Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Macro Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st of July 2009 (Fri)   #1
roli_bark

Default Macro shots using Tilt lens - Please share your experience <Moved from Macro Photos>

Has anybody taken Macro shots exploiting the TILT capability of a Tilt-Shift lens ? Currently, Canon provides 4 focal lengths TS-E lenses: 90mm, 45mm, 24mm, & 17mm. I guess that the 90 & 45 are good candidates.

Can anybody share/upload his/her experience ?
Thanks
roli_bark is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of August 2009 (Sat)   #2
Lester Wareham

Default Re: Macro shots using Tilt lens - Please share your experience

This might be better in talk about, more response and room for inevitable technical discussions.

A few shots have been shown, a search may find them. I can't show any shots as I don't have a T&S, but I can help on the theory.

It is worth noting that when focused at infinity the lens tilt available is sufficient to tilt the sharp focus plane to 90 degrees, however this reduces dramatically as you focus closer. Typically only about 16 degrees of tilt can be obtained at life size (using equations here http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photog...hift.htm#Close Up).

This can be illustrated with this plot, showing the tilt of the planes of sharp and acceptable focus (ie the planes of depth of field, this is not affected much by focal length.

Of course you can use focus stacking to improve DOF for some subjects rather than T&S, most obviously mushrooms, flowers etc that would be good applications for T&S.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that manages to use lens tilt handheld with insects.
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Last edited by Lester Wareham : 1st of August 2009 (Sat) at 10:42. Reason: Reply added
Lester Wareham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2009 (Sun)   #3
LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006

Default Re: Macro shots using Tilt lens - Please share your experience <Moved from Macro Phot

I have seen good closeups using a 90mm TSE with ext tubes. These were all "still-lifes" as the necessary lens adjustments just take too long for live insects seemed to be the verdict of users.
Brian V.
Canon 600D, Canon 40D, Canon 5D mk2, Tamron 90mm macro, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits
LordV is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of August 2009 (Sun)   #4
Lester Wareham

Default Re: Macro shots using Tilt lens - Please share your experience <Moved from Macro Phot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordV View Post
I have seen good closeups using a 90mm TSE with ext tubes. These were all "still-lifes" as the necessary lens adjustments just take too long for live insects seemed to be the verdict of users.
Brian V.
That is what I thought brian.
If it is still life then focus stacking is an easy option, allthough this means time on the PC it is probably quicker than doing the tilt adjustment.
Old 3rd of August 2009 (Mon)   #5
Lester Wareham

Thinking about it further, you could pre-adjust the tilt and just judge the plane of focus.

Normally one approaches insect photography by making small position adjustments to optimise sharp plane of focus, one could do the same with a tilted plane of focus.

This would work if you previsualise your composition and set the plane of focus.

The complication is I think the plane of focus for a given lens tilt will vary, for typical close-up work it is going to be between 16-20 degrees.

I can see it working as long as one did not fiddle with the lens tilt adjustment whilst trying to line up a shot.