Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #1
KevC
Goldmember

Default Formal Poses

Hey,

I'm shooting a friend before she goes off to prom. Orange shimmering dress. Yes, orange. Basically just for memories sake. I'm basically going to do some portraits for her before she goes off.

My Nifty Fifty is all I have... I'll shoot vertically to get the full body in the frame. Maybe some half body, or even tight head/shoulder crops. The thing is, I don't know any poses. I found a bunch of fashion/glamour poses, but I don't think it will work well with formalwear.

Any suggestions?

I'd normally just go out and shoot everything I can, but I wanna be somewhat prepared since this is her last year of highschool and last prom...

//edit: Oh right, this is going to be about 4pm... I'm thinking a park... maybe some narrow DOF head/shoulders crop to kill the background. Or maybe just brick wall. However, the orange will clash.... ahh I'm scared lol. I have a week to think about this.

take nothing but pictures .... kill nothing but time .... leave nothing but footprints

Last edited by KevC : 12th of May 2005 (Thu) at 18:21.
KevC is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #2
tim
Light Bringer

Default Re: Formal Poses

If she's dark haired try for light colored backgrounds, and vice versa. The best thing to do would be to try to find pics of people in similar situations either online or magazines and see what you like.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #3
mbze430
Goldmember

What is up with the brick walls? Hasn't anyone figured out that brick walls are too distracting as background?? I don't get it.

My Hub to my personal work (just click on the banners)
mbze430 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #4
Aussie_Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbze430
What is up with the brick walls? Hasn't anyone figured out that brick walls are too distracting as background?? I don't get it.
I don't take pictures against brick, but I've got a couch that's the same color as a brick wall (red with miscellaneous other colored threads). Every single picture I've taken of an animal on it has turned out bad.
Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #5
KevC
Goldmember

Hm. Location, location, location. I guess it's just like real estate.

Yes, she's dark haired... so I'll find a light background. I've got this oldish beige background in my mind, weathered down wall.... now just to find that in real life.

How about poses?

take nothing but pictures .... kill nothing but time .... leave nothing but footprints
Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #6
tim
Light Bringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevC
How about poses?
What kind of effect are you after? Demure girl? Pr0n star? Hollywood actress? Girl before elegant night dancing? Horror film? Glamour?
Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #7
KevC
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
What kind of effect are you after? Demure girl? Pr0n star? Hollywood actress? Girl before elegant night dancing? Horror film? Glamour?
Any and all. Well, minus the pr0n star. I think we'd like the "girl before elegant night of dancing". It'd be much more romantic if it was darker, but this is 4pm in Spring.

I've looked through a wedding book to get ideas for poses, but they all involve some gazebo or elegant trees. I do suppose we can drive hunting these locations, but all I have is a park. I guess I just have to make do with what I have...

Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #8
tim
Light Bringer

You should ask her how she wants to be remembered on that night, and structure the poses around that.
Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #9
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
You should ask her how she wants to be remembered on that night, and structure the poses around that.
You can ask, but you shouldn't expect to hear anything coherent.
Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #10
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

Remember, if you shoot a man's portrait, it should show his square jaw and steely determination. If you shoot a woman's portrait, make sure it shows her graceful, swanlike neck.

If she has really dark hair, then consider some hair light from the side.

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #11
MTalley

Here's a place I ran across the other day. If you can get past the photos from the 1970's and 80's, it at least has some good, basic posing rules laid out. Of course, like any rules, they are made to be broken.

First page on posing women.

MTalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of May 2005 (Thu)   #12
tim
Light Bringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTalley
Here's a place I ran across the other day. If you can get past the photos from the 1970's and 80's, it at least has some good, basic posing rules laid out. Of course, like any rules, they are made to be broken.

First page on posing women.
I've seen that before, the photos are horrible, I wouldn't take those tips.
Old 13th of May 2005 (Fri)   #13
MTalley

True. Given the age of the photos, etc., I guess one would potentially call them "classic" rules. (Ancient, maybe?).

OK, forget I mentioned it.

MTalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of May 2005 (Sun)   #14
Merle

Smile Re: Formal Poses

KevC,

There are many things to take into consideragtion on this assignment. If the dress in question is form fitting or does it flair out at the waist line. One of the first things I would try to do is to photograph this young lady with her date , her in her formal and him in what he intends to wear on their date. Photograph them together(several poses), then phtograph each one seperately (several poses) One of the best tips I recieved over the years was "as long as you are getting good expressions never photograph more than one shot per pose !" You want to photograph a lot of different poses and have them fall in love with each pose so they will need to purchase more, some from each pose.

Good shooting to ya !!
Merle
Merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of May 2005 (Mon)   #15
Buckeye1
Goldmember

Hello Kev,
I am properly the newest member as I have just joined a few minutes ago. I am also new to portrait photography as well. Is your model tall? short? Certain poses will not make a tall/short person look good. Are you taller or shorter than the model? Your camera angle might have an effect on the final outcome as well...like double chin. I am sure your female model would not like that. I agree with Bob Gross' (BTW, he is very good at what he does based on his posts in this forum) answer, and you might want to include her beautiful shoulder in some of your poses. I would take a couple of poses of her looking out the window (take advantage of the window light) and smile as if her man has just arrived to pick her up. Please share your final outcome so that I can learn from you, thanks.
Buckeye1 is offline   Reply With Quote