FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 29 Jun 2009 (Monday) 15:04   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

DannyLongIsland
Joined Jun 2008
460 posts
Long Island, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I am shooting a kids fishing event in the beginning of August. Last year I shot the same event but at the time had no off camera flash options. While many pics came out well with just natural light, many could have used so fill to give them a bit more pop. The event is on a dock and will be during mid day. Last year it was overcast which helped, but I want to be prepared in case its not. These will be mostly impromptu type portrait shots, walking about and snapping away while the kids fish. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a diffuser for something like this. The flash will most likely be hand held, using cybersyncs or an ETTL cord. This is not a paid gig so the parents are just happy to have the pics, but I am hoping to use this as practice for me. And most likely I will not have an assistant. Thanks.

Post #1, Jun 29, 2009 15:04:48

Dan
Facebookexternal link
Flickrexternal link
500pxexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Chris
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
4,038 posts
Algonquin, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't think you need a diffuser in the middle of the day in the open sun.

Post #2, Jun 29, 2009 15:07:06

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

rebelrhyno
Joined Mar 2009
152 posts
New Brunswick,Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I have the ex430ll and I use a piece parchment paper taped to the flash.It works reasonably good at diffusing the flash.It's cheap and easy when your in a bind.
Just a thought.

Post #3, Jun 29, 2009 15:11:12

Canon 7D, 18-200mm,17-50mm, 50mm,
430EXII

Darren

DannyLongIsland
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2008
460 posts
Long Island, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Normally I wouldn't have thought I would, but I wasn't sure since the flash really wouldn't be any further away from the subject than arms length. If I can get away without one, thats even better. Thank you both.

Post #4, Jun 29, 2009 15:14:07

Dan
Facebookexternal link
Flickrexternal link
500pxexternal link

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,852 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you're thinking of a "diffuser" such as the Stofen or Fong 'tupperware', I'd say forget it. Those things do little more than waste light (and energy from your batteries) when outdoors.

A large reflector type device - one that provides a significantly larger light source area than the naked flash - may soften the shadows from the flash a bit.

You'd also want a bracket that will keep the flash directly above (or below) the lens regardless of the camera's orientation. An on-camera flash with a large reflector will throw a lot of shadow on one side of folks' faces when the camera is rotated into the "portrait" position.

Post #5, Jun 29, 2009 15:23:06

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,482 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

^ ...particularly outdoors when there is no ceiling to serve as a bounce surface, so that most of the light from a Stoffen or Fong is sent into the stratosphere!

If you do use a large card, make sure that card captures most of the light from the upward facing flash, so that it can deflect the light forward to the subjet, and serve as a larger apparent light source than the flash lens would.

Post #6, Jun 29, 2009 15:50:52

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Gatorboy
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
2,479 posts
Bel Air, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

I suggest sticking the flash on the hot shoe, no stofen, paper, napkin or anything on your flash; ETTL -1 to -2; camera in manual. You'll capture great shots, and not have to shoot with one hand, and hold a flash with the other.

Post #7, Jun 29, 2009 16:04:46

Dave Hoffmann

DannyLongIsland
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2008
460 posts
Long Island, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Would I be better off just investing in a collapsable reflector and forget the flash all together? Or would that be too cumbersome to use by yourself?

Post #8, Jun 29, 2009 16:10:52

Dan
Facebookexternal link
Flickrexternal link
500pxexternal link

DannyLongIsland
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2008
460 posts
Long Island, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Gatorboy, that sounds like a good idea. I'll play around with that today before the sun goes down, see how it works. Thanks again to everyones input.

Post #9, Jun 29, 2009 16:12:24

Dan
Facebookexternal link
Flickrexternal link
500pxexternal link

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
10,706 posts
Traryd, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

Diffusing light requires that it comes from a larger area than the flash itself. Just putting a piece of milk-colored plastic on that flash doesn't make it larger. You have to bounce into something.

If you have time to experiment, try the extremely cheap disposable plate taped to flash method. Ugly, but works, so you can see the effect of it.

Post #10, Jun 29, 2009 16:39:51 as a reply to DannyLongIsland's post 27 minutes earlier.

Anders

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,482 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

BronxFireGuy wrote in post #8196035external link
Would I be better off just investing in a collapsable reflector and forget the flash all together? Or would that be too cumbersome to use by yourself?

If you have three arms, using a reflector to bounce sun might work OK, but then again a metalized reflector would cause your subjects to squint and twist up their faces into a gargoyle face once your third arm had positioned it right! Something out of the SciFi channel.

Post #11, Jun 29, 2009 16:45:44

Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
Edbee
Joined Sep 2008
135 posts
MASS
[MORE/SHARE]

I use the "Walmart Diffuser" with silver reflector tape outdoors and like the results.
http://super.nova.org/​DPR/DIY01/external link

Post #12, Jun 29, 2009 16:50:12

ScPhotoMom
"Im completely lost"
Joined Jan 2009
2,241 posts
South Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

^^OHHH, thanks for the DIY

Post #13, Jun 29, 2009 16:53:45

My Flickrexternal link - My Gear -My facebookexternal link
Canon 7d Mark II - Canon 40D - 580ex - 28-135mm(3.5) - EF 17-55mm(2.8) - 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
3,938 posts
Chicago, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Gatorboy wrote in post #8196003external link
I suggest sticking the flash on the hot shoe, no stofen, paper, napkin or anything on your flash; ETTL -1 to -2; camera in manual. You'll capture great shots, and not have to shoot with one hand, and hold a flash with the other.

I'm with Dave as he lists it above. Put the flash on camera and shoot straight on with a negative FEC of 1 to 2. Simple and to the point.

Post #14, Jun 29, 2009 16:54:20

Paul
Blogexternal link | Gearexternal link | Galleryexternal link
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

Wilt
Joined Aug 2005
33,482 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

apersson850 wrote in post #8196174external link
Diffusing light requires that it comes from a larger area than the flash itself. Just putting a piece of milk-colored plastic on that flash doesn't make it larger. You have to bounce into something..

Not quite true...a softbox is merely a 'large plastic milk bottle' that prevents light from coming out except for the forward face!

Post #15, Jun 29, 2009 16:57:01

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
Diffuser for 580 EXII (handheld)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES