Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Glamour & Nude Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of July 2009 (Thu)   #1
Viffer06

Default Public Nude Beach and the Photography Law

Is there a special law that disallow photography on Public Nude Beach?

As I was taking long exposure shots on the beach, I spotted some folks in the nude. They all gave me the nastly look when I'm not even taking pictures. I was merely walking by the area with my camera looking for interesting vantage point for a long exposure, angel hair type of shot.
Old 16th of July 2009 (Thu)   #2
CAL Imagery
Goldmember

Default Re: Public Nude Beach and the Photography Law

That is interesting. If it's deemed public property, they really can't do anything, as there is no expectation of privacy.

CAL Imagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2009 (Thu)   #3
aebrown
Maybe the next victim

Yeah, if it's public property I don't think there is anything wrong, especially given that they are the ones choosing to walk around naked. If it were me, I think I wouldn't be taking pictures of them in the first place. I think normal model release stuff would apply. So long as you're using them for your use and not publicity and such, you're fine.

Interesting twist though. I'm no legal expert, so I can't say I'm correct.
My Flickr
aebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of July 2009 (Thu)   #4
advaitin
Goldmember

Perhaps they would have been more tolerant if you had removed your clothes. I found myself in such a situation years ago--another photographer had been insulted and even had mud thrown at him. I arrived as he was leaving and heard him complain about it, so I took off my clothes and went on to take photos without a problem--welcomed with open arms, almost.

This a scanned copy of one of my photos from that event. No obvious no-nos are visible, so it should be family friendly:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg streakb_resize.jpg (139.9 KB, 3779 views)
advaitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2009 (Thu)   #5
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

Law or not, they are obviously likely to give you a weird look..
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2009 (Thu)   #6
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop

If it's public property there are likely no laws restricting photography there. Here in Portland, the local nude beach areas, Collins Beach and Rooster Rock, are often used by photographers for outdoor nude photography. Nudist, however, are generally suspicious of people with cameras if they're not nude themselves.
Thirty-five years of shooting and still learning.
My G&N Blog (NSFW)- My Complete Gear List - Mac-Photo Website - My Tumblr Site (NSFW)
G&N FORUM EARLY ACCESS & IMAGE POSTING RULES
Mark_Cohran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2009 (Thu)   #7
focus.pocus
Goldmember

hate to burst everyones bubble but there are usually signs posted on nude beaches that forbid all sorts of things including cameras and cell phones that take pics. Most public beaches don't allow nudity in the US. Usually just private ones. Been there done that. Just thought I'd let you know. thanks
focus.pocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2009 (Thu)   #8
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus.pocus View Post
hate to burst everyones bubble but there are usually signs posted on nude beaches that forbid all sorts of things including cameras and cell phones that take pics. Most public beaches don't allow nudity in the US. Usually just private ones. Been there done that. Just thought I'd let you know. thanks
I'm not sure where you went, but the nude beaches I've been to in Oregon, Florida, Washington, California, and Connecticut do not have photography restrictions. I've seen campfire restictions, alcohol restrictions, gun restrictions, standing in the grass restrictions, but never any photography restrictions.
My G&N Blog (NSFW)- My Complete Gear List - Mac-Photo Website - My Tumblr Site (NSFW)
Old 17th of July 2009 (Fri)   #9
Viffer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Cohran View Post
I'm not sure where you went, but the nude beaches I've been to in Oregon, Florida, Washington, California, and Connecticut do not have photography restrictions. I've seen campfire restictions, alcohol restrictions, gun restrictions, standing in the grass restrictions, but never any photography restrictions.
+1. I looked for any signs that I might possibly be breaking. Next time, I'll just throw a brown bag over my head, hang the camera like a tourist, and go nude.
Old 17th of July 2009 (Fri)   #10
Moose408

Yep, they were giving you nasty looks because you are bringing a camera onto a nude beach. They don't know what you are planning on doing with it and probably assume the worse.
Old 17th of July 2009 (Fri)   #11
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

I guess I stopped at "public nude beach."

There are public nude beaches in the US? Beaches that are actually public property where nudity is tolerated by the local police?
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of July 2009 (Fri)   #12
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKirk View Post

There are public nude beaches in the US? Beaches that are actually public property where nudity is tolerated by the local police?
Absolutely - here in Oregon there is Collins Beach and Rooster Rock, in Florida a stretch of Canaveral National Seashore is nude. The San Francisco area has several nude beach areas, most notably Marin Beach, and there is Black Beach near San Diego.

In fact, here's an entire list of nude beaches, some public and some private, but there are indeed plenty of public places where nudity is enjoyed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America
Old 17th of July 2009 (Fri)   #13
advaitin
Goldmember

Quote:

Let's see.. Black's beach in San Diego (you Californians correct me if I'm wrong).

A couple of places in Florida that I either have been to or heard of: The National Seashore Park south of New Smyrna Beach and north of Playa del Linda above Kennedy Space center. Ordinarily you will not be arrested if you drive to the innermost parking from either the south or the north and walk a hundred feet or so toward the center of the seashore park. What won't be tolerated by the rangers is any display of overt sexuality, so no making out on the blanket and no erections (although I have a funny story about that from my one visit to the beach).

And I hear that Navarre Beach in West Florida is tolerant of nudity but also is a gay hangout and the sheriffs of the two counties that join there sometimes harass gays there for inappropriate public activity.

Each state in the US has its own laws, so some are more liberal than others. South Beach in Miami tolerates topless women. Daytona Beach, where I live, does not--sadly.

Some federal and state park areas or public lands have known nudist hangouts that are left alone, such as the wilderness areas of Idaho on BLM land that has a number of natural hot springs. Seeing people nude in the hot springs off wilderness roads was common when I was there in the late 80s.
advaitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of July 2009 (Fri)   #14
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

Quote:

In Rhode Island Moonstone, was both a nude beach, and a National Wildlife Refuge,.. (insert jokes here)

An odd combination of Federal / public properties.

It only was closed to bathers due to protection of the Piping Plover nesting sites (again, insert you own joke here, we RI'ers have been making them fro 30 years or so)

http://www.projo.com/ri/jamestown/co...0.35a3b21.html

Last edited by CyberDyneSystems : 17th of July 2009 (Fri) at 13:13.
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of July 2009 (Fri)   #15
AxxisPhoto

Even though it is a public area, there are still legal issues when shooting people. I'm no expert, but if you posted that image and someone from the beach is in the shoot without signing a release form, I think they have legal recourse to make you take the image down. Just my .02
AxxisPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote