Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 26 Jun 2009 (Friday) 01:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5d Mirror recall "reinforcement" fell off!!

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Jun 26, 2009 01:33 |  #1

Just curious if anyone has experienced this problem.

I sent my 5d to Canada's Canon repair center so that they can perform the mirror recall.

IMAGE: http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/advisories/EOS5D_Mirror_Detachment.jpg

Last day I was using my 85L (Many understand the "not so comfortable" exposed glass at the rear of the lens). Anyhow I swapped lens and suddenly I couldn't properly seat the other lens. The metal reinforement piece (recall update) unglued itself. First thing was to inspect the 85L and thankfully no scratches were present *(whew!!).

Just a heads up to fellow POTN members to be observant. Stuff happens so carefully monitor that metal reinforcement strip "if" you had the recall performed recently. Luckily lately I've been turning off my camera when I swap lenses. The metal strip sat across the contact points. This could have been a potential major problem.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

sponsored links
nordstern1
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Jun 26, 2009 02:11 |  #2

i posted a question about this at the time someone posted about the 5D's mirror falling off & needing reinforcement but didnt get an answer. i was worried that the mirror, when it falls off, might damage the rear element. good thing your lens wasnt damaged.

JOE
G10 | 5D | 40D | 17-55 2.8 IS | 16-35 2.8 L II | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8 IS L | 85 1.2 L II | 430EX
manfrotto | tenba | crumpler | clik elite | tamrac | op/tech | blackrapid | sandisk | b+w | marumi | giottos | mac | buffalo

Thalagyrt
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Miami, FL
Jun 26, 2009 02:15 |  #3

You do realize that all that off switch does is put the camera in sleep mode and disable the buttons from waking it up right? It never actually turns off save for when you pull the battery, and even then part of it keeps ticking.

James

AlanU
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Jun 26, 2009 10:08 |  #4

Thalagyrt wrote in post #8177397external link
You do realize that all that off switch does is put the camera in sleep mode and disable the buttons from waking it up right? It never actually turns off save for when you pull the battery, and even then part of it keeps ticking.

So I guess regardless of switching off I could have fried my 5D.

That metal piece fell right on the bottom of the cotacts as I was trying to swap lenses.

Now I'm concerned the other piece will fall off.

Off to canon again for the 3rd time!!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

aaronmd
101 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Stratford, Prince Edward Island
Jun 26, 2009 11:18 |  #5

I feel your pain. Mine is back to the repair shop for a bad front focus issue. No matter what lens or what distance it will miss focus 100% of the time.

www.aaronmacdougall.co​mexternal link

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Jun 26, 2009 12:50 |  #6

This could have been a potential major problem.

For the price you paid for this camera, it's more than a "potential" problem, it's a valid reason for going postal. Very disappointing there Canon.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuffexternal link
Gear List, My You Tubeexternal link
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Jun 26, 2009 12:56 |  #7

canonloader wrote in post #8179676external link
For the price you paid for this camera, it's more than a "potential" problem, it's a valid reason for going postal. Very disappointing there Canon.

Even a Rolls needs serviced every so often and a Canon 5D is nowhere near a Rolls.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Jun 26, 2009 13:01 |  #8

I guess another notch for the (dis)service Canon Canada is providing. If I was asked to recommend a camera to a friend/relative* I would have a hard time recommending Canon in Canada at this point since their service facilities seem to be such a low priority. At least that is my impression.

Glad you did not have a major secondary issue because of this.

* I have been recently but he wanted to know what Nikon model due to poor previous experience with Canon.

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008
North London
Jun 26, 2009 13:03 as a reply to Quad's post |  #9

I just had one of 5D2's back from repair after a mirror fell out during a lens change

Extremely annoying

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Jun 26, 2009 13:04 |  #10

Never had a Rolls, but when I buy even an old chevy, I expect to get 10,000 miles out of it before the wheels fall off. And I could buy three old chevy's for the price of one new 5D MkII. In fact, every time I get in the car with my MkIIn and 400/5.6, it's value increases by 400%, and they are all still working. :mrgreen:

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuffexternal link
Gear List, My You Tubeexternal link
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

javanutsy
751 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Jun 26, 2009 15:07 |  #11

Jahled wrote in post #8179753external link
I just had one of 5D2's back from repair after a mirror fell out during a lens change

Extremely annoying

What this problem is affecting the Mark II's? I thought it was a problem for the classics only... :| And what's this about the reinforcement failing too? Wow!

galleryexternal link | gear

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008
North London
Jun 26, 2009 18:12 |  #12

javanutsy wrote in post #8180331external link
What this problem is affecting the Mark II's? I thought it was a problem for the classics only... :| And what's this about the reinforcement failing too? Wow!

Well to be honest, I made the lens change in a pub, and the model had the actual body in her hands; the more I think about it, the more I suspect her pissed fingers might have inadvertently flicked it out as I made the change

My own fault at the end of the day

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Jun 26, 2009 19:59 |  #13

Anything can fail and that includes old Chevy's or I'd need a new job. Blaming Canon service isn't too wise since after they did whatever they had to do it was shipped back using several vehicle / depot changes where it could have been dropped, hit by another box, or taken several tumbles etc, and any one of them could be the real cause for what appears to be a poor repair. I've only had 2 things serviced by Canon Canada & both were done promptly & correctly.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Jun 26, 2009 19:59 |  #14

Jahled wrote in post #8181186external link
Well to be honest, I made the lens change in a pub, and the model had the actual body in her hands; the more I think about it, the more I suspect her pissed fingers might have inadvertently flicked it out as I made the change

My own fault at the end of the day

"Flicked it out"

How the HELL would you flick a mirror OUT of the camera when everytime you take a picture the damn thing SLAMS against the top of the housing?

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

montanawild
680 posts
Joined May 2009
Baker, Montana
Jun 26, 2009 20:04 |  #15

^ her fingers were "pissed" .

1DmkIV, 5DmkII, 40Dw/grip
gear list:

http://dehaanphotograp​hy.netexternal link

sponsored links

7,182 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d Mirror recall "reinforcement" fell off!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.