Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Wildlife Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of June 2009 (Mon)   #1
asc

Default Alaska in a week need advice!

I managed to get a free week long trip to Alaska with my relatives and am looking for some advice. I'm going on a small whale watching cruise (under 100 people) and will be spending a day in Juneau and a day in Sitka (I will visit the Raptor Center), we will also be going around Tracy Arm, Fredrick Sound, Icy Strait and Glacier Bay. I've never been before and am not sure what to expect.

I will be taking my 50D and 100-400mm lens. Is there any other gear I should bring?(I'm trying to rent a wide angle lens)

If any one has any tips or advice for photographing in Alaska (I'll be mainly on the water) PLEASE SHARE!! I'm leaving soon and want to make sure I come back with some good shots.
asc is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2009 (Mon)   #2
cedew

Default Re: Alaska in a week need advice!

Bring something to keep your gear dry!
cedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of June 2009 (Wed)   #3
Tom Reichner
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedew View Post
Bring something to keep your gear dry!
Even a few high quality ZipLock bags could be quite valuable - I have a 100-400, and have been able to easily find big ZipLocks that the lens and body together fit into no problem. WalMart has 'em. Just remember to let it out of the bag (or open the bag up a bit) when you're out of the moisture so that your gear can breathe & air out a bit.
Please do not send me a PM! Email me instead at tomreichner@yahoo.com My PM inbox is full, and I don't want to delete what's there. Email never gets full; please use that instead - I'd love to hear from you!
Tom Reichner is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of June 2009 (Sun)   #4
asc

Thanks for the advice with the rain protection. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to rain when I'm there so I went and got some big ziplock bags. Does anyone have any more tips or advice and maybe some ideas of what too shoot in the rain?
asc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of June 2009 (Sun)   #5
Canajun
Goldmember

another alternative for under $30 Canadian.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...45524442628847

My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.
Canajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of June 2009 (Sun)   #6
Tom Reichner
Cream of the Crop

If it's actually raining, you'll definitely want to have your lens hood on. Raindrops on your lens' front element will ruin otherwise good images.

I've seen some folks come back with wonderful Brown Bear photos that were shot in the rain. If there is going to be alot of water in your images, such as wildlife on beaches or in rivers, then a rainy day beats a sunny day hands down.
Please do not send me a PM! Email me instead at tomreichner@yahoo.com My PM inbox is full, and I don't want to delete what's there. Email never gets full; please use that instead - I'd love to hear from you!
Tom Reichner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of June 2009 (Sun)   #7
halitime

I live on Vancouver Island which is basicly the same scenery minus the glaiicers.Beg borrow or steel the widest lens you can get.
halitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of June 2009 (Mon)   #8
rouxeny

You absolutely HAVE to bring something wider than that. I was in Alaska 2 years ago and the majority of my shots were with my 17-40mm. There is so much gorgeous scenery to see.

Your 100-400 will be great for birds, whales and some glacier shots, but not necessarily much else.

A tripod may also be useful.
"I am so envious of guys like you. You get to shoot beautful models, all I can find to shoot are bugs and snakes." - JS
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote