Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of May 2005 (Mon)   #1
Kelv2888

Unhappy Spot in lcd screen! Dust or in focusing screen?

I have a Canon 20d which I bought 1 month ago.
I have a 17-40f4L, and a 70-200 f4L.
Since I began switching lenses after my purchase of the 70-200,I began noticing dust and blotches on my screen.
I then bought the sensor swabs and eclipse solution and cleaned my sensor. It went pretty well and then there was this spot that didnt want to come off even after 8 swabs.
Fortunately, I took a pic off a gray card at f22 and realized the spot wasnt there,therefore saving me 7 swabs ,worth 1.3 million dollars.

This is what I realized. When I magnify the pic in camera ,the spot moves with the picture as if its stuck on the LCD glass, Whereever I magnify and scroll up or down ,it follows the picture. Do I have a dead pixel? I only noticed this after the cleaning.Could it be a speck of dirt in the focusing screen? Please help! Thank you

Last edited by Kelv2888 : 2nd of May 2005 (Mon) at 21:07.
Kelv2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of May 2005 (Mon)   #2
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Spot in lcd screen! Dust or in focusing screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelv2888
I have a Canon 20d which I bought 1 month ago.
I have a 17-40f4L, and a 70-200 f4L.
Since I began switching lenses after my purchase of the 70-200,I began noticing dust and blotches on my screen.
I then bought the sensor swabs and eclipse solution and cleaned my sensor. It went pretty well and then there was this spot that didnt want to come off even after 8 swabs.
Fortunately, I took a pic off a gray card at f22 and realized the spot wasnt there,therefore saving me 7 swabs ,worth 1.3 million dollars.

This is what I realized. When I magnify the pic in camera ,the spot moves with the picture as if its stuck on the LCD glass, Whereever I magnify and scroll up or down ,it follows the picture. Do I have a dead pixel? I only noticed this after the cleaning.Could it be a speck of dirt in the focusing screen? Please help! Thank you
Let's try to analyze this. It is possible to have some dust or defect on the sensor, on the rear display, or viewable in the viewfinder. Which is it?

If it is viewable in the viewfinder, then it more or less has to be either on the focus screen or else on the eyeball side of the viewfinder. In either case, this will never show up in the image. It is a frustration when viewing, and that is all.

If you have dust on the sensor, then it will show up on the images, especially if shot at f/22 toward a white wall, blue sky, or similar plain field. Normally, those are easily cleanable.

If you have a defect in the sensor, then that may show up on the images as well. It might show as a hard black pixel, a hard white pixel, or an off-color pixel at long exposures. To me, this is more of a problem.

If you have a defect on the rear display, then this is also a frustration, but at least it does not affect the image quality. That will show in a single place on the display no matter what image you scroll through. This is a little more cosmetic than having it show up on the stored image.

Now, which does yours seem like?

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2005 (Mon)   #3
Kelv2888

I dont see it in the viewfinder,in the images once on the computer.Only in the lcd screen. And when I magnify and scroll in camera, the dark spot moves with "me" or along with the picture being magnified, meaning I cant scroll away from it.
Thanks in advance.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of May 2005 (Mon)   #4
tim
Light Bringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelv2888
I dont see it in the viewfinder,in the images once on the computer.Only in the lcd screen. And when I magnify and scroll in camera, the dark spot moves with "me" or along with the picture being magnified, meaning I cant scroll away from it.
Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwgross
If you have a defect on the rear display, then this is also a frustration, but at least it does not affect the image quality. That will show in a single place on the display no matter what image you scroll through. This is a little more cosmetic than having it show up on the stored image.
Here's your answer.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2005 (Tue)   #5
Kelv2888

Do i need to send it to canon or can I clean or clear this myself? This only arose after I cleaned the sensor...
Old 3rd of May 2005 (Tue)   #6
tim
Light Bringer

If it's a dead pixel it'll have to be replaced by Canon. If it's dirt on the inside of the LCD you can probably clean it yourself.
Old 12th of September 2006 (Tue)   #7
charlywalker

Hi tim.
I have the problem of having dirt inside the LCD screen on my A510 PowerShot. Is there any thread or tutorial that explains how to get rid of it?
Thanks a lot
charlywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2006 (Tue)   #8
tim
Light Bringer

I was talking about EOS digital cameras like the 10D/20D, so I can't help you sorry Charly.
Old 25th of August 2009 (Tue)   #9
GrizzlyMan

I have dust behind my lcd preview screen on my 1dmkII.. I'd love to clean it out myself any ideas or just send it in to get a good cleaning?

Canon 1dmkIV, 5DmkII ~ 17-40 4.0 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 24-70 2.8 L, 500 L 4.0, 1.4x extender, 2x extender, 580 speedlight, Think Tank Backpacks & Bags.......
GrizzlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote