Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of June 2009 (Tue)   #1
jvmanolis

Default Viewing Pictures on TV

Is there a way to see digital pictures saved to a CD/DVD on an HDTV? Does anyone have any recommendations on the best approach to show pics to a large room full of guests by using an HDTV? Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd of June 2009 (Tue)   #2
joove

Default Re: Viewing Pictures on TV

There are DVD players that can output photos at HDTV resolutions.

One can also connect laptops/computers directly to a TV if it has a VGA in. I use this option once in a while to watch stuff from hulu (when onplay craps out on me)

The other option, that I use and love is to host the photos on a networked PC and use my PS3 to display them in full HD. My NAS has a home media server built in and it takes care of the server needs. I think, windows medial player and others can also do this job. This also works wonderfully for home videos (And I seem to have fallen in love with this feature of the 5D2)
Old 24th of June 2009 (Wed)   #3
WaltA
Goldmember

I use PhotoDVD from VSO. It creates a slide show in DVD movie format and allows you to add panning, animation and sound. Very cool and you don't need to worry about connecting your camera to the TV.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/...d/photodvd.php

you can download a trial version and see if you like it.
WaltA is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of June 2009 (Wed)   #4
jvmanolis

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll do a little more research and then make a move.
Old 25th of June 2009 (Thu)   #5
Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired

HDTV is 1920x1080 pixels.
DVD is 720x480 pixels.
Get an HDMI cable and plug the 40D directly into the TV. Or plug your computer into the HDTV.

For best look, post-process and crop, confined to 1920x1080. Copy the post-processed image back to the CF card and play on the 40D. Or just display from the computer - programs like IrfanView will let you do a slideshow.

At least, that's what I'd try to do. I have no experience with the process, so I'm just hypothesizing. But I'd be damned if I'd display a 10-megapixel image at 720x480 if I could possibly display it at 6 times that resolution.

Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of June 2009 (Thu)   #6
mandt

As others have repeated, I connected the computer to the hdtv. The video card has a DVI out and I connected it using a DVI to HDMI cable. The hdtv was automatically recognized as a monitor and I'm able to see all pictures in hdtv resolutions.
mandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of June 2009 (Thu)   #7
WaltA
Goldmember

Scottes, your absolutely right about the resolution. My suggestion was based on a way to show photos in a manner that required few wires/cables/connections. The end result is restricted by the industry standard resolution of DVD movies.

If a high-resolution slide show (without the sounds, animation and other effects available with this product) are whats needed then there are other products that create slide shows (and some even from RAW files) that can be viewed directly on a TV.
WaltA is offline   Reply With Quote