FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 16 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 13:05   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Viffer06
Joined Jun 2008
214 posts
Los Angeles, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Is there a special law that disallow photography on Public Nude Beach?

As I was taking long exposure shots on the beach, I spotted some folks in the nude. They all gave me the nastly look when I'm not even taking pictures. I was merely walking by the area with my camera looking for interesting vantage point for a long exposure, angel hair type of shot.

Post #1, Jul 16, 2009 13:05:50

www.rsalcedo.smugmug.c​omexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
3,375 posts
O-H
[MORE/SHARE]

That is interesting. If it's deemed public property, they really can't do anything, as there is no expectation of privacy.

Post #2, Jul 16, 2009 13:20:27

Christian

aebrown
Maybe the next victim
Joined May 2008
1,279 posts
Portland, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, if it's public property I don't think there is anything wrong, especially given that they are the ones choosing to walk around naked. If it were me, I think I wouldn't be taking pictures of them in the first place. I think normal model release stuff would apply. So long as you're using them for your use and not publicity and such, you're fine.

Interesting twist though. I'm no legal expert, so I can't say I'm correct.

Post #3, Jul 16, 2009 13:25:48

-Aaron Brown :D
1D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 35L, 85L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 580 EX II
Where to goandWhat to doexternal link in the Pacific Northwest
My Flickrexternal link

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
3,697 posts
The Fun Coast of Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Perhaps they would have been more tolerant if you had removed your clothes. I found myself in such a situation years ago--another photographer had been insulted and even had mud thrown at him. I arrived as he was leaving and heard him complain about it, so I took off my clothes and went on to take photos without a problem--welcomed with open arms, almost.

This a scanned copy of one of my photos from that event. No obvious no-nos are visible, so it should be family friendly:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #4, Jul 16, 2009 13:51:54

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,788 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

Law or not, they are obviously likely to give you a weird look.. :)

Post #5, Jul 16, 2009 13:57:06

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

sponsored links
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2002
15,545 posts
Portland, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

If it's public property there are likely no laws restricting photography there. Here in Portland, the local nude beach areas, Collins Beach and Rooster Rock, are often used by photographers for outdoor nude photography. Nudist, however, are generally suspicious of people with cameras if they're not nude themselves.

Post #6, Jul 16, 2009 16:22:51

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Thirty-five years of shooting and still learning.
My G&N Blogexternal link (NSFW)- My Complete Gear Listexternal link - Mac-Photo Websiteexternal link - My Tumblr Siteexternal link (NSFW)
G&N FORUM EARLY ACCESS & IMAGE POSTING RULES

focus.pocus
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
3,423 posts
Geneva Switzerland / South Carolina U.S.A.
[MORE/SHARE]

hate to burst everyones bubble but there are usually signs posted on nude beaches that forbid all sorts of things including cameras and cell phones that take pics. Most public beaches don't allow nudity in the US. Usually just private ones. Been there done that. Just thought I'd let you know. thanks

Post #7, Jul 16, 2009 16:28:02

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2002
15,545 posts
Portland, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

focus.pocus wrote in post #8292463external link
hate to burst everyones bubble but there are usually signs posted on nude beaches that forbid all sorts of things including cameras and cell phones that take pics. Most public beaches don't allow nudity in the US. Usually just private ones. Been there done that. Just thought I'd let you know. thanks

I'm not sure where you went, but the nude beaches I've been to in Oregon, Florida, Washington, California, and Connecticut do not have photography restrictions. I've seen campfire restictions, alcohol restrictions, gun restrictions, standing in the grass restrictions, but never any photography restrictions. :)

Post #8, Jul 16, 2009 17:04:52

Mark
-----
My G&N Blogexternal link (NSFW)- My Complete Gear Listexternal link - Mac-Photo Websiteexternal link - My Tumblr Siteexternal link (NSFW)

Viffer06
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2008
214 posts
Los Angeles, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #8292650external link
I'm not sure where you went, but the nude beaches I've been to in Oregon, Florida, Washington, California, and Connecticut do not have photography restrictions. I've seen campfire restictions, alcohol restrictions, gun restrictions, standing in the grass restrictions, but never any photography restrictions. :)

+1. I looked for any signs that I might possibly be breaking. Next time, I'll just throw a brown bag over my head, hang the camera like a tourist, and go nude. :D

Post #9, Jul 17, 2009 00:44:53

www.rsalcedo.smugmug.c​omexternal link

Moose408
Joined Jan 2006
768 posts
San Jose, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep, they were giving you nasty looks because you are bringing a camera onto a nude beach. They don't know what you are planning on doing with it and probably assume the worse.

Post #10, Jul 17, 2009 03:33:06

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blogexternal link | 500pxexternal link | Model Mayhemexternal link

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2004
11,579 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I guess I stopped at "public nude beach."

There are public nude beaches in the US? Beaches that are actually public property where nudity is tolerated by the local police?

Post #11, Jul 17, 2009 08:46:18 as a reply to Moose408's post 5 hours earlier.

sponsored links
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2002
15,545 posts
Portland, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

RDKirk wrote in post #8295891external link

There are public nude beaches in the US? Beaches that are actually public property where nudity is tolerated by the local police?

Absolutely - here in Oregon there is Collins Beach and Rooster Rock, in Florida a stretch of Canaveral National Seashore is nude. The San Francisco area has several nude beach areas, most notably Marin Beach, and there is Black Beach near San Diego.

In fact, here's an entire list of nude beaches, some public and some private, but there are indeed plenty of public places where nudity is enjoyed:

http://en.wikipedia.or​g ...y_places_in_North_A​mericaexternal link

Post #12, Jul 17, 2009 09:33:49

Mark
-----

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
3,697 posts
The Fun Coast of Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Let's see.. Black's beach in San Diego (you Californians correct me if I'm wrong).

A couple of places in Florida that I either have been to or heard of: The National Seashore Park south of New Smyrna Beach and north of Playa del Linda above Kennedy Space center. Ordinarily you will not be arrested if you drive to the innermost parking from either the south or the north and walk a hundred feet or so toward the center of the seashore park. What won't be tolerated by the rangers is any display of overt sexuality, so no making out on the blanket and no erections (although I have a funny story about that from my one visit to the beach).

And I hear that Navarre Beach in West Florida is tolerant of nudity but also is a gay hangout and the sheriffs of the two counties that join there sometimes harass gays there for inappropriate public activity.

Each state in the US has its own laws, so some are more liberal than others. South Beach in Miami tolerates topless women. Daytona Beach, where I live, does not--sadly.

Some federal and state park areas or public lands have known nudist hangouts that are left alone, such as the wilderness areas of Idaho on BLM land that has a number of natural hot springs. Seeing people nude in the hot springs off wilderness roads was common when I was there in the late 80s.

Post #13, Jul 17, 2009 09:49:03

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,788 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

In Rhode Island Moonstone, was both a nude beach, and a National Wildlife Refuge,.. (insert jokes here)

An odd combination of Federal / public properties.

It only was closed to bathers due to protection of the Piping Plover nesting sites (again, insert you own joke here, we RI'ers have been making them fro 30 years or so)

http://www.projo.com ..._UJ77HIT_v10.35a3b2​1.htmlexternal link

Post #14, Jul 17, 2009 12:10:53

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

AxxisPhoto
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
1,833 posts
Chicago, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Even though it is a public area, there are still legal issues when shooting people. I'm no expert, but if you posted that image and someone from the beach is in the shoot without signing a release form, I think they have legal recourse to make you take the image down. Just my .02

Post #15, Jul 17, 2009 12:16:18

Alex
2x 5Dmk2 | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 24-105mm f4L IS | Alien Bees lights |
AxxisPhotoexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
30,276 views & 0 likes for this thread
Public Nude Beach and the Photography Law
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES