Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 14:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

On the beach

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Kent UK
Jul 23, 2009 14:09 |  #1

These were taken on a local beach days after getting my 450D. Any tips or adivce would be nice.

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/shagnasty/IMG_0194.jpg

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/shagnasty/IMG_0241.jpg

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisagefolkestone​.com (external link)

amethyst ­ dragon
377 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Denver
Jul 23, 2009 14:22 |  #2

Welcome to POTN! You will learn a lot from here!
Always keep an eye on the horizon. Try shooting in different light. Either early morning or dusk. When composing a shot, think about the rule of thirds.
Keep shooting!

Canon 400D
Canon 18-55mm kit lens
Sigma 70-300mm APO DG
Sigma 17-35 EX DG HSM

Ronin ­ Silv
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Kent UK
Jul 24, 2009 12:41 |  #3

Thanks for your reply but what I'm really looking for is is are these photos any good? And is there anything I could do to improve them not through editing but with technique etc.

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisagefolkestone​.com (external link)

Cubix ­ Rube
545 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Livermore, Ca.
Jul 24, 2009 15:11 |  #4

I believe Amethyst Dragon's comments are related to your technique, based on viewing these photos.
1. Your horizon in the first shot leans to the left.
2. These appear to have been shot in mid day, which is the harshest light possible. Morning or evening light are preferable to mid day just about 100% of the time.
3. If you're not familiar with the rule of thirds, Google it. Generally, you do not want your subject smack in the middle of the frame. Nor do you want your horizons to split the shot directly across the center of the frame, but rather near the upper or lower third of the frame, depending on whether there is more interest in the foreground or sky.
So, to answer your question, these photos could indeed be improved upon by following these suggestions, but as they are, they don't stand out as anything special to me, at least.
Again, welcome to POTN, don't get discouraged, and keep practicing! I look forward to seeing your progress over time.

Upside the head...A place where nothing good ever happens.
My stuff: 5DII, 20D, kit lens, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-300 USM IS, 50 f/1.8, 580 EX, Lumiquest 80/20 flash bounce, a few filters, manfroto tripod with ball head. Pathetic Flickr gallery,external linkSmugmug siteexternal link

840 views & 0 likes for this thread
On the beach
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.