Photography Schools - Anyone ever hear of this one?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 09 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 15:02   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2008
9,334 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

http://www.focalpoint.​bc.ca/fulltimestructur​e.htmexternal link
Has anyone ever heard of this school?^
I've been wanting to pursue post secondary education in photography. I know nothing else of what I want to do but be the best I can and make a living from it.

So now how to do it? I could continue to do what I do now..hack freelance, basically, and that's okay. I can make a living, yes, But I want more. I want to learn more about how other photogs run their businesses, and other options for work, and I wonder how fashion photographers make their money or model photographers (seriously, these guys are really good...but where does it come from?)

I don't want to do just a general fine arts degree, that won't get me further ahead, I don't think. I know the basis, and a lot of other stuff, and managing a bit of a business...but could I potentially learn a lot more if I went to a specialized school? What I'm looking for is advanced stuff, and a few of the courses on that website caught my eye. Just how reputable is it, and if not, then where should I go to find a decent photography institution.

I should mention I have an interest in commercial/advertising​/model photography. I guess what I'm specifically looking for is a place I can learn to do this stuff, properly, because I feel like there's a whole other world I've not yet explored or done much work in within it

Anyone have any other recommendations? Currently I'm working on a diploma in business admin and management, and I think for me that's been working relatively well. I'm doing pretty good but I feel that there's a whole other world of the professional photographer that I'm missing out on ...I dunno, maybe this is just ramble.

What do you guys think? A

Post #1, Jul 09, 2009 15:02:09

Adventurous Photographer, Writerexternal link & Wedding Photographerexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
AmandaMarie
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2009
6,211 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

It looks interesting. I've never heard of it before though. I'm attending VanArts www.vanarts.comexternal link in march.

Until then, I'm going to be busy learning every thing I can, taking a billion shots every day, and spending every afternoon reading through old threads here.

I want to go so I can be exposed to different types of photography, have the opportunity to use equipment I could never afford right now and learn all the technical aspects.

Post #2, Jul 09, 2009 19:34:27

Meow.

Jannie
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
4,936 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I went through Brooks Institute of Photography and over a thirty pluss year career, continued to use information I had learned there both technical and inspirational in regard to believing how and what I was able to accomplish.

I strongly suggest that you look up who are the top photographers in your area and ask for informational interviews and check their websites to see if they are doing the kind of work that interests you. Informational interviews are quick and very revealing and many professionals don't mind doing them. If you are unfamiliar with them, try googling for some links. A friend who had been in a job for 14 years had always wanted to start her own business but it was a type of business that did not even exist. She did a series of informational interviews and received overwhelming support. The interviews opened her up to an even broader vision oh wha she could do.

Ask these photographers for advice about education and after school, working as an assistant and what to look for in an employer. And have fun.

Post #3, Jul 12, 2009 09:47:34

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Sageg
Joined Oct 2005
521 posts
Montreal
[MORE/SHARE]

Here are some reviews:

http://www.yelp.ca ...tography-school-vancouverexternal link

Post #4, Jul 17, 2009 21:42:46

Sarah

Eyes, hands, brains, legs

LIST NEARBY THREADS
414 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography Schools - Anyone ever hear of this one?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES