FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 28 Apr 2005 (Thursday) 10:01   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Saudidave
Joined Jun 2004
415 posts
Poynton, Cheshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I am in the process of upgrading my Olympus 765, which has a 10x zoom (38-380). My reason for doing so is that the focussing is a little slow and the shutter lag is irritating on occasions, not to mention lack of image stabilisation, which would be useful at the long end of the lens. I was going to buy a Panasonic Z5 because it has image stabilisation and is a much quicker beast in general, but now find funds will stretch to an slr and the 350D seems a natural choice.

Obviously, I will need another lens to achieve the focal lengths I have been used to, but have little knowledge of the various qualities available. Indeed, in view of the much higher useable ISO’s available with an slr, will I find I need image stabilisation at all? (It would have been handy with the Olympus but I’ve lived without it quite successfully most of the time)

Any advice would be welcome. I have about £250 available for another lens (or lenses). I would like the range I have had as I tend to use the camera for general use on holidays plus motorsport & wildlife. If I achieve the image quality of the Olympus I will be very happy.

Tamron are advertising an 18-200 quite heavily and that would of course do the trick. Has anyone any experience with it?

Thanks

Dave

Post #1, Apr 28, 2005 10:01:19

Panasonic TZ5 ;Canon IXUS 850; (Canon 400D, 17-85IS; 75-300; bag; filters and all that stuff given to my very clever daughter for passing her exams!)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
Joined Sep 2002
3,905 posts
Newport News, VA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I will admit I am not familiar with that Tamron lens, but you would probably do better to aim a bit higher in lenses if going for the 350D.
While you probably don't need "L" class glass, You will probably need better the I suspect that Tamron will give you.

Take into account anything over 3 or 4x zoom is probably trading lots of quality for zoom range. On small P&S sensors it is not as noticeable. I would recommend after getting the kit lens for the 350D, you plan on at least going up into the $400+ range for lenses.
The 28-135 IS and the 75-300 IS are good lenses. The 70-200/f4 is an even better lens, although you lose IS. Even in the digital realm good lenses are more important then the sensor to get the best quality.

As to needing Image stabilization, it helps in low light and when you otherwise need a slower shutter speed to catch a stationary or slow moving object. Thus it won't help much for motorsports, but should help for wildlife.

All that said, if it seems the Tamron will work for you then get it.

Just my opinion,

Post #2, Apr 28, 2005 13:21:17

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.comexternal link
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​mexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Dave, on higher quality cameras like the 350D image stabilisation isn't needed as much, as you can increase the ISO and use a wider aperture to reduce the shutter speed. IS is still very useful for low light and some circumstances, but it's not as necessary - though I 've just ordered the 70-200 IS myself. You should consider getting a nice fast (ie wide aperture) lens like the Tamron 28-75 instead of a slower IS lens.

Post #3, Apr 28, 2005 16:38:31

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

raylks
Joined Jan 2005
180 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Whether you need IS or not depends on what shooting habit you have. If you are diligent to carry a tripod with you all the time, you don't need IS for long reach.
Given your situation, and if you are not having a tight budget, I recommend two L lenses to maximize the image quality: 17-40mm and 70-200mm f4. They cover wide angle and tele reach and they made good sharp images that can satisfy almost everyone (except those prime lens lens). Though it will make the cost nearly twice, it's worth every cent.

Post #4, Apr 28, 2005 19:25:38

Ray

www.fotop.net/raylksexternal link

Saudidave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2004
415 posts
Poynton, Cheshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks everyone fo your help.

I am buying a Rebel XT /350D tomorrow (with the kit lens) and then will decide my next lens later.

Dave

Post #5, Apr 29, 2005 15:32:58

Panasonic TZ5 ;Canon IXUS 850; (Canon 400D, 17-85IS; 75-300; bag; filters and all that stuff given to my very clever daughter for passing her exams!)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,220 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens advice for a 350D/Rebel XT
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES