Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts
Thread started 01 May 2005 (Sunday) 11:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Live music - critique please

Reflection
149 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Melbourne, AUS
May 01, 2005 11:21 |  #1

This was taken at a youth club band night for local bands. The lighting is usually atrocious (ie. a single disco light facing the audience), but they've started to improve it. It has had minimal editing, only levels have been adjusted.

Any comments on composition mainly, but anything else is welcome. Thanks in advance :)

Canon Powershot A80

Photo 1 details:
1/40 sec
f/3.2
9.6mm

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

TheBlindOne
48 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Madison, WI
May 01, 2005 12:35 |  #2

I have been taking concert pics for 2 years now and this is well done considdering. The framing and composition are well done. all I would do is burn in that bright spot above his head, and dodge under his mouth a bit where the shadow is. well done.
Riaz

Riaz S. Mesbah
Documentary and Editorial Photographer
My Blogexternal link
My Other Blogexternal link

Reflection
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Melbourne, AUS
May 01, 2005 15:33 |  #3

Thanks. I've been doing shots at this gig (it's a regular thing) for about 5 months, and I've seen myself improve over that time. From this group of shots, I had the most usable ones - nearly all were decent in my eyes. I see what you mean about burning and dodging, thanks for the advice :)

intechpcx
163 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Jackson, WI
May 01, 2005 19:58 as a reply to Reflection's post |  #4

I like the shot, the one thing I'd like was if there's any chance you could lighten up the shot a little without introducing too much noise.

Blind One, you said you've got experience taking concert pics. If you wouldn't mind, could you take a look at the recent thread I have on this board looking for feedback on some concert pics (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=70864). It was my first attempt at concert shots and I'd love to hear thoughts from an experienced photog on how I can improve my shots. I'd appreciate it if you could help me out.

Canon Digital Rebel 300D w/ BG-E1 Grip
EF-S 18-55mm Kit Lens
Canon 50mm f1.8
Sigma 70-200EX f/2.8 HSM APO
Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 LD 1:2 Macro
Sunpak 433D (Yes, I've made it work with my Rebel)

Visit my online portfolio at http://www.tonymiller.​comexternal link

3,124 views & 0 likes for this thread
Live music - critique please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.