Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 22:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk

Ballen ­ Photo
19,462 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Jul 23, 2009 22:48 |  #1

Well Folks, A film Forum was requested in this thread, http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=727213
As well as a great ongoing film image thread here. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=722089
Pekka has worked very hard to bring this forum (POTN) to us, and it just wouldn't be fair to ask for another forum right now. Anyway, It looks like a dedicated Film Forum is not going to happen right away, if ever, so I thought I'd do the next best thing. Film shooters please show your support for your passion here. You just never know what may happen in the future if interest in this grows. :)
Talk about Dark Room Technique, favorite film, etc. Feel free to link a url to any specific image in the "Post Your Film Shots" here for discussion.
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

sponsored links
Lizzy7
260 posts
Joined Jun 2009
UK
Jul 24, 2009 02:44 |  #2

Hi, I'll join in :)

I use both film and digital although I feel my heart lies in film, most likely because I shoot mostly in b/w. I have a couple of EOS 5 bodies although I think one is about to give up, but I have my eye on an EOS 1.

I even shot a roll of film on my old AE1P the other day!

I generally use HP5, sometimes Ilford 3200 (how much grain!) and I print at home.

I also have a Cambo 5x4 camera which I used to use for product shots but would love to use more if I ever find the time.

Lizzy

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Jul 24, 2009 03:01 |  #3

I will watch this thread as i didn't shoot film before at all and even with many digital cameras i have i want to go with film camera only in MF or LF [not interested in 35mm].

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
Jul 24, 2009 05:50 |  #4

Still have an Eos 10, Eos 5, Eos 1 and Eos 1nHS. And a Rollei 35T and Minox 35GL (IIRC)

There's a film in the 1n. Half full.
I keep telling myself I have to shoot filem every once in a while, but somehow it just doesn't happen :p

I also have a Leica V35 Enlarger. I think I'll convert it to a lamp.

This is a good time to buy film equipment, not to sell it....

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

mehran.mo
998 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jul 24, 2009 08:04 |  #5

I'm in. My main film camera is the Mamiya C330. Maybe a hasselblad soon enough.

Digital SLR: Canon 5D w/grip * EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM * EF 200mm f2.8L MK I * 580EX II
Film SLR: Hasselblad 500c * Zeiss 60mm f3.5 CF T* Distagon (whole kit for sale)
www.borbal.comexternal link

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Jul 24, 2009 10:05 as a reply to mehran.mo's post |  #6

There is no question film shooters will have to start pooling resources, information, tips, etc. As more and more film products disappear from the market, it is going to require an increasingly high degree of resourcefulness by its supporters.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,462 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Jul 24, 2009 10:31 |  #7

Lizzy7 wrote in post #8334642external link
I generally use HP5, sometimes Ilford 3200 (how much grain!) and I print at home.

I also have a Cambo 5x4 camera which I used to use for product shots but would love to use more if I ever find the time.

Lizzy

Hi Lizzy, While I've never tried Illford's iso 3200 film, I can attest to Kodaks TMAX iso 3200 being a blast to use for indoor street style photography. <---Does that make sense? :lol:
The beauty being no flash required.
I used to use Bronica SQa system for weddings, along with a Canon A2e. That was in another life though. (Long time ago)
More recently I have used Kodak's BW400CN film for B&W stuff. I think it was pretty good. ;)
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jul 24, 2009 10:48 |  #8

trix 400 shot at 200 and tmax 3200 shot at 1600 are my main uses. trying to get ahold of some tech pan as ive only shot one roll but that one roll makes me think im shooting MF or LF with the AMAZING resolution it has.

btw, anyone know any secret places for kodachrome that it wont cost 20-40 per roll like ebay???

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 4x5
Lenses: 28/1.8,
85/1.8, Sekor Z 110/2.8, Sekor ULD 50 4.5, Schneider SA 75/5.6
Other: CanoScan 8800F
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/www.Robe​rtKauffman.netwww.RobertKauffman.net

mehran.mo
998 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jul 24, 2009 11:20 |  #9

kauffman v36 wrote in post #8336089external link
trix 400 shot at 200 and tmax 3200 shot at 1600 are my main uses. trying to get ahold of some tech pan as ive only shot one roll but that one roll makes me think im shooting MF or LF with the AMAZING resolution it has.

btw, anyone know any secret places for kodachrome that it wont cost 20-40 per roll like ebay???

We might have some left at my store. Would you be interested in buying it from me if I were to buy them for you?

Digital SLR: Canon 5D w/grip * EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM * EF 200mm f2.8L MK I * 580EX II

bjordan
977 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Central Coast, CA
Jul 24, 2009 11:41 |  #10

Belmondo wrote in post #8335875external link
There is no question film shooters will have to start pooling resources, information, tips, etc. As more and more film products disappear from the market, it is going to require an increasingly high degree of resourcefulness by its supporters.

Yes, and I think it's a shame. There is a lot of good 35mm and medium-format gear out there collecting dust in closets, but capable of excellent pictures.

"...this was the destiny of our lives. A long time ago this was our future, looking now for a lost pomegranate at Big Sur." -R. Brautigan

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jul 24, 2009 12:29 |  #11

"Film" ?

What is this "Film" you speak of?

... sorry, had to get that one in there just to get things rolling! :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

S7000
My brain hurts
7,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007
Sydney
Jul 24, 2009 12:44 |  #12

8 more pictures and my next roll of film will be off to the lab. :lol:

Phil | flickrexternal link | Gear | Websiteexternal link

kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jul 24, 2009 12:59 |  #13

mehran.mo wrote in post #8336228external link
We might have some left at my store. Would you be interested in buying it from me if I were to buy them for you?

yes indeed. these ebay auctions that like 40 bucks for 3 rolls are not worth it. i just want to shoot a few rolls of the infamous KC before its gone forever

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 4x5
Lenses: 28/1.8,
85/1.8, Sekor Z 110/2.8, Sekor ULD 50 4.5, Schneider SA 75/5.6
Other: CanoScan 8800F
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/www.Robe​rtKauffman.netwww.RobertKauffman.net

mehran.mo
998 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jul 24, 2009 13:01 |  #14

kauffman v36 wrote in post #8336771external link
yes indeed. these ebay auctions that like 40 bucks for 3 rolls are not worth it. i just want to shoot a few rolls of the infamous KC before its gone forever

I'm going to work this afternoon, I'll let you know if we still have some left. *Crosses fingers*

We have a few customers that are Kodachrome fiends. They only shoot Kodachrome.

Lizzy7
260 posts
Joined Jun 2009
UK
Jul 24, 2009 13:02 |  #15

Ballen Photo wrote in post #8336023external link
Hi Lizzy, While I've never tried Illford's iso 3200 film, I can attest to Kodaks TMAX iso 3200 being a blast to use for indoor street style photography. <---Does that make sense? :lol:
The beauty being no flash required.
I used to use Bronica SQa system for weddings, along with a Canon A2e. That was in another life though. (Long time ago)
More recently I have used Kodak's BW400CN film for B&W stuff. I think it was pretty good. ;)
-Bruce

I just sold my Bronica SQa and 3 lenses and immediately regretted it......funny thing was I sold it to a guy who had recently sold his and regretted it so much he had to buy another one!

I've not used TMAX 3200 but I'll definately give it a go. My main thing is available light portraits. I do like the 3200 film it's just a bit of a pain to process, I get a bit bored sitting in the darkroom for that long. I love film photography and hand printing but not film processing (except for taking it off the spiral ;) )

I still shoot a lot of film for b/w, did some today of my daughter in the park. Would be much easier if she wasn't so fed up of me taking photos of her :)

Lizzy

sponsored links

503,100 views & 644 likes for this thread
The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.