Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of August 2009 (Sat)   #1
57hardtop

Default USB Cable for Tethered Shooting - Help Please

OK, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've just started to experiment with tethered shooting using the EOS utility and DPP. Software questions, opinions and preferences aside, my question is about the USB cable. I'm using the cable that came with my 40D...its about 5 feet long. I've read that I can use a longer USB cable, but it should not be longer than 15 foot or the there will be signal loss. Here's my question...can I use any generic third party USB cable (with the proper ends, of course)? The Canon supplied USB cable has a small barrel shaped plastic thing inline...about 1 inch from the end that plugs into the camera. I'm assuming that this thing is important. I've never seen a third party USB cable with one of those things. It looks like some kind of a regulator or something. Any advise and/or guidance will be much appreciated. Thanks

57hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of August 2009 (Sat)   #2
gopack471

Default Re: USB Cable for Tethered Shooting - Help Please

I've had mine at least plugged in with the cable that came with my P&S so I don't think it matters as long as the plug fits.
Olympus: EPL1 & 14-42

gopack471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of August 2009 (Sat)   #3
57hardtop

Thanks Tom...my Canon P&S has a USB cable too, and it also has one of those barrel things. I don't think it would matter either, but I can't help but wonder what that barrel thing is or does. Why would Canon put it there? I'm probably just being too cautious.

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of August 2009 (Sat)   #4
jdbroadwater

The barrel thing is a ferrite inductor block and helps to stop interference getting into the USB signals. It's not a big deal and you are correct - most after market USB cables do not have it. I use my 40D tethered quite a bit and have an additional USB female to male cable attached along with the normal cable and have never had any issues with the them. With the two cables connected it's about 12 ft in length.
Old 1st of August 2009 (Sat)   #5
57hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbroadwater View Post
The barrel thing is a ferrite inductor block and helps to stop interference getting into the USB signals. It's not a big deal and you are correct - most after market USB cables do not have it. I use my 40D tethered quite a bit and have an additional USB female to male cable attached along with the normal cable and have never had any issues with the them. With the two cables connected it's about 12 ft in length.
Thanks JD...that's exactly what I needed to hear...and thanks for satisfying my curiosity on what the hell those things are

Old 2nd of August 2009 (Sun)   #6
Rayk

I know this may sound mad, but I have had it confirmed by Canon tec support here in the Uk, I had a problem with my Canon scanner & Canon laser printer, these will only work with a USB cable no longer than 2 meters.
Follow me on Facebook
Rayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2009 (Sun)   #7
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

I've used 12m of usb between my 50D and my laptop. The two 5m extension cables were the powered 'booster' type.
hollis_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2009 (Sun)   #8
Headshotzx
Goldmember

I use 3 x 1.5m extenders including the given usb cables for tethered shooting. No problems.
Old 2nd of August 2009 (Sun)   #9
tunin

Just the other day I tried it with a 6$ USB A to mini 10 meter cable and it worked fine...

*** Amateur tools ***
tunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2009 (Sun)   #10
WillMass

Or you could give this a go: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=695676
Old 3rd of August 2009 (Mon)   #11
melwood
User is banned from forums

The difference between a 3rd party cable and the one from Canon should be minimal. The max length I believe for full USB speed is 5m, but any noise could reduce this. The cable is shielded, but the noise can be from your equipment.

The ferrite, if there is one, is to help the device meet FCC requirements and won't impact cable length.
melwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of August 2009 (Mon)   #12
melwood
User is banned from forums

Another thing: If you use wireless USB, then DSLR remote Pro is a good tethered software choice, since it does not close down when connectivity with the camera is lost. Rather, it will reconnected automatically.
melwood is offline   Reply With Quote