Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of May 2009 (Wed)   #1
highv0lt6ge

Default Aputure AP-TR3C compared to the Canon TC-80N3

Has anyone purchased/used an Aputure LCD Timer Remote (AP-TR3C) from LINKdelight? I'm in the market for a remote/timer for my 50D, and as a poor college kid the Aputure variety seems like a better value over the Canon equivalent.

The Canon runs from B&H ~$136.95 + roughly 8 dollars shipping.
The Aputure runs from Linkdelight at ~ 42.95 + roughly 6 dollars shipping.

They both do roughly the same thing.

Has anyone gone this route and have negative/positive expirences?

Thanks for the help!
Canon 50D | XT
28-135 IS | 70-300 | 18-55 | Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
highv0lt6ge is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of May 2009 (Wed)   #2
n2_space

Default Re: Aputure AP-TR3C compared to the Canon TC-80N3

They both look exactly the same.... I can't speak to the Apurture one, I have the Canon, but love it.
Old 27th of May 2009 (Wed)   #3
krb
Cream of the Crop

Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Like n2_space, I only have experience with the Canon part and I love it.

The Chinese copy of the non-timer remote has a good reputation. It does have less to do mess up though...
Gear list
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of May 2009 (Thu)   #4
highv0lt6ge

I ordered one today off their eBay page. I'll write a review when it arrives.
Canon 50D | XT
Old 12th of June 2009 (Fri)   #5
highv0lt6ge

After a lengthy shipping time, the new Aputure remote showed up today. http://www.aputure.com

The remote is an Aputure AP-TR3C, which is supposed to be a knockoff of the Canon TC-80N3.

I ordered it from a Company called Link-Delight on e-bay. Very smooth transaction process. They ship from Hong Kong, and shipping two roughly two weeks. I also didn't get a tracking number after my purchase, but was provided one after an email.

Price with free shipping came to roughly $45.00. I felt like, with a roughly~$80.00 dollar savings over the Canon TC-80N3 ,the Aputure was worth a good try out.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of an on-off remote. The manual states that the battery should last 3 years with normal usage, and to leave unplugged from the camera when not using it. It'll be hard to get used to that.

The build quality seems okay. It would survive a fall from tripod height, but I wouldn't think it wouldn't drive over it. The dial to turn adjust the timer settings seems a little flimsy, enough to make me take notice.

It has 4 modes, much like the Canon timer, although I've never used the TC-80N3. The modes are: self-timer, interval timer, exposure timer, and exposure count. All pretty self explanatory. The time can be adjusted up to 99:59:59, and an maximum exposure count of 99. I plan to mainly use it for interval photography, and it seems to work very well for that.

No pictures of it yet, but if anyone would like to see some let me know.
Canon 50D | XT
Old 12th of June 2009 (Fri)   #6
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

Looks like its a good knock off and like you got yourself a deal! If it works just like the Canon Id say you got yourself a deal! I have the Canon one and love it!
Old 12th of June 2009 (Fri)   #7
krb
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by highv0lt6ge View Post
The first thing I noticed was the lack of an on-off remote. The manual states that the battery should last 3 years with normal usage, and to leave unplugged from the camera when not using it. It'll be hard to get used to that.
The Canon remote is the same way. Had it for a year now and still feel like I should be turning it off when I'm done shooting.
Gear list
Old 8th of August 2009 (Sat)   #8
Braino

Quote:
Hey there highv0lt6ge -

I'm looking at this same timer remote and thought I'd write you for your opinion, now that you've had it for a month or so. How do you like it? I tried your website on cincypics, but it was "not found".

Everyone else with the Canon model - if you look at the pics of this device, it looks quite large. How does it compare in size to the Canon model?
Compare the pic of it on the tripod, shooting the night-sky here:

http://www.linkdelight.com/index.php...uct-flyer.html

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Braino!
Braino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of August 2009 (Sat)   #9
krb
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braino View Post
How does it compare in size to the Canon model?
Compare the pic of it on the tripod, shooting the night-sky here:

http://www.linkdelight.com/index.php...uct-flyer.html
Hard to tell the scale but it looks about the same size as the Canon model.
Gear list
Old 9th of August 2009 (Sun)   #10
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

I've got the Aputure one and it's excellent. I've compared it to a friend's TC-80n3 and the build quality, etc. look similar. I'm very happy with it - especially as I saved over 100.
hollis_f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of August 2009 (Tue)   #11
Braino

Thanks for the replies guys... I think I will buy the Aputure.
Old 25th of August 2009 (Tue)   #12
Braino

Hey all - just got the Aputure - it's a nice unit! my first time-lapse experiment was a dud tho - I focused on a rose that was still in bud-form.. only slightly bursting into a blossom. I hoped it would open some during the day but after 7 hours there was absolutely no visible change... :-\

I'm wondering, for those who have done time lapse photography, what have you shot? how long did it take? did you make movies out of any and post on Youtube or some other video site?? I'd love to see your work.

In all I'd say I'm happy so-far with my purchase - the manual is a bit funny (it says "Secretary" instead of "Second" !) but I really like the unit.
Old 25th of August 2009 (Tue)   #13
highv0lt6ge

Hey sorry Briano, I forgot all about this thread. I'm glad you like the Aputure, I've had no problems with it at all. And thanks for the update about my website, I corrected my URL.

I've done a few time lapse stuff. First thing I figured out was to focus once, and then to turnoff the autofocus. Looking back at it, it should of been common sense, but oh well. Also make sure the camera is on manual, and don't change the settings during mid shoot.

The few time lapse stuff I've done I do about 5 seconds, but it depends on a few things. How long do I want the final movie to be? How much action will be occurring overall. For your flower, I'd think a something like a 10 second interval would be good. That's 6 frames a minute, 360 an hour. Over 7 hours thats 2520 exposures (which to me is a lot of shutter actuations on your camera). But when you condense it into your video, you'll want a frame rate of atleast 24 FPS, which only produces a video 105 seconds long. I would probably adjust to a picture every 30 seconds. It would speed up the video while significantly cutting down on the amount of pictures.

A great guy that does time lapse stuff can be seen here:
http://rossching.com/eclectic30/

His stuff is amazing.
Canon 50D | XT
Old 25th of August 2009 (Tue)   #14
Stereodude

I just got an Aputure AP-TR1C for my Rebel XSi and Elan film bodies. It's basically identical to the my Canon TC-80N3 except it has the 3/32nd plug on the end instead of the N3.

It was also way cheaper. You can't beat $33.21 w/ free shipping on ebay. link
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2009 (Fri)   #15
Jared867

Quote:
After a lengthy shipping time, the new Aputure remote showed up today. http://www.aputure.com

The remote is an Aputure AP-TR3C, which is supposed to be a knockoff of the Canon TC-80N3.

I ordered it from a Company called Link-Delight on e-bay. Very smooth transaction process. They ship from Hong Kong, and shipping two roughly two weeks. I also didn't get a tracking number after my purchase, but was provided one after an email.

Price with free shipping came to roughly $45.00. I felt like, with a roughly~$80.00 dollar savings over the Canon TC-80N3 ,the Aputure was worth a good try out.

The build quality seems okay. It would survive a fall from tripod height, but I wouldn't think it wouldn't drive over it. The dial to turn adjust the timer settings seems a little flimsy, enough to make me take notice.

It has 4 modes, much like the Canon timer, although I've never used the TC-80N3. The modes are: self-timer, interval timer, exposure timer, and exposure count. All pretty self explanatory. The time can be adjusted up to 99:59:59, and an maximum exposure count of 99. I plan to mainly use it for interval photography, and it seems to work very well for that.

I just got my AP-T3RC in the mail. Unfortunately mine came with no instructions. Can anyone help with that? I have no idea how to use this thing. Whats makes it even more confusing for me is that I am very new to photography and this is my first ever remote for my camera (EOS 50D).

I sure could use any help that I can get for operating this remote

Thank you
Jared867 is offline   Reply With Quote