Thread started 06 Jun 2009 (Saturday) 00:37   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

AprilArchambeau
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,050 posts
Martinsburg, Wv
[MORE/SHARE]

I need a tripod, I bought a POS one from Walmart and learned the hard way, its decently put together, however, with my lens on it its too top heavy and tilts down. I found a ton on B&H and Adorama website but I do not know which are better, post any you have experience with in that price range please :)

April

Post #1, Jun 06, 2009 00:37:39

www.AprilArchambeauPho​tography.comexternal link

5D l Calumet Genesis 400 light kit (2) l 430EX II l 50mm 1.8 l 70-200 f/4L IS l 85mm 1.8 coming soon!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,204 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Under $100? There really isn't a "best", only a "least worst" in that group. What camera and lens are you trying to carry? You might try looking for an older Manfrotto 3001 or 3021 with their 488 ballhead, selling used on here, eBay or Craigslist.

Post #2, Jun 06, 2009 06:50:01

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Agree. Buy used.

Post #3, Jun 06, 2009 07:12:31

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
1,295 posts
Scottsdale, AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

There is no decent trippod for under $100 - sorry. You are better off saving some more - whatever you buy for less than $200 will be crap.

Post #4, Jun 06, 2009 07:37:47

squiress
Joined Feb 2007
754 posts
Denver, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

Here you go. Probably better than anything you'd find in a Wallymart or the like and they will respond to issues. Aluminum and durability will be an issue from now until it finally fails a couple years out, but I think it will serve.

http://cgi.ebay.com ...ViewItem#ebayphotoh​ostingexternal link

Post #5, Jun 06, 2009 08:26:05

My Stuff
Thoughts-Tripods-Ballmounts-Teardown(TD)Benro KB2 Ballmount
TD Weifeng FT-565H Ballmount-TD Benro C128, C328n6 Tripods
TD Dynatran AT-A105T Tripod-TD Benro MC-68n Monopod

sponsored links
Ralph ­ Merlino
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
1,597 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I would have to agree with all above.

Post #6, Jun 06, 2009 08:37:32 as a reply to squiress's post 11 minutes earlier.

katodog
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
3,977 posts
Carol Stream, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

whatever you buy for less than $200 will be crap.

This is so not true. You can find plenty of great tripods for around $100. But, you have to realize it's not just the tripod, it's the head too.

For example, Dolica Prolineexternal link tripods are built pretty good, and they are strong. I have one of the carbon fiber models, and am very happy with it. If you get one with a ball head, you will probably want to swap it for a stronger one. The ball head that came with mine was just enough to hold up my gripped bodies with the Sig 150-500mm, but only if I really tightened it down. I put a Cullman Magnesit 35Nm on the tripod, and it works like a charm. The ball head that came with the tripod is actually a nice one, but I prefer the better design and ability of the Cullman. I put the Dolica ball head on my monopod.

Depending on what you put on top of the Dolica ball head though, it could be more than enough. The tripod is definitely a good deal. I bought mine when it was on sale, and I paid $100 for it. I think otherwise the model I have was around $150 or so, still a good price. The only thing I had a problem with is the lock for the center column, it has a compression fitting for tension and wouldn't lock down tight enough to prevent the center column from spinning when trying to change heads. So I did what any mechanically-minded person would do, I drilled a hole through the center column and put a nail through the hole.

Of course, that was after I cut the center column down to allow the tripod to reach ground level. I did that for a few reasons. One reason is that I don't normally use the center column. If I need more height, I use my DynaTran tripod, since the center column on that is rock-solid no matter how much I extend it. The other reason is that I wanted to get the tripod lower for macro shooting.

But, long story short, Dolica Proline is a good tripod and it's not expensive. As Squiress posted, look at DynaTran too. Great tripods, basically knock-offs of the "name brand" tripods, but equally as tough. I love my 858, it's solid as a rock, and the only thing that's a drawback is the weight of it. Otherwise, it's strong, tough, and can be adjusted into many positions, just like the more expensive tripods.

Post #7, Jun 06, 2009 08:40:07

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickrexternal link-external linkFacebookexternal linkhttp://katophoto.smugm​ug.com/external linkSmoke Photography-external linkSound-Activated Painthttp://katophoto.smugm​ug.com/external linkhttp://katophoto.smugm​ug.com/external link

mufutau55
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
1,278 posts
Bronx, New York City (USA)
[MORE/SHARE]

Not under $100 but $130, it's one of the best buy in tripod.
SLIK PRO 700DX.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ro_700DX_Tripod_wit​h.htmlexternal link

Mufutau

Post #8, Jun 06, 2009 08:47:59 as a reply to katodog's post 7 minutes earlier.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
5,792 posts
New York City
[MORE/SHARE]

mufutau55 wrote in post #8060138external link
Not under $100 but $130, it's one of the best buy in tripod.
SLIK PRO 700DX.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ro_700DX_Tripod_wit​h.htmlexternal link

Mufutau

+1.

Slik makes extraordinarily good tripods for reasonable money. They have a long and good reputation. They're handled by B&H which I feel is a very good sign. I recently bought an inexpensive table top tripod from them, and found it was constructed as well as any big tripod I've seen. I also had the cf614 bought from B&H, and was very happy with it, and when I got heavier gear, I sold it for not much less than I paid for it.

These sticks in the above link are heavy, that's the only drawback. Remember the adage: There are three things you want in a tripod. Light weight, stability, and low price. But you can have only 2 out of 3.

Post #9, Jun 06, 2009 10:24:44

Jay
Ireland in Word and Imageexternal link Jay Ben Imagesexternal link5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 screw clamp | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02 head

AprilArchambeau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,050 posts
Martinsburg, Wv
[MORE/SHARE]

Possibly a grip in the future, but the heaviest lens I will have on it will more than likely be just a 55-250, probably nothing more than that. So I should be able to find something that will hold just that :)

Post #10, Jun 06, 2009 10:52:58

www.AprilArchambeauPho​tography.comexternal link

5D l Calumet Genesis 400 light kit (2) l 430EX II l 50mm 1.8 l 70-200 f/4L IS l 85mm 1.8 coming soon!

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Remember: A tripod is not about "holding" but about "holding still". Two different things.
My Gitzo 1325 will support me (roughly 70kg's) but it is only stable enough for up to about 400mm unless I'm careful, and conditions are good...

Post #11, Jun 06, 2009 14:53:29

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link

sponsored links
Pommekitty
Joined Nov 2008
281 posts
Vosges, France
[MORE/SHARE]

+1 with the Slik comments above. I've found they sell great products.

I have a Slik Sprint Pro II which I bought for 70€ and I couldn't be more pleased with it. It's light to carry around but sturdy enough to support my 40D+70-210mm zoom without problem (however, I mostly use it with my lighter 1000D + 18-55mm). It comes with its own head and quick release plate. I often take it to shoot in the mountains and have had no problem in windy conditions.

Post #12, Jun 07, 2009 08:59:30

5DII -- 1000D // 50 1.8 -- 24-105L -- 135L -- 70-210 USM
http://www.n2dphotogra​phy.com/external link

mangaloreaviators
Joined Nov 2007
387 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Check the Tripod Sticky
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=681408

Post #13, Jun 08, 2009 16:23:11

TexasStalker
Joined Oct 2007
44 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

What is there to consider when looking for a tripod? What makes one from Wal-Mart a bad choice?

Post #14, Jun 08, 2009 16:44:59 as a reply to mangaloreaviators's post 21 minutes earlier.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
5,792 posts
New York City
[MORE/SHARE]

TexasStalker wrote in post #8073145external link
What is there to consider when looking for a tripod? What makes one from Wal-Mart a bad choice?

Read the stickey. If you spend $100 on a cheap tripod that breaks or shakes, you're out $100. If you buy a $250 tripod that works for a year or two and falls apart, you're now out $350. If you buy a good tripod and use it and want to upgrade, you can sell it here and get near what you paid for it.

There are some excellent Manfrotto tripods for not much more than $100. They're heavy, but stable. You can also sell them for close to what you paid. Don't get a Wally World tripod.

Post #15, Jun 08, 2009 17:44:54

Jay
Ireland in Word and Imageexternal link Jay Ben Imagesexternal link5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 screw clamp | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02 head

LIST NEARBY THREADS
18,982 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best tripod under $100ish bucks?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES