What is a split-screen focus screen (EC-L)

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 03 May 2005 (Tuesday) 06:19   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

schmoelzel
Lord of the Holy Trinity
Joined Aug 2001
1,886 posts
London (Canada)
[MORE/SHARE]

Since I have acquired a few manual focus lenses lately, I have read info concerning new focus screens for the 1-series viewfinders. What exactly does a split-screen do to the normal focus screen of the camera? Any info is much appreciated!

Post #1, May 03, 2005 06:19:51

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
mdr
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
1,167 posts
Glasgow, Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

This is a quote from a website:

3mm diameter split-image spot, for precise pinpoint focusing on subjects with distinct contours, use the central split-image rangefinder; turn the focusing ring until the split image becomes a sharp, clear, complete and undivided image

A split-image focussing screen is of no use when you're using autofocus. It can be very useful for manual focus, as aligning an object across the two halves can be much easier in determining whether your subject is in focus.

Hope this is clear. If not, let us know.

Cheers,

Marc.

Post #2, May 03, 2005 06:37:49

Marc
Glasgow, Scotland
www.marcderidder.comexternal link
www.deridder.meexternal link

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

A split-screen focusing aid is that little circle in the middle of the focusing screen that looks like it's been cut into two equal parts with the cut usually running either diagonally at 45 degrees or horizontally. Each half of the circle is actually a small prism.

The way that it works is that when you point the circle over a subject that has vertical lines, when the subject is not in focus, the top half of the lines will not lineup with the bottom half. When you adjust the focusing ring so that the subject is in focus, the lines will all line up perfectly. The diagonal split has the advantage that you can also focus with it using horizontal lines.

The other common type of focusing screen is the micro-prism focusing screen. The same principle is applied here except that when the subject is out of focus, the image breaks down into lots of "speckles". When the subject is in focus, the speckles will not be evidient. Some people find this type of screen harder to use than the split-screen focusing screen.

Post #3, May 03, 2005 06:39:58

...Leo

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

mdr wrote:
This is a quote from a website:

3mm diameter split-image spot, for precise pinpoint focusing on subjects with distinct contours, use the central split-image rangefinder; turn the focusing ring until the split image becomes a sharp, clear, complete and undivided image

A split-image focussing screen is of no use when you're using autofocus. It can be very useful for manual focus, as aligning an object across the two halves can be much easier in determining whether your subject is in focus.

Hope this is clear. If not, let us know.

Cheers,

Marc.

Although the range-finder camera does indeed have a split-screen type of focusing aid, it's not the same split-screen focusing screen that's used in SLR cameras.

Post #4, May 03, 2005 06:43:08 as a reply to mdr's post 5 minutes earlier.

...Leo

mdr
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
1,167 posts
Glasgow, Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

PacAce wrote:
Although the range-finder camera does indeed have a split-screen type of focusing aid, it's not the same split-screen focusing screen that's used in SLR cameras.

Think you're confusing terminology here. The split image on an SLR focus screen is called split-image rangefinder. The quote actually comes from the early 1980's manual of my FE, a manual SLR, so maybe it's old terminology.

Post #5, May 03, 2005 07:17:36 as a reply to PacAce's post 34 minutes earlier.

Marc
Glasgow, Scotland
www.marcderidder.comexternal link
www.deridder.meexternal link

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

mdr wrote:
Think you're confusing terminology here. The split image on an SLR focus screen is called split-image rangefinder. The quote actually comes from the early 1980's manual of my FE, a manual SLR, so maybe it's old terminology.

OK, sorry. I thought you were talking about a range-finder camera which also focuses using a split image but works differently from that used in the SLR.

Post #6, May 03, 2005 07:53:59 as a reply to mdr's post 36 minutes earlier.

...Leo

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
Joined Sep 2002
3,905 posts
Newport News, VA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

The first thing I did when I got my 1DsMkII was to swap the standard EC-CIII laser focus screen for the EC-B split image screen. Works much better when I need to manually focus (as in I can do it now). My eye tends to adjust for bad focus (my eye will tend to put it in focus - even if it is out of focus), so I needed the split screen to make sure I am focusing correctly. So know I can use auto-focus or manual and get good results.

The reason I got the EC-B versus other splits is I was told the camera had less problem with it then other split focus screens (something to do with accurate exposure). I have not noticed any problems using it so far. But I use center weighted anyway as my default which the camera doesn't have problems with split image screens on anyway.

The split image circle is also what I am used to using from my old film camera days.

Just me and my experience,

Post #7, May 03, 2005 08:57:44 as a reply to PacAce's post 1 hour earlier.

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.comexternal link
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​mexternal link

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,099 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's an example:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #8, May 03, 2005 09:11:28

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

schmoelzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Lord of the Holy Trinity
Joined Aug 2001
1,886 posts
London (Canada)
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for all the answers! Thank you photosguy for showing what this looks like in the actual viewfinder! (PERFECT)

Post #9, May 04, 2005 05:37:55

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,099 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

That is a Nikon P screen. Your experience may differ! ;-)a ;-)a

Post #10, May 04, 2005 06:41:35

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

TomBrooklyn
Joined Jun 2006
201 posts
Brooklyn, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

If I'm not mistaken, that screen also has a microprism "donut" around the 45 degree split part, like PacAce referred to.

Post #11, Oct 29, 2008 01:11:14

sponsored links
Quad
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2005
1,872 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Why? Just why?

Here I was exited and thought schmoelzel was back.

Post #12, Oct 29, 2008 01:17:41

Josh_30
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
1,552 posts
Knoxville, TN
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow, that brings back memories of my old AE-1 days. :D Still got it in the closet somewhere.

Post #13, Oct 30, 2008 05:17:13

GEAR LIST 5D Mark III/G11/60D/580EX II/430EX/430EX II/Tokina 10-17/17-35 2.8L/24-70 2.8L/24-105 4L IS/70-200 2.8L IS/EF 50 1.4/EF 85 1.8/TAMRON SP AF 1.4x/TAMRON SP AF 90 2.8 MACRO/Manfrotto 209 & 055XPROB/488RC2/GITZO 1541T/MARKINS Q3T

Josh_30
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
1,552 posts
Knoxville, TN
[MORE/SHARE]

Just found this on google for those who wonder what this looks like. Split Screen Focusingexternal link

Post #14, Oct 30, 2008 05:21:04

GEAR LIST 5D Mark III/G11/60D/580EX II/430EX/430EX II/Tokina 10-17/17-35 2.8L/24-70 2.8L/24-105 4L IS/70-200 2.8L IS/EF 50 1.4/EF 85 1.8/TAMRON SP AF 1.4x/TAMRON SP AF 90 2.8 MACRO/Manfrotto 209 & 055XPROB/488RC2/GITZO 1541T/MARKINS Q3T

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2005
5,558 posts
Columbus, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a Katz Eyeexternal link focusing screen for my 30D. Makes manual focus SO much easier (as the stock screen is essentially useless for manual focus.) Since I have a few manual focus only primes that I use, it was an essential piece of gear.

Post #15, Oct 30, 2008 05:24:42

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.comexternal link
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
27,214 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is a split-screen focus screen (EC-L)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES