FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 23 Jun 2009 (Tuesday) 21:09   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jvmanolis
Joined Dec 2007
133 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Is there a way to see digital pictures saved to a CD/DVD on an HDTV? Does anyone have any recommendations on the best approach to show pics to a large room full of guests by using an HDTV? Thanks in advance!

Post #1, Jun 23, 2009 21:09:17

Canon 40D // 17-55 2.8 IS // 85 1.8 // EF 1.4x II Extender // 580 EX II //

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
joove
Joined Jul 2006
471 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

There are DVD players that can output photos at HDTV resolutions.

One can also connect laptops/computers directly to a TV if it has a VGA in. I use this option once in a while to watch stuff from hulu (when onplay craps out on me)

The other option, that I use and love is to host the photos on a networked PC and use my PS3 to display them in full HD. My NAS has a home media server built in and it takes care of the server needs. I think, windows medial player and others can also do this job. This also works wonderfully for home videos (And I seem to have fallen in love with this feature of the 5D2)

Post #2, Jun 23, 2009 21:22:59

Vamsi
Gear list

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
3,401 posts
White Rock, BC, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I use PhotoDVD from VSO. It creates a slide show in DVD movie format and allows you to add panning, animation and sound. Very cool and you don't need to worry about connecting your camera to the TV.

http://www.vso-software.fr ...cts/photodvd/photod​vd.phpexternal link

you can download a trial version and see if you like it.

Post #3, Jun 24, 2009 13:48:12

Canon 5D, 7D, 400D | Canon EF-S 17-85, 70-300 IS, 28-105/3.5 |

jvmanolis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2007
133 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll do a little more research and then make a move.

Post #4, Jun 24, 2009 17:53:14

Canon 40D // 17-55 2.8 IS // 85 1.8 // EF 1.4x II Extender // 580 EX II //

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
Joined Nov 2003
12,842 posts
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

HDTV is 1920x1080 pixels.
DVD is 720x480 pixels.
Get an HDMI cable and plug the 40D directly into the TV. Or plug your computer into the HDTV.

For best look, post-process and crop, confined to 1920x1080. Copy the post-processed image back to the CF card and play on the 40D. Or just display from the computer - programs like IrfanView will let you do a slideshow.

At least, that's what I'd try to do. I have no experience with the process, so I'm just hypothesizing. But I'd be damned if I'd display a 10-megapixel image at 720x480 if I could possibly display it at 6 times that resolution.

Post #5, Jun 25, 2009 08:18:59

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
mandt
Joined Dec 2007
37 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

As others have repeated, I connected the computer to the hdtv. The video card has a DVI out and I connected it using a DVI to HDMI cable. The hdtv was automatically recognized as a monitor and I'm able to see all pictures in hdtv resolutions.

Post #6, Jun 25, 2009 09:11:07

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
3,401 posts
White Rock, BC, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Scottes, your absolutely right about the resolution. My suggestion was based on a way to show photos in a manner that required few wires/cables/connectio​ns. The end result is restricted by the industry standard resolution of DVD movies.

If a high-resolution slide show (without the sounds, animation and other effects available with this product) are whats needed then there are other products that create slide shows (and some even from RAW files) that can be viewed directly on a TV.

Post #7, Jun 25, 2009 09:13:41

Canon 5D, 7D, 400D | Canon EF-S 17-85, 70-300 IS, 28-105/3.5 |

LIST NEARBY THREADS
575 views & 0 likes for this thread
Viewing Pictures on TV
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES