DPP: Soft JPEG when 'convert & save' from RAW

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 05 Aug 2009 (Wednesday) 06:16   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

grander
Joined Jun 2009
44 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

So I've just spent the better part of 5 hours on here reading past threads about this problem as I too had this happening... The processed JPEG that I opened in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer looked really soft compared to the modified RAW that was still open in DPP 3.5.

I followed what a member on here (Rene Damkot) was saying... compare them at 100% and decide. Rene was right, the images were about the same... a bit better result.

But to tell you the truth I dont really want to spend all this cash and time on photography so that when I show my mates or fiancee what I've been up to, the images look really soft at first glance.

I opened up the JPEG with Windows Viewer, the RAW with DPP and another copy of the JPEG with Quicktime Picture Viewer 7.6.

The Windows viewer was soft
DPP was sharp
Quicktime viewer was sharp

Any ideas why this would happen ?? Why would the programs differ ??
Is there another viewer I should be associating JPEGS with ?? or stay with Quicktime...

Sam

Post #1, Aug 05, 2009 06:16:31

Canon 50D -- Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 -- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 -- Canon 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
LowerO
Joined Sep 2007
46 posts
Gloucestershire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Sam

I had similar frustrations when comparing DPP with LR2. DPP was much better to my eye. Rene and Victoria provided some very useful insight into why it was the case. As a result I changed some of the settings in LR2 and now the 2 programs deliver very similar onscreen results.

It sounds like you've got a similar situation.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=732376

Regards

Nigel

Post #2, Aug 05, 2009 07:42:36

50D 50 1.8 24-105 4L 70-200 4L 70-200 2.8L

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep. To be expected.

Don't use MS Picture & Fax viewer. Seriously. It sucks. And it doesn't color manage properly.
Thread

If all you want to do is show the images on screen, I'd batch them out of DPP to screen size (in pixels) or a bit smaller, so that the resulting jpg is viewed at 100% in whatever viewer. That way, you can set the sharpness to what you want it to be, and the "viewing" software doesn't need to resize,so cannot screw up there.

Post #3, Aug 05, 2009 09:09:30

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2005
4,082 posts
London, centre of the universe
[MORE/SHARE]

grander wrote in post #8402229external link
But to tell you the truth I dont really want to spend all this cash and time on photography so that when I show my mates or fiancee what I've been up to, the images look really soft at first glance.

Sam

Why don't you just output the jpegs at a decent enough size to almost fill the screen. Thats what i do. That way you can view them at 100% automatically and they will look sharp no matter what you view them with.

EDIT: Ooops, i took so long to type this i didnt see its already been suggested. Sorry Rene.

Post #4, Aug 05, 2009 09:25:40

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/external link
Canon 5DMKIII |Canon 650D | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | Canon 70-200 f/4L IS | 135L f/2.0 | 100 f/2 USM | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

grander
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
44 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the info Nigel. I'll do some reading up on that for sure.

And cheers Rene and dave... sounds like a good idea... I'll more than likely associate all jpegs with quicktime from now on as well.

Post #5, Aug 06, 2009 00:40:41 as a reply to dave_bass5's post 15 hours earlier.

Canon 50D -- Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 -- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 -- Canon 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
basroil
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
8,015 posts
STL/Clayton, MO| NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

Windows viewer doesn't have a proper resizing method, so everything ends up soft. Use a web browser like firefox instead, if you need to preview something.

Post #6, Aug 06, 2009 00:48:04

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,284 views & 0 likes for this thread
DPP: Soft JPEG when 'convert & save' from RAW
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES