Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 13 Jul 2009 (Monday) 17:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

DSLR Speed Challenge #107 “Far From Home”

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Charlottesville, VA
Jul 13, 2009 17:40 |  #1

This week's DSLR Speed Challenge #107 topic is:
"Far From Home"

”A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” ~Lao Tzu

Ah, the wanderlust for travel can grab us all – and having a camera in hand makes it especially fun, because we get to re-live the great experiences when we return home to view the visual rewards of our travels. Show us your pictures taken from the highest mountain, greenest jungle, deepest ocean – or most foreign and far away place. Immerse us in your exotic experience.

Special Note for this contest only: Commenting on other people's photographs (same as all previous contests) will NOT be allowed until the contest closes. However, along with your photo, camera, and EXIF – you may post a 200 word anecdote of the circumstances surrounding of how or why the photo was taken. Final judging may also take into account your “Far From Home” story. Again, Limit = 200 words.

Have Fun,

Chris

===============

Standard Rules apply:
Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Canon DSLR Camera
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size - Please see the Image posting rules.
4. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting -
* ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.
* Photo Name in the message subject line.
* Camera model & lens used.
* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends - 6:30 PM EST USA Time, Monday July 20th, 2009.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed

Here is a link to our previous Canon EOS DSLR Speed Challenge Winners/Records <-- click to see

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Websiteexternal link
| FaceBookexternal link

sponsored links
chrisisonfire23
195 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Jul 13, 2009 22:57 |  #2

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 38 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Me and my family traveled very far to see this view. 6 Hour Plane Ride. 6 Hour Car Ride. 4 Hour Train Ride. 1 Hour Walk. Not to mention all this on the way back.
The grand canyon is 7000 feet above sea level, which breathing was actually a bit difficult up there. The clouds we could walk through, and it was snowing(you cant tell by picture b/c luckily it stopped when we went out). This was certaintely a LONG way home.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

www.chrisfulcherphotos​.comexternal link

John_B
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
Hawaii
Jul 14, 2009 06:25 |  #3

Hang Loose!

After 12 hours of air time, 2 hours of driving
I finally went to the Most Southern Point
in the USA
on the Big Island of Hawaii.
It was here where I truly learned the meaning of
Hang Loose!

Hang Loose!

IMAGE: http://johnbdigital.com/landscape/hawaii/big_island22.jpg

Technical Details
for Hang Loose!

Camera - Canon EOS 40D
Film / Media - SanDisk Ultra II 2.0GB
Lens - Canon EF-s 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Shooting Mode - Manual
Tv( Shutter Speed ) - 1/250
Av( Aperture Value ) - F/10
Metering Mode - Spot
ISO Speed - 100
Focal Length - 10 mm
Flash - Off
White Balance - Daylight
AF mode - One-shot
Color Space - sRGB
Camera set to Jpeg only

Sony A6500, A6000, Lenses, DMC-ZS40 & Apeman A80 <-- click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

Billbo911
403 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Sacramento
Jul 14, 2009 12:30 as a reply to John_B's post |  #4

Standing on top of the Wilderness

While this shot wasn't taken a LONG way from home, it was taken way above our home. This shot also represents a new beginning.
Recently, my wife, the lovely woman in this picture, has started seeing things with a photographer’s eye. Additionally, she has started to see the joys of hiking and backpacking. Now when I head out to the trail, she will be with me!! Now, back to the picture.

This is taken from the top of Ralston Peak, at the southern end of the Desolation Wilderness.

We drove 1.5 hrs to get to the trail head. The trail starts out at 6430 ft. Over the next 4 miles you climb to the peak at 9236 ft., an elevation gain of 2806 ft. It is about the equivalent of climbing stairs for 3.5 hours. I used my Tokina 10-17 to take this picture. In the background you can see Pyramid Pk., Lake Aloha(furthest out), and Lake of the Woods (nearest).

f /14.0
1/320s
11 mm
ISO 200
Canon 30D
Tokina 10-17 f/4.5-5.6

IMAGE: http://billbo911.smugmug.com/photos/590624193_9echp-XL.jpg

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nanaimo,B.C.
Jul 14, 2009 13:17 as a reply to Billbo911's post |  #5

Living on an Island.we have to drive a few miles to get somewhere different. This is in Tofino, West side of the Island, about a three hour drive, through some hairpin roads. Not having taken a holiday in about 15 years:confused: this is as far as it gets for me.

Soul Soothing

HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Camera Model: Canon EOS 20D
Resolution: 799 x 533
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 32mm...
CCD Width: 20.52mm
Exposure Time: 0.0007 s (1/1500)
Aperture: f/6.7
ISO Equiv.: 400

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

fryefoto
431 posts
Joined May 2009
in a circle of confusion
Jul 16, 2009 09:54 |  #6

Patience

"Patience" not only applies to the eagle in the image but to me as well-learning it, that is. Three of us got up in the dead of night and drove 3 hours to southern Oklahoma to photograph eagles. We arrived at our destination in time to capture the full moon setting just before the sun rose, and 4 frames before the mirror fell off of my Rebel. This is image three of the four. I finished out the day with the PowerShot . . . far from a repair facility and Far From Home.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel
Tamron 70-300 TELE-MACRO lens
Aperture f5
Shutter speed 1/125
ISO 1600
Focal length 70 mm

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Candy

Learning more each day how little I know.

JLatimer
71 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Waterloo, Ontario
Jul 16, 2009 16:04 |  #7

Impressions

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2310/2458492980_abbb3b0809_o.jpg

While a beach isn't really something that everyone has to travel far for, it is something I associate with travel. It is the emotion of traveling that prompted this shot. The impression left by a foot last no more than a few seconds - the impression left in your memory while making footsteps can last forever...

Canon EOS 30D
1/160th @ f11
44mm (Tamron 17-50)

My Ghetto Gear - 30D and a mix of inexpensive lenses
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jlatimer/external link

lavanut
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Jul 16, 2009 22:16 as a reply to JLatimer's post |  #8

If faith can move mountains...

... then it's fitting a chapel should be close to them. I'd never been to the Tetons before, and I'd read about the chapel there. I wanted to try to get a shot that captured the beauty of the country and also a sense of a higher power that must have created the inspiring mountains and scenery. My trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks touched my soul like no vacation had before. Those are magical places. If you've never been, find time to go.

This is one of my favorite shots of that trip.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
(hopefully this will work this time!)

Camera: Digital Rebel XT
Lens: 17-85mm EF-S @50mm
Shutter: 1/200
Aperture: f/11
ISO: 100

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Jul 17, 2009 01:49 as a reply to lavanut's post |  #9

"The majestic feline's attention was grabbed by the unsuspecting prey; a swallow that had landed only meters away, taking rest from a long flight. The feline began to slowly approach her prey, with a silky grace and soley tuned to the hunt. I layed low, frightfully in between this drama; mezmorized by the feline's singular purpose. I then realized what my part in this drama was, and released the shutter...the noise of which startled the unkowing prey who then flew off in a flury of flapping wings. The feline would be denied for now. She then laid back down, her captivating eyes searching for the next opportunity."--Tails from the Balcony Jungle

HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Canon 40D with EF 70-200mm f/4 L
200mm fl @ 1/60th sec @ f/4
iso 400, available light, PP with PSE 5
very small crop

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
9,915 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Carolina Beach
Jul 19, 2009 15:19 |  #10

Mammoth Hot Springs

More of a trip back home for me after too long of an absence. I wasn't even going to take my camera and I thank Gail for talking me into it.

40D, f/10, 1/200, iso 200

IMAGE: http://cbphotos.smugmug.com/photos/591582300_ndbVt-O.jpg

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nanaimo,B.C.
Jul 19, 2009 23:47 as a reply to monty28428's post |  #11

^ I love ya Mister

Kendoway
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Charlottesville, VA
Jul 20, 2009 17:38 |  #12

Ok, it’s past 6:30 PM EST – So the Contest is now ::: CLOSED:::

Thanks for an interesting round everyone, and I thought we might get a few more entries than we did – as “Far From Home” really equates to “Travel Photos”, and typically people have a lot of those to share. Ah well, the summer gets busy sometimes – and people are off having fun, and perhaps taking some new photos for us to enjoy.

I hope nobody minded my Story + Photo experiment, and it was simply that – and experiment. I’m an avid traveler myself (and my wife is a travel agent), so we get out in the world as often as possible, and I’m always thrilled at the opportunity to take some new photos in a new place. I also love hearing people’s travel stories, thus my modest attempt at giving people a chance to tell us a tale that goes along with the picture. It’s funny, when you look at a photo shot straight down at someone’s snowy boots you might think to yourself “Well, that’s quite average”, until you learn the picture was taken at the top of Everest (or some such), and suddenly you have a new feeling or perspective about the image, and the effort that was required to capture it.

Never the less, I’ll judge these in the order they arrived – and too some degree I’ll take into account your travel story and/or location.

Ok, on to the judging:

• Chris: I love this shot and the accompanying story. I’ve never been to the Grand Canyon and would love to go myself someday. Sounds like you had quite a trek getting there, which can sometimes be half the fun. You’ve got some lovely light out there on those canyon peaks and rims (in fact almost perfect), but I would have liked to see this shot cleaned up a little bit in Photoshop or Lightroom. It just needs a little post processing to take it from being a good shot, and making it a great shot.

• John : Your photos are always a treat (I stopped by your website last month to graze, and you’ve got some tremendous work). I like cartographical extremities myself – and have visited a small beach in Key West, which is the Southern most part of the continental US. Alas, I was camera-less on that trip, almost 2 decades ago. This is a nice wide shot with 10-22mm opened all the way, and I like the concrete road/boat ramp on the right which draws us into the center of the photograph. Just my humble opinion, but you should consider posting some larger images on POTN – as I think you are limiting yourself with 650 pixel wide format. I like it, it’s a nice one.

• Billbo: I can almost feel the pain of that hike! I recently climbed Table Mountain in South Africa in 90 degree heat, and it really kicked my butt. The great reward always comes at the top when you get to shoot the panos. That Tokina had so much to drink in and bend, it really looks like the top of the world up there. Lovely gal you have there too – I wish she had taken off the dark glasses though, or that you could have gotten and angle where the sun wasn’t to her back. Great shot, and an excellent story.

• Gail: You piqued my curiosity, so I had went to Google Maps to see the route from Nanaimo to Tofino – wow that’s a trek! Actually Google Maps calls that a 4 hour drive (not 3), so someone in your family had a lead foot :). You live in one of the most beautiful places on earth (lucky you), and I’d love to visit that part of BC someday. I love the quiet resolve of your photograph – it’s tranquil, and beautiful. Pity about that haze out there, which really stands out in that bright sun.. It’s a wonderful photo though, love it.

• Candy: This is an excellent image – quite compelling, and I loved the story about the camera breaking. I think I would have cried if that happened to me, and I’m glad you had the gusto to press on with the Powershot and make something of the day. It would have been great if you had the chance to shoot some more. If that Eagle had been stationary, you could have dropped your ISO to 800, or even 400 – and gone with a longer exposure to get rid of the grain. If you’ve got Photoshop, you should download the trial version of Noise Ninja and see if it can be can tweaked. Another thought would be to drop this into PS and desaturate it, and then play with the curves – it could work very well as a B&W. Otherwise, an excellent photo.

• Jeff: Also a very nice shot, and I wish you had told us all where it was taken (I’m always up for a good story). It’s a nice clean, crisp shot – but perhaps it might have been interesting to see some depth of field? A lower angle? Maybe shot or cropped so that the foot print isn’t dead center? Just tossing out some ideas, but it’s a wonderful photo – thanks for sharing.

• Lisa: This is one heck of a shot, with the birch trees on the left, mountains in the background – and I like that you centered the chapel cross directly in front of the largest mountain peak. That’s a pretty daring composition! The only drawback is those 2 park signs on either side of the entrance, which I find to be quite a distraction (simply because as a human, I want to try and read them). It might be interesting to clone them out, and see if changes the flavor of the photograph. I’m jealous of your trip to the Tetons (my parents did in 4 years ago – and loved it). Thanks for the lovely write up, and photograph.

• Jason: Thanks for the photo, it’s very nice – but I’m not quite sure how it fits into the “Far From Home” theme, other than the quote. “Tails from the Balcony Jungle” must be rather obscure, because I can’t seem to find it using Google. Never the less, I’ll give you a short critique. It’s a nice close up with good DOF (obvious that you had the 200 fully extended), but there are some focus problems and I think that the green leaves in the foreground obscure a little bit too much of the image. Still, it’s lovely photo (that eye jumps right out) and thanks for sharing.

• Monty: Thanks for re-posting your Mammoth Hot Springs shot form WAIN – great to see it again! It’s nice to see many horizontal color bands – White in the near foreground, the rust color, the water, followed by more rust + white – then the white steam, dark green mountains, and then cerulean sky. It’s almost a picture perfect landscape, and I wish you had given us a little story to go with it.

Ok, I really liked several of the entries this time around – and the choice was exceedingly difficult (I’m still gnashing my teeth over this):

Honorable Mention: Candy. The eagle + moon is magnificent. Welcome to POTN, you’ll go far here.

3rd Place : John _B. It’s a wonderful photo, and certainly made me feel “Far From Home”. Hawaii is a special place.

2nd Place: Monty. Love this photograph Monty, and not only does it make me feel far away – it make me feel like I am almost on another planet.

Winner: Lisa (Lavanut): The mountains just leap out of this photo, and no camera can truly capture the feeling you must have had standing there.

Congrats Lisa – and excellent work everyone!

I’m off on holiday and will miss 108, but I hope you all have fun!

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Websiteexternal link
| FaceBookexternal link

John_B
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
Hawaii
Jul 20, 2009 17:52 |  #13

Kendoway,
Thanks, but I will stick to smaller sizes (as I don't want anyone taking or using my photos, not to mention modem users) ;)

Lavanut,
Congrats!! Beautiful photo :)

Sony A6500, A6000, Lenses, DMC-ZS40 & Apeman A80 <-- click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

lavanut
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Jul 20, 2009 19:03 as a reply to John_B's post |  #14

Wow, thanks for the great critiques, Chris. Very nicely done. I kinda liked the addition of a story part too. I think that might have a place in these challenges from time to time.

Monty, your pic made me want to go back to Yellowstone!
fryphoto - loved the eagle pic and story. Hope you got the camera fixed!
John, I think I went there when I went to Hawaii, but I didn't have my Canon then, so I couldn't post any Hawaii pix for this challenge. Walking on the lava flows on the Big Island was my second favorite vacation so far. (Yellowstone/Tetons is #1)
chris - the Canyon is definitely an inspiring place too. I've only seen a small part of it (again, didn't have my Canons yet), and I want to see more and take photos like yours!
gail - I loved the tranquility of your shot too. I haven't seen much of BC, but what I have seen has been beautiful, and your shot is no exception.

Challenge #108 is up. We'll take the opposite of Chris' "Far From Home" theme of this week and stay a little closer. I hope you have fun with... "Take a Walk"

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nanaimo,B.C.
Jul 20, 2009 19:04 as a reply to John_B's post |  #15

COngratz Lava!!!!! Great image.

Chris.it is only 3 hours from here;) Map people don't drive the route, they just figure.

sponsored links

3,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
DSLR Speed Challenge #107 “Far From Home”
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.