Macro shots using Tilt lens - Please share your experience <Moved from Macro Photos>

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 31 Jul 2009 (Friday) 08:44   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

roli_bark
Joined Oct 2005
918 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Has anybody taken Macro shots exploiting the TILT capability of a Tilt-Shift lens ? Currently, Canon provides 4 focal lengths TS-E lenses: 90mm, 45mm, 24mm, & 17mm. I guess that the 90 & 45 are good candidates.

Can anybody share/upload his/her experience ?
Thanks

Post #1, Jul 31, 2009 08:44:20

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
19,821 posts
Hampshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

This might be better in talk about, more response and room for inevitable technical discussions.

A few shots have been shown, a search may find them. I can't show any shots as I don't have a T&S, but I can help on the theory.

It is worth noting that when focused at infinity the lens tilt available is sufficient to tilt the sharp focus plane to 90 degrees, however this reduces dramatically as you focus closer. Typically only about 16 degrees of tilt can be obtained at life size (using equations here http://www.zen20934.ze​n.co.uk ...raphy/tiltshift.htm​#Closeexternal link Up).

This can be illustrated with this plot, showing the tilt of the planes of sharp and acceptable focus (ie the planes of depth of field, this is not affected much by focal length.

IMAGE: http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/tiltshift/Closeup%20Tilt%2045mm%20Full.jpg

Of course you can use focus stacking to improve DOF for some subjects rather than T&S, most obviously mushrooms, flowers etc that would be good applications for T&S.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that manages to use lens tilt handheld with insects.

Post #2, Aug 01, 2009 08:17:53

How to embed images from flickr so AMASS can retrieve the exif by Levina
My Photography Home Pageexternal link RSS Feedexternal link
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
Joined Oct 2005
51,921 posts
Worthing UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I have seen good closeups using a 90mm TSE with ext tubes. These were all "still-lifes" as the necessary lens adjustments just take too long for live insects seemed to be the verdict of users.
Brian V.

Post #3, Aug 02, 2009 00:43:00

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/external link
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/external link
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
19,821 posts
Hampshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

LordV wrote in post #8383829external link
I have seen good closeups using a 90mm TSE with ext tubes. These were all "still-lifes" as the necessary lens adjustments just take too long for live insects seemed to be the verdict of users.
Brian V.

That is what I thought brian.
If it is still life then focus stacking is an easy option, allthough this means time on the PC it is probably quicker than doing the tilt adjustment.

Post #4, Aug 02, 2009 02:11:14

Gear List

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
19,821 posts
Hampshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Thinking about it further, you could pre-adjust the tilt and just judge the plane of focus.

Normally one approaches insect photography by making small position adjustments to optimise sharp plane of focus, one could do the same with a tilted plane of focus.

This would work if you previsualise your composition and set the plane of focus.

The complication is I think the plane of focus for a given lens tilt will vary, for typical close-up work it is going to be between 16-20 degrees.

I can see it working as long as one did not fiddle with the lens tilt adjustment whilst trying to line up a shot.

Post #5, Aug 03, 2009 07:10:29

Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,705 views & 0 likes for this thread
Macro shots using Tilt lens - Please share your experience <Moved from Macro Photos>
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES