Spot in lcd screen! Dust or in focusing screen?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 02 May 2005 (Monday) 21:03   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Kelv2888
Joined Mar 2005
157 posts
Brooklyn.NY, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a Canon 20d which I bought 1 month ago.
I have a 17-40f4L, and a 70-200 f4L.
Since I began switching lenses after my purchase of the 70-200,I began noticing dust and blotches on my screen.
I then bought the sensor swabs and eclipse solution and cleaned my sensor. It went pretty well and then there was this spot that didnt want to come off even after 8 swabs.
Fortunately, I took a pic off a gray card at f22 and realized the spot wasnt there,therefore saving me 7 swabs ,worth 1.3 million dollars.

This is what I realized. When I magnify the pic in camera ,the spot moves with the picture as if its stuck on the LCD glass, Whereever I magnify and scroll up or down ,it follows the picture. Do I have a dead pixel? I only noticed this after the cleaning.Could it be a speck of dirt in the focusing screen? Please help! Thank you

Post #1, May 02, 2005 21:03:47

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

Kelv2888 wrote:
I have a Canon 20d which I bought 1 month ago.
I have a 17-40f4L, and a 70-200 f4L.
Since I began switching lenses after my purchase of the 70-200,I began noticing dust and blotches on my screen.
I then bought the sensor swabs and eclipse solution and cleaned my sensor. It went pretty well and then there was this spot that didnt want to come off even after 8 swabs.
Fortunately, I took a pic off a gray card at f22 and realized the spot wasnt there,therefore saving me 7 swabs ,worth 1.3 million dollars.

This is what I realized. When I magnify the pic in camera ,the spot moves with the picture as if its stuck on the LCD glass, Whereever I magnify and scroll up or down ,it follows the picture. Do I have a dead pixel? I only noticed this after the cleaning.Could it be a speck of dirt in the focusing screen? Please help! Thank you

Let's try to analyze this. It is possible to have some dust or defect on the sensor, on the rear display, or viewable in the viewfinder. Which is it?

If it is viewable in the viewfinder, then it more or less has to be either on the focus screen or else on the eyeball side of the viewfinder. In either case, this will never show up in the image. It is a frustration when viewing, and that is all.

If you have dust on the sensor, then it will show up on the images, especially if shot at f/22 toward a white wall, blue sky, or similar plain field. Normally, those are easily cleanable.

If you have a defect in the sensor, then that may show up on the images as well. It might show as a hard black pixel, a hard white pixel, or an off-color pixel at long exposures. To me, this is more of a problem.

If you have a defect on the rear display, then this is also a frustration, but at least it does not affect the image quality. That will show in a single place on the display no matter what image you scroll through. This is a little more cosmetic than having it show up on the stored image.

Now, which does yours seem like?

---Bob Gross---

Post #2, May 02, 2005 21:58:06

Kelv2888
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2005
157 posts
Brooklyn.NY, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I dont see it in the viewfinder,in the images once on the computer.Only in the lcd screen. And when I magnify and scroll in camera, the dark spot moves with "me" or along with the picture being magnified, meaning I cant scroll away from it.
Thanks in advance.

Post #3, May 02, 2005 22:09:22

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Kelv2888 wrote:
I dont see it in the viewfinder,in the images once on the computer.Only in the lcd screen. And when I magnify and scroll in camera, the dark spot moves with "me" or along with the picture being magnified, meaning I cant scroll away from it.
Thanks in advance.

robertwgross wrote:
If you have a defect on the rear display, then this is also a frustration, but at least it does not affect the image quality. That will show in a single place on the display no matter what image you scroll through. This is a little more cosmetic than having it show up on the stored image.

Here's your answer.

Post #4, May 02, 2005 22:53:36 as a reply to Kelv2888's post 44 minutes earlier.

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Kelv2888
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2005
157 posts
Brooklyn.NY, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Do i need to send it to canon or can I clean or clear this myself? This only arose after I cleaned the sensor...

Post #5, May 03, 2005 03:12:30 as a reply to tim's post 4 hours earlier.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

If it's a dead pixel it'll have to be replaced by Canon. If it's dirt on the inside of the LCD you can probably clean it yourself.

Post #6, May 03, 2005 04:23:42

Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link

charlywalker
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2006
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi tim.
I have the problem of having dirt inside the LCD screen on my A510 PowerShot. Is there any thread or tutorial that explains how to get rid of it?
Thanks a lot

Post #7, Sep 12, 2006 07:22:51

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I was talking about EOS digital cameras like the 10D/20D, so I can't help you sorry Charly.

Post #8, Sep 12, 2006 07:45:49

GrizzlyMan
Joined Aug 2008
374 posts
Doylestown, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

I have dust behind my lcd preview screen on my 1dmkII.. I'd love to clean it out myself any ideas or just send it in to get a good cleaning?

Post #9, Aug 25, 2009 19:53:48

www.ThruKurtsLens.comexternal link & Flickrexternal link & 500pxexternal link

Canon 1dmkIV, 5DmkII ~ 17-40 4.0 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 24-70 2.8 L, 500 L 4.0, 1.4x extender, 2x extender, 580 speedlight, Think Tank Backpacks & Bags.......

LIST NEARBY THREADS
10,676 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spot in lcd screen! Dust or in focusing screen?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES