FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 01 Aug 2009 (Saturday) 20:15   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

57hardtop
Joined Mar 2008
760 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

OK, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've just started to experiment with tethered shooting using the EOS utility and DPP. Software questions, opinions and preferences aside, my question is about the USB cable. I'm using the cable that came with my 40D...its about 5 feet long. I've read that I can use a longer USB cable, but it should not be longer than 15 foot or the there will be signal loss. Here's my question...can I use any generic third party USB cable (with the proper ends, of course)? The Canon supplied USB cable has a small barrel shaped plastic thing inline...about 1 inch from the end that plugs into the camera. I'm assuming that this thing is important. I've never seen a third party USB cable with one of those things. It looks like some kind of a regulator or something. Any advise and/or guidance will be much appreciated. Thanks

Post #1, Aug 01, 2009 20:15:06

Roger
Gear list and feedback
http://retouching-on-the.net/forums/external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
gopack471
Joined Jun 2009
231 posts
NJ, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've had mine at least plugged in with the cable that came with my P&S so I don't think it matters as long as the plug fits.

Post #2, Aug 01, 2009 20:19:28

Tom - Zenfolioexternal link
Canon: 7D|17-55/2.8|50/1.4|85/1.8|2​8-135|430exII
Sigma: 70-200/2.8
Olympus: EPL1 & 14-42

57hardtop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
760 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Tom...my Canon P&S has a USB cable too, and it also has one of those barrel things. I don't think it would matter either, but I can't help but wonder what that barrel thing is or does. Why would Canon put it there? I'm probably just being too cautious.

Post #3, Aug 01, 2009 20:26:27

Roger
Gear list and feedback

jdbroadwater
Joined Apr 2007
37 posts
S.E. Michigan, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

The barrel thing is a ferrite inductor block and helps to stop interference getting into the USB signals. It's not a big deal and you are correct - most after market USB cables do not have it. I use my 40D tethered quite a bit and have an additional USB female to male cable attached along with the normal cable and have never had any issues with the them. With the two cables connected it's about 12 ft in length.

Post #4, Aug 01, 2009 20:39:35 as a reply to 57hardtop's post 13 minutes earlier.

Gripped 7D - EF 50mm f/1.4 - EF 70-200 f4 L IS - EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 - EF-S 60mm f/2.8 -- EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 580EXII - 1.4TC - and a lot of other crap I seldom use.

57hardtop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
760 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

jdbroadwater wrote in post #8382865external link
The barrel thing is a ferrite inductor block and helps to stop interference getting into the USB signals. It's not a big deal and you are correct - most after market USB cables do not have it. I use my 40D tethered quite a bit and have an additional USB female to male cable attached along with the normal cable and have never had any issues with the them. With the two cables connected it's about 12 ft in length.

Thanks JD...that's exactly what I needed to hear...and thanks for satisfying my curiosity on what the hell those things are :D

Post #5, Aug 01, 2009 20:50:21

Roger
Gear list and feedback

sponsored links
Rayk
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
1,771 posts
Luton, Bedfordshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I know this may sound mad, but I have had it confirmed by Canon tec support here in the Uk, I had a problem with my Canon scanner & Canon laser printer, these will only work with a USB cable no longer than 2 meters.

Post #6, Aug 02, 2009 02:17:33 as a reply to 57hardtop's post 5 hours earlier.

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- ACA - Adobe Certified Associate -
www.rakphotographic.co​mexternal link
Follow me on Facebookexternal link
Follow me on Twitterexternal link

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,418 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I've used 12m of usb between my 50D and my laptop. The two 5m extension cables were the powered 'booster' type.

Post #7, Aug 02, 2009 02:20:27

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

Headshotzx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
4,395 posts
Singapore
[MORE/SHARE]

I use 3 x 1.5m extenders including the given usb cables for tethered shooting. No problems.

Post #8, Aug 02, 2009 09:56:53 as a reply to hollis_f's post 7 hours earlier.

Zexun - 21 y.o photographer/film-maker | Flickrexternal link | YouTubeexternal link |

tunin
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,187 posts
New York, NY - Medjugorje, BiH
[MORE/SHARE]

Just the other day I tried it with a 6$ USB A to mini 10 meterexternal link cable and it worked fine...

Post #9, Aug 02, 2009 11:18:16

I am not young enough to know everything. O.W.
www.medjugorje.netexternal link
*** Amateur tools ***

WillMass
Joined Jan 2008
517 posts
Behind a lens somewhere
[MORE/SHARE]

Or you could give this a go: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=695676

Post #10, Aug 02, 2009 21:36:05 as a reply to tunin's post 10 hours earlier.

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:

melwood
Hatchling
Joined Jul 2009
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

The difference between a 3rd party cable and the one from Canon should be minimal. The max length I believe for full USB speed is 5m, but any noise could reduce this. The cable is shielded, but the noise can be from your equipment.

The ferrite, if there is one, is to help the device meet FCC requirements and won't impact cable length.

Post #11, Aug 03, 2009 17:43:47 as a reply to WillMass's post 20 hours earlier.

sponsored links
melwood
Hatchling
Joined Jul 2009
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Another thing: If you use wireless USB, then DSLR remote Pro is a good tethered software choice, since it does not close down when connectivity with the camera is lost. Rather, it will reconnected automatically.

Post #12, Aug 03, 2009 17:47:26 as a reply to melwood's post 3 minutes earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,023 views & 0 likes for this thread
USB Cable for Tethered Shooting - Help Please
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES