LIST NEARBY THREADS

KevC
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
3,154 posts
to
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey,

I'm shooting a friend before she goes off to prom. Orange shimmering dress. Yes, orange. Basically just for memories sake. I'm basically going to do some portraits for her before she goes off.

My Nifty Fifty is all I have... I'll shoot vertically to get the full body in the frame. Maybe some half body, or even tight head/shoulder crops. The thing is, I don't know any poses. I found a bunch of fashion/glamour poses, but I don't think it will work well with formalwear.

Any suggestions?

I'd normally just go out and shoot everything I can, but I wanna be somewhat prepared since this is her last year of highschool and last prom...

//edit: Oh right, this is going to be about 4pm... I'm thinking a park... maybe some narrow DOF head/shoulders crop to kill the background. Or maybe just brick wall. However, the orange will clash.... ahh I'm scared lol. I have a week to think about this.

Post #1, May 12, 2005 18:17:31

Too much gear...
take nothing but pictures .... kill nothing but time .... leave nothing but footprints

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

If she's dark haired try for light colored backgrounds, and vice versa. The best thing to do would be to try to find pics of people in similar situations either online or magazines and see what you like.

Post #2, May 12, 2005 19:20:07

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

mbze430
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
2,454 posts
Chino Hills
[MORE/SHARE]

What is up with the brick walls? Hasn't anyone figured out that brick walls are too distracting as background?? I don't get it.

Post #3, May 12, 2005 19:21:22

Gear List

My Hub to my personal workexternal link (just click on the banners)

Aussie_Dog
Joined May 2005
39 posts
Red Deer, Alberta
[MORE/SHARE]

mbze430 wrote:
What is up with the brick walls? Hasn't anyone figured out that brick walls are too distracting as background?? I don't get it.

I don't take pictures against brick, but I've got a couch that's the same color as a brick wall (red with miscellaneous other colored threads). Every single picture I've taken of an animal on it has turned out bad.

Post #4, May 12, 2005 19:37:05 as a reply to mbze430's post 15 minutes earlier.

Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs. :cool:

KevC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
3,154 posts
to
[MORE/SHARE]

Hm. Location, location, location. I guess it's just like real estate.

Yes, she's dark haired... so I'll find a light background. I've got this oldish beige background in my mind, weathered down wall.... now just to find that in real life.

How about poses?

Post #5, May 12, 2005 20:29:30

Too much gear...
take nothing but pictures .... kill nothing but time .... leave nothing but footprints

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

KevC wrote:
How about poses?

What kind of effect are you after? Demure girl? Pr0n star? Hollywood actress? Girl before elegant night dancing? Horror film? Glamour?

Post #6, May 12, 2005 20:31:39 as a reply to KevC's post 2 minutes earlier.

Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link

KevC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
3,154 posts
to
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote:
What kind of effect are you after? Demure girl? Pr0n star? Hollywood actress? Girl before elegant night dancing? Horror film? Glamour?

Any and all. Well, minus the pr0n star. I think we'd like the "girl before elegant night of dancing". It'd be much more romantic if it was darker, but this is 4pm in Spring.

I've looked through a wedding book to get ideas for poses, but they all involve some gazebo or elegant trees. I do suppose we can drive hunting these locations, but all I have is a park. I guess I just have to make do with what I have...

Post #7, May 12, 2005 20:41:32 as a reply to tim's post 9 minutes earlier.

Too much gear...

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

You should ask her how she wants to be remembered on that night, and structure the poses around that.

Post #8, May 12, 2005 20:48:09

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2004
12,311 posts
where the buffalo roam
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote:
You should ask her how she wants to be remembered on that night, and structure the poses around that.

You can ask, but you shouldn't expect to hear anything coherent.

Post #9, May 12, 2005 21:21:51 as a reply to tim's post 33 minutes earlier.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

Remember, if you shoot a man's portrait, it should show his square jaw and steely determination. If you shoot a woman's portrait, make sure it shows her graceful, swanlike neck.

If she has really dark hair, then consider some hair light from the side.

---Bob Gross---

Post #10, May 12, 2005 22:41:49 as a reply to DocFrankenstein's post 1 hour earlier.

MTalley
Joined Apr 2005
820 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a place I ran across the other day. If you can get past the photos from the 1970's and 80's, it at least has some good, basic posing rules laid out. Of course, like any rules, they are made to be broken. :)

First page on posing women.external link

Post #11, May 12, 2005 23:15:32

external link

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

MTalley wrote:
Here's a place I ran across the other day. If you can get past the photos from the 1970's and 80's, it at least has some good, basic posing rules laid out. Of course, like any rules, they are made to be broken. :)

First page on posing women.external link

I've seen that before, the photos are horrible, I wouldn't take those tips.

Post #12, May 12, 2005 23:58:59 as a reply to MTalley's post 43 minutes earlier.

MTalley
Joined Apr 2005
820 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

True. Given the age of the photos, etc., I guess one would potentially call them "classic" rules. (Ancient, maybe?). :D

OK, forget I mentioned it. :p

Post #13, May 13, 2005 09:48:24

external link

Merle
Joined Feb 2005
132 posts
Aurora, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

KevC,

There are many things to take into consideragtion on this assignment. If the dress in question is form fitting or does it flair out at the waist line. One of the first things I would try to do is to photograph this young lady with her date , her in her formal and him in what he intends to wear on their date. Photograph them together(several poses), then phtograph each one seperately (several poses) One of the best tips I recieved over the years was "as long as you are getting good expressions never photograph more than one shot per pose !" You want to photograph a lot of different poses and have them fall in love with each pose so they will need to purchase more, some from each pose. ;) :) :D

Good shooting to ya !!
Merle

Post #14, May 15, 2005 12:59:23 as a reply to MTalley's post 2 days earlier.

Buckeye1
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
2,215 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello Kev,
I am properly the newest member as I have just joined a few minutes ago. I am also new to portrait photography as well. Is your model tall? short? Certain poses will not make a tall/short person look good. Are you taller or shorter than the model? Your camera angle might have an effect on the final outcome as well...like double chin. I am sure your female model would not like that. I agree with Bob Gross' (BTW, he is very good at what he does based on his posts in this forum) answer, and you might want to include her beautiful shoulder in some of your poses. I would take a couple of poses of her looking out the window (take advantage of the window light) and smile as if her man has just arrived to pick her up. Please share your final outcome so that I can learn from you, thanks.

Post #15, May 16, 2005 11:52:18

LIST NEARBY THREADS
7,013 views & 0 likes for this thread
Formal Poses
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES