Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of June 2009 (Sat)   #1
AprilArchambeau

Default Best tripod under $100ish bucks?

I need a tripod, I bought a POS one from Walmart and learned the hard way, its decently put together, however, with my lens on it its too top heavy and tilts down. I found a ton on B&H and Adorama website but I do not know which are better, post any you have experience with in that price range please

April
AprilArchambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of June 2009 (Sat)   #2
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Default Re: Best tripod under $100ish bucks?

Under $100? There really isn't a "best", only a "least worst" in that group. What camera and lens are you trying to carry? You might try looking for an older Manfrotto 3001 or 3021 with their 488 ballhead, selling used on here, eBay or Craigslist.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of June 2009 (Sat)   #3
René Damkot

Agree. Buy used.

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of June 2009 (Sat)   #4
5Dmaniac

There is no decent trippod for under $100 - sorry. You are better off saving some more - whatever you buy for less than $200 will be crap.
5Dmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of June 2009 (Sat)   #5
squiress

Here you go. Probably better than anything you'd find in a Wallymart or the like and they will respond to issues. Aluminum and durability will be an issue from now until it finally fails a couple years out, but I think it will serve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dynatran-Pro-Pho...ayphotohosting

Last edited by squiress : 6th of June 2009 (Sat) at 09:51.
squiress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of June 2009 (Sat)   #6
Ralph Merlino

I would have to agree with all above.
Ralph Merlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of June 2009 (Sat)   #7
katodog
Goldmember

Quote:
whatever you buy for less than $200 will be crap.

This is so not true. You can find plenty of great tripods for around $100. But, you have to realize it's not just the tripod, it's the head too.

For example, Dolica Proline tripods are built pretty good, and they are strong. I have one of the carbon fiber models, and am very happy with it. If you get one with a ball head, you will probably want to swap it for a stronger one. The ball head that came with mine was just enough to hold up my gripped bodies with the Sig 150-500mm, but only if I really tightened it down. I put a Cullman Magnesit 35Nm on the tripod, and it works like a charm. The ball head that came with the tripod is actually a nice one, but I prefer the better design and ability of the Cullman. I put the Dolica ball head on my monopod.

Depending on what you put on top of the Dolica ball head though, it could be more than enough. The tripod is definitely a good deal. I bought mine when it was on sale, and I paid $100 for it. I think otherwise the model I have was around $150 or so, still a good price. The only thing I had a problem with is the lock for the center column, it has a compression fitting for tension and wouldn't lock down tight enough to prevent the center column from spinning when trying to change heads. So I did what any mechanically-minded person would do, I drilled a hole through the center column and put a nail through the hole.

Of course, that was after I cut the center column down to allow the tripod to reach ground level. I did that for a few reasons. One reason is that I don't normally use the center column. If I need more height, I use my DynaTran tripod, since the center column on that is rock-solid no matter how much I extend it. The other reason is that I wanted to get the tripod lower for macro shooting.

But, long story short, Dolica Proline is a good tripod and it's not expensive. As Squiress posted, look at DynaTran too. Great tripods, basically knock-offs of the "name brand" tripods, but equally as tough. I love my 858, it's solid as a rock, and the only thing that's a drawback is the weight of it. Otherwise, it's strong, tough, and can be adjusted into many positions, just like the more expensive tripods.

My Gear - Flickr - Facebook
Smoke Photography - Sound-Activated Paint

katodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of June 2009 (Sat)   #8
mufutau55

Not under $100 but $130, it's one of the best buy in tripod.
SLIK PRO 700DX.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_with.html

Mufutau
mufutau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of June 2009 (Sat)   #9
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufutau55 View Post
Not under $100 but $130, it's one of the best buy in tripod.
SLIK PRO 700DX.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_with.html

Mufutau
+1.

Slik makes extraordinarily good tripods for reasonable money. They have a long and good reputation. They're handled by B&H which I feel is a very good sign. I recently bought an inexpensive table top tripod from them, and found it was constructed as well as any big tripod I've seen. I also had the cf614 bought from B&H, and was very happy with it, and when I got heavier gear, I sold it for not much less than I paid for it.

These sticks in the above link are heavy, that's the only drawback. Remember the adage: There are three things you want in a tripod. Light weight, stability, and low price. But you can have only 2 out of 3.
"Ireland in Word and Image" Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins lever QR | Gitzo 3542L | Gitzo 5561T

Last edited by tvphotog : 6th of June 2009 (Sat) at 10:28.
tvphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of June 2009 (Sat)   #10
AprilArchambeau

Possibly a grip in the future, but the heaviest lens I will have on it will more than likely be just a 55-250, probably nothing more than that. So I should be able to find something that will hold just that
AprilArchambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of June 2009 (Sat)   #11
René Damkot

Remember: A tripod is not about "holding" but about "holding still". Two different things.
My Gitzo 1325 will support me (roughly 70kg's) but it is only stable enough for up to about 400mm unless I'm careful, and conditions are good...

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of June 2009 (Sun)   #12
Pommekitty

+1 with the Slik comments above. I've found they sell great products.

I have a Slik Sprint Pro II which I bought for 70€ and I couldn't be more pleased with it. It's light to carry around but sturdy enough to support my 40D+70-210mm zoom without problem (however, I mostly use it with my lighter 1000D + 18-55mm). It comes with its own head and quick release plate. I often take it to shoot in the mountains and have had no problem in windy conditions.

Pommekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2009 (Mon)   #13
mangaloreaviators

Check the Tripod Sticky
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=681408
mangaloreaviators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2009 (Mon)   #14
TexasStalker

What is there to consider when looking for a tripod? What makes one from Wal-Mart a bad choice?
TexasStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2009 (Mon)   #15
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasStalker View Post
What is there to consider when looking for a tripod? What makes one from Wal-Mart a bad choice?
Read the stickey. If you spend $100 on a cheap tripod that breaks or shakes, you're out $100. If you buy a $250 tripod that works for a year or two and falls apart, you're now out $350. If you buy a good tripod and use it and want to upgrade, you can sell it here and get near what you paid for it.

There are some excellent Manfrotto tripods for not much more than $100. They're heavy, but stable. You can also sell them for close to what you paid. Don't get a Wally World tripod.
"Ireland in Word and Image" Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins lever QR | Gitzo 3542L | Gitzo 5561T
tvphotog is offline   Reply With Quote