Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of August 2009 (Wed)   #1
grander

Default DPP: Soft JPEG when 'convert & save' from RAW

So I've just spent the better part of 5 hours on here reading past threads about this problem as I too had this happening... The processed JPEG that I opened in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer looked really soft compared to the modified RAW that was still open in DPP 3.5.

I followed what a member on here (Rene Damkot) was saying... compare them at 100% and decide. Rene was right, the images were about the same... a bit better result.

But to tell you the truth I dont really want to spend all this cash and time on photography so that when I show my mates or fiancee what I've been up to, the images look really soft at first glance.

I opened up the JPEG with Windows Viewer, the RAW with DPP and another copy of the JPEG with Quicktime Picture Viewer 7.6.

The Windows viewer was soft
DPP was sharp
Quicktime viewer was sharp

Any ideas why this would happen ?? Why would the programs differ ??
Is there another viewer I should be associating JPEGS with ?? or stay with Quicktime...

Sam
grander is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of August 2009 (Wed)   #2
LowerO

Default Re: DPP: Soft JPEG when 'convert & save' from RAW

Sam

I had similar frustrations when comparing DPP with LR2. DPP was much better to my eye. Rene and Victoria provided some very useful insight into why it was the case. As a result I changed some of the settings in LR2 and now the 2 programs deliver very similar onscreen results.

It sounds like you've got a similar situation.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=732376

Regards

Nigel
Old 5th of August 2009 (Wed)   #3
René Damkot

Yep. To be expected.

Don't use MS Picture & Fax viewer. Seriously. It sucks. And it doesn't color manage properly.
Thread

If all you want to do is show the images on screen, I'd batch them out of DPP to screen size (in pixels) or a bit smaller, so that the resulting jpg is viewed at 100% in whatever viewer. That way, you can set the sharpness to what you want it to be, and the "viewing" software doesn't need to resize,so cannot screw up there.

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of August 2009 (Wed)   #4
dave_bass5
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by grander View Post
But to tell you the truth I dont really want to spend all this cash and time on photography so that when I show my mates or fiancee what I've been up to, the images look really soft at first glance.

Sam
Why don't you just output the jpegs at a decent enough size to almost fill the screen. Thats what i do. That way you can view them at 100% automatically and they will look sharp no matter what you view them with.

EDIT: Ooops, i took so long to type this i didnt see its already been suggested. Sorry Rene.
Canon 5DMKIII |Canon 650D | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | Canon 70-200 f/4L IS | 100 f/2 USM | 50 f/1.4 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.
dave_bass5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of August 2009 (Thu)   #5
grander

Thanks for the info Nigel. I'll do some reading up on that for sure.

And cheers Rene and dave... sounds like a good idea... I'll more than likely associate all jpegs with quicktime from now on as well.
grander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of August 2009 (Thu)   #6
basroil
Cream of the Crop

Windows viewer doesn't have a proper resizing method, so everything ends up soft. Use a web browser like firefox instead, if you need to preview something.
I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List
basroil is offline   Reply With Quote