Kenko Pro 1 D vs. Hoya Pro 1 D CPL?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 30 Jun 2009 (Tuesday) 23:21   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Sinoed
Joined Jun 2009
34 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm a little bit confused here and not sure about the difference between Kenko & Hoya. I understand that Kenko is 'owned' by Hoya and partners up with Tokina (I think) but what kind of difference am I looking at in the filters? Does anyone have any experience with both and/or can shed some light here? Am I ok going with the Kenko Pro 1 or should I be looking at the Hoya? I'm going to buy a decent polarizer in 77mm with step down rings for my other lenses. One other question, the Hoya 'Blue' line is a step above the value priced 'Green' and below the SMC ones right..?

Post #1, Jun 30, 2009 23:21:04

Canon 350D | Tokina 11-16mm | Canon 18-55mm | Canon 55-250IS mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 50mm | 190XProB & RC488 | Lee & Hitech Filter gear

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
itmfl
Joined Sep 2007
226 posts
Bay Area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm pretty sure Kenko and Hoya are of the same company (which is part of the same 'family' as Tokina), the difference between the two is that Hoya is their international line and Kenko is there domestic line. From what I've read, Kenko filters are sold in Asia and Hoya filters are sold in countries such as the US. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

My question is, why are Kenko filters less expensive than their Hoya equivalents? (such as on Ebay)

*I just noticed many of the ebay sellers who are selling Kenko's ship from China or HK. Has anyone had any experience with buying Kenko filters from ebay? Would I need to worry about knock-off filters from these sellers? it would explain the price difference...

Post #2, Aug 27, 2009 01:25:27

XTI | G10 | 24-105L | 30 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 430EX II

jhom
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
1,320 posts
Dallas, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

They are the same filter as explained above. If you are going to buy one I would suggest you look at Maxsaver.com.

Post #3, Aug 27, 2009 06:39:49

Jim

My Gear

tonytsang
Joined Jul 2009
105 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I bought it from ebay...seller is call filter plaza.

they ship it via local postal. Nothing wrong so far. I ordered 58mm Kenko pro 1 D UV filter, kenko pro CPL and 63mm kenko pro 1 D UV filter

Hoya is more expensive because the shipping cost + brokage fee, etc

Post #4, Aug 27, 2009 15:12:50

Canon 450D (XSI)
Tamron 17-50 F2.8/Canon 55-200mm F4-5.6 IS
50mm F1.4 USM
Flash 430EX II
18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS (as backup)

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,502 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Sinoed wrote in post #8204149external link
One other question, the Hoya 'Blue' line is a step above the value priced 'Green' and below the SMC ones right..?

Right. Ignore the green box. Minimum is the 'blue' HMC (Hoya multicoated). Best is the SHMC.

Newer filters in the lineup are Hoya Pro 1 Digital, which is about at the same level as the HMC, and the Hoya HD which is about the same level as the SHMC.

Post #5, Aug 27, 2009 16:06:48

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
NYPhotog
Joined May 2009
228 posts
New York, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt wrote in post #8534203external link
Newer filters in the lineup are Hoya Pro 1 Digital, which is about at the same level as the HMC, and the Hoya HD which is about the same level as the SHMC.

Hmmm :rolleyes:

Post #6, Aug 27, 2009 18:40:50

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,502 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I think I am being stalked

Post #7, Aug 27, 2009 21:44:54

Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

jhom
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
1,320 posts
Dallas, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt, I think you may need an injunction.

Post #8, Aug 27, 2009 22:04:31

Jim

My Gear

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
Joined Jul 2005
10,420 posts
South_the 601
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt wrote in post #8535911external link

Sure seems that way ... :lol:

Post #9, Aug 27, 2009 22:04:52

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon PowerShot S95
MY PBASE GALLERYexternal link

Wilt
Joined Aug 2005
33,502 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Classes of stuff...

COMMON OPINIONS

Junk, don't bother <95% transmission
Good minimum level performance = 97% transmission
Excellent > 99.0% transmission

OBJECTIVELY MEASURABLE OPTICAL CRITERIA 93% < 94% < 97% < 99.35% < 99.6% < 99.7%, < 99.8% transmission
disclaimer: it is another issue if the mfgr. claims can be substantiated -- none of us own instruments of sufficient precision to contest claims

SUBJECTIVE/PERSONAL FEATURE CRITERIA (what matters for one might not matter for another!)

Easier to clean
'Digital' multicoating
Harder to scratch
Edge blackening = better for digital
Brass vs. aluminum frame
thin frame
threaded front can accept pinch-style cap
filter = anti-drop 'protection'
filter as a remedy: anti-dog nose, anti toddler goop, anti ocean spray, anti windblown sand

this whole last group is like debating political parties or religions or sexual orientation in 'marriage'...what is right for one is wrong for another, and don't bother 'debating' because the two extremes of opinion will never meet. Some moderates bridge the two extremes.

-wilt (trying to shake my stalker)

Post #10, Aug 28, 2009 09:52:49

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,218 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt wrote in post #8535911external link

You may be right. I'd suggest that someone be a tad less confrontational, since we don't consider stalking to be the POTN way. And there's always the "Report Posts" button.

Post #11, Sep 03, 2009 20:01:25

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kenko Pro 1 D vs. Hoya Pro 1 D CPL?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES