, I honestly feel that picasa outshines lightroom by huge bounds for it's easy to use interface. Rather than spending 3-5 minutes on each photo, i can do it in less than 30 seconds. In lightroom, you do get more control over colors and finer details, but when it comes to speed and time spent sitting away on a computer.... picasa wins.

i do have lightroom but i just feel like it's a chore to use. when i find a picture that i really want to keep as a keeper, i will turn to lightroom. other than that, it kind of sits on my hard drive, neglected.

Post #1, May 25, 2009 14:50:20

Flickrexternal link |Gear|The-Digital-Pictureexternal link|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERNexternal link | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Interesting, I've never used Picasa. But, Does it have a RAW processor, or are you shooting jpegs. Since LR was developed with RAW in mind, it has a very different approach from editors designed around "normal" image files like jpeg and tiff that already have things burned into them.

Post #2, May 25, 2009 15:31:55

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

c2thew
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
3,929 posts
Not enough minerals.
[MORE/SHARE]

i shoot in both raw and jpeg and still find the quick and easy to use interface that much easier to use. If picasa ever decided to add on more manual color controls, I would buy it, even though it is a free to use program.

Post #3, May 25, 2009 15:37:13

Flickrexternal link |Gear|The-Digital-Pictureexternal link|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERNexternal link | Welding Filter

c2thew
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
3,929 posts
Not enough minerals.
[MORE/SHARE]

what i like about picasa's crop feature is that it actually gives three suggestions to give you an idea of how you should crop it. it's algorithm works very well, which gives you a split second on how to reframe your cropped shots.

i really do hope they come out with a picasa pro edition

Post #4, May 25, 2009 15:51:11

sgogula
Joined Aug 2007
738 posts
Portland, OR
[MORE/SHARE]

I think Picasa doesn't support RAW.

Post #5, May 25, 2009 15:56:01 as a reply to c2thew's post 4 minutes earlier.

Canon 50D|70-200 2.8 IS II |Sigma 17-50 OS| Canon 85mm 1.8| Canon 50mm f1.8 II |430 EX II Speedlite| Manfrotto 055XPROB| Cullmann head| Adobe CS5

sponsored links
tonylong
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

c2thew wrote in post #7985620external link
i shoot in both raw and jpeg and still find the quick and easy to use interface that much easier to use. If picasa ever decided to add on more manual color controls, I would buy it, even though it is a free to use program.

So are you saying that Picasa processes/develops your RAW files?

Post #6, May 25, 2009 15:56:07

Tony
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

c2thew
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
3,929 posts
Not enough minerals.
[MORE/SHARE]

"So are you saying that Picasa processes/develops your RAW files?"

yes.

Post #7, May 25, 2009 16:11:57

tonylong
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

c2thew wrote in post #7985827external link
"So are you saying that Picasa processes/develops your RAW files?"

yes.

Ah, cool, I didn't know that. I'm quite happy with pretty much spending all my time in Lightroom, but it's nice to know about the other things you can use!

Post #8, May 25, 2009 16:14:08

Tony

c2thew
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
3,929 posts
Not enough minerals.
[MORE/SHARE]

heheh. give picasa a try, and i bet you'd be hard pressed to use lightroom as much.

http://picasa.google.c​om/external link

the only downside of picasa is that it doesn't save your metadata when it transfers your file into it's software and also the lack of manual controls. but for quick editing, picasa is awesome

Post #9, May 25, 2009 16:44:09

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
3,375 posts
O-H
[MORE/SHARE]

I just watched a video of Picasa by Google on Youtube and it looks very impressive. But people with good workflows and want more than very basic functions and adjustments will still use ACR, LR, or PS. That said, Picasa looks like it should be getting more looks than what it's getting; especially since it's free!

Post #10, May 25, 2009 17:35:40

Christian

Paul ­ Li
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 posts
Long Island
[MORE/SHARE]

c2thew wrote in post #7985302external link
For quick touchups, I honestly feel that picasa outshines lightroom by huge bounds for it's easy to use interface. Rather than spending 3-5 minutes on each photo, i can do it in less than 30 seconds. In lightroom, you do get more control over colors and finer details, but when it comes to speed and time spent sitting away on a computer.... picasa wins.

i do have lightroom but i just feel like it's a chore to use. when i find a picture that i really want to keep as a keeper, i will turn to lightroom. other than that, it kind of sits on my hard drive, neglected.

+1
"I'm feeling lucky" does wonders for P&S snapshots.
Straighten, crop and retouch tools work great.
Easy to adjust fill light and shadows...
and it's free...

Post #11, May 25, 2009 18:04:34

Flickrexternal link
XS,AE-1,50 f1.8,430EX II+V4's,18-55IS,FD 50mm
Leave the IS on

sponsored links
cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
2,997 posts
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I've used Picasa for years and do most of my normal editing with it. I've tried Lightroom several times & just never found a need for it. When I need more than Picasa can do I use DPP and then if even more is needed I go to Photoshop. I likely do 90% of my editing in Picasa.

Post #12, May 25, 2009 18:36:13

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.
Cozumel travel & dive photos
www.picasaweb.google.c​om/CozumelTimeCapsulesexternal link
Radio Control Event albums www.picasaweb.google.c​om/tcprcphotosexternal link

c2thew
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
3,929 posts
Not enough minerals.
[MORE/SHARE]

90% sounds about right. speed and interface is key for me. when i try to navigate through lightroom, it just feels like added blotage. too many clicks to adjust one simple aspect that picasa handles in a snap. anywho just wanted to rant.

Post #13, May 25, 2009 19:07:49 as a reply to cicopo's post 31 minutes earlier.

skywalkerbeth
Joined Dec 2007
643 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

What is your normal workflow? Do you hit "I feel lucky" a lot, or not?

Post #14, Aug 13, 2009 15:50:13

Canon 7D, 30D, G1X Mark II, S90, SD800IS | Canon 35mm 1.4L | Canon 24-105 F4L IS | Polarizers | Canon 100mm F2.8 macro |Lowepro Slingshot 200 | Gitzo 1550T Tripod with 1780qr head | Remote | Diffuser
My Blog: http://skywalkerbeth.b​logspot.com/external link
My site: www.compassrosegalleri​es.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,088 views & 0 likes for this thread
Picasa's workflow > Lightroom
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES