Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 13 May 2005 (Friday) 19:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

update on the treble camera stoll need your help

gail
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Tupelo, Mississippi
May 13, 2005 19:24 |  #1

I took it to the shop this morning. And she had a look at it and said from she seen it look to be non fixing in shop so had to be sent out for repair.

So as we talk and I was telling her of what it was doing and that on my mirror it had a Little square on there that I don't remember seeing before.

So she said let me go get my camera and see if mine looks like that.
So she did and it didn't we she got to playing around with it. And she said you know I bet your mirrors are stuck together. And they were I was so happy thinking well that was simple enough to fix. I thank her and went on. well got back to the church to do some more decterrateing.

and low and behold, still messed up. Now it will focus but when you view Madge is only show like 20% showing now. from the top to the bottom of the LCD screen it is only taking a part of the image and for the rest it is blacked out nothing there just pitch black. Could there be something else stuck to my mirrors and maybe I could clean them and it would work?

If so how do I go abpout doing that? Thank, hate to brother you all but I'm in a hard spot right now and need your ad vice. Please. Does anyone know why and how to fix this problem?

Camera: Canon Digital Rebel
Canon 30D :D
Lenses 50mm 75-300mm IS 18-55mm kit lens
75-300mm 35-80mm
Flash 420 EX
2-256mb cards
1GB card

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,882 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
May 13, 2005 19:54 |  #2

1st, let me say that I have no idea how to fix it, & doubt if you can do it & recommend that you don't try!
What I would do (probably before sending it in for repair) would be to put the cam in sensor cleaning mode which should flip the mirror up. See if it does. Then I'd take it out of that mode & see if the mirror came down. If it did, I'd try taking a few shots.
If it works, I'd STILL call Canon to see what they had to say.
Good luck, Gail! ;-)a

Afterthought: These aren't flash pics, are they?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,818 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
May 13, 2005 19:57 |  #3

I'd definitely call Canon and be prepared to ship it to there service center.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
9,462 posts
Joined Nov 2002
California
May 13, 2005 23:40 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #4

Be thankful that you are not the primary photographer for the wedding.

For one thing, that is why primary photographers have a certain amount of backup equipment, just in case something goes south at the last moment.

---Bob Gross---

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,400 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Kalama, WA USA
May 14, 2005 00:12 |  #5

And with a camera still under warranty do NOT try to clean the mirrors......

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
7,333 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Hampshire, UK
May 14, 2005 00:16 as a reply to Titus213's post |  #6

This business of the secondary mirror getting stuck/not flipping out of the way seems to be a common failure mode on the 300D/dRebel - we've seen quite a few on the forum. It needs a trip back to Canon.

Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsportexternal link/Canoe Poloexternal link/Other Stuffexternal link

gail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Tupelo, Mississippi
May 14, 2005 01:51 |  #7

Ok here's a shot that was taken in the canon store today. This is what I'm saying it's doing it only takes top part of an Image. and the bottom half is blacked out. I I checked the mirror and it is flipping back up. Well, I will have to worry about it later I got a big day tomorrow and I'm still up putting things together at 3:00 am and I got like 2 hours to try and get a little rest before I have to go again. So thank to all for the help, I appreciate it very much.

I will be one tired lady tomorrow afternoon. Oh well it will all be worth it.
To see my baby son happily married. So I had to go and buy a new camera tonight didn't have time to try and fix this one. But it still has me puzzled as what happen to it just all at once. And It hasn't been dropped are anything.

All but it was in my truck yesterday for some time in the hot heat.
I was thinking maybe that could have done it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

75-300mm 35-80mm
Flash 420 EX
2-256mb cards
1GB card

pierrot
611 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Versailles, France
May 14, 2005 02:47 |  #8

Definitely looks like a mirror unable to flip up, it remains half way up and masks the sensor.

Send it for repair, shoot with your brand new camera and... relax!

Have a great nice day! ;)

Eos 5D + Eos 7D + Eos 20D + f/1:1 L eye-glasses

gail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Tupelo, Mississippi
May 14, 2005 03:21 |  #9

thanks I'm looking fordward to a nice day. hopefully all goes well. I will have to post some of them here when I get them all uploaded to my computer.

75-300mm 35-80mm
Flash 420 EX
2-256mb cards
1GB card

Jack_10D
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2005
May 14, 2005 23:06 |  #10

I'm guessing you're using an external flash set in manual mode, and possibly also the camera in manual mode. A flash in manual mode will fire whenever you take a shot, regardless what mode the camera is in. That's the key. If you put the camera's flash mode on, it will limit the shutter speed to 1/200 or slower to avoid the problem of the shutter being in the way during the flash. (At least, that's what my 10D does.) This is true if you're using the built in flash or an attached flash.

Here's the other key: if the camera isn't set in "flash" mode, you can set the camera's shutter speed much faster than 1/200. I think the combination of the flash in manual mode and a fast exposure leads to the problem you're seeing. The shutter is still moving when the flash fires.

Experiment with this on your camera: set the camera and the flash to manual, and take pics at 1/250, 1/350, 1/500, 1/750, etc. On mine, I just barely see it at 1/250, but beyond that it's quite noticable.

There's nothing wrong with using the flash in manual mode, but if you do, keep in mind that you'll also have to keep the shutter speed below 1/200. Also, if I'm right about my assumptions, I would say that there's nothing wrong with the camera or the flash. It sure would be nice to have all this explained in the manual.

I understand that the Canon 550EX & 580EX have a setting called High-Speed Sync that's supposed to alleviate this problem. I don't know if using that feature requires either the camera or the flash to be in a certain mode, but I'll bet one or the other can't be in manual for it to work.

Jack

lostdoggy
King Duffus
4,787 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Queens, NY
May 15, 2005 01:31 |  #11

Huh??? Mirror lockup!!! Flash???

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
May 16, 2005 10:09 as a reply to Jack_10D's post |  #12

Jack_10D wrote:
I understand that the Canon 550EX & 580EX have a setting called High-Speed Sync that's supposed to alleviate this problem. I don't know if using that feature requires either the camera or the flash to be in a certain mode, but I'll bet one or the other can't be in manual for it to work.

Jack

You'd lose. High speed sync works (on the 420EX as well) in all camera modes, and in any mode the flash otherwise supports.

Based on the described symptoms, I'd agree with the consensus. If it were X-sync setting being wrong, since the shutter is very close to the sensor, the edge would be much sharper.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

OviV
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Miami, FL
May 16, 2005 10:57 as a reply to Jon's post |  #13

Gail,

What you are seeing is the secondary mirror (used for AF) staying down. It is a problem that a few people have come across with the Digital Rebel (including me), usually after a large number of actuations. Mine did it at around 9,000. If you flib it up by hand your AF stops working and eventually it will stay down again. I had mine fixed by Canon under warranty. There is nothing that you can fix.

Ovi

5D, 40D, Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX, Sigma 15MM Fisheye,17-40 L, 24-105 L, 50 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS, 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 580 ex, Sigma 500 Super DG Flash x 2, too much other stuff to list.

gail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Tupelo, Mississippi
May 16, 2005 11:09 |  #14

Thanks, all for the help on trying to solve this matter. But I just went and bought me a new one. I think maybe it was from the hack, not for sure but think thats what messed it up. I want do that with this new one. The lady at the canon shop said to repair, it would cost any where from $400.00 to $500.00 to get it fixed.

So I didn't want to spend that kind of money on it and just decided to go get a new one being a new one would only cost me few hundred over the price to have that one repaired. I got a new one with kit lens for 650.00.

But again thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

75-300mm 35-80mm
Flash 420 EX
2-256mb cards
1GB card

gail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Tupelo, Mississippi
May 16, 2005 11:13 as a reply to OviV's post |  #15

OviV wrote:
Gail,

What you are seeing is the secondary mirror (used for AF) staying down. It is a problem that a few people have come across with the Digital Rebel (including me), usually after a large number of actuations. Mine did it at around 9,000. If you flib it up by hand your AF stops working and eventually it will stay down again. I had mine fixed by Canon under warranty. There is nothing that you can fix.

Ovi

Well, I didn't have any warranty. And too didn't want to send it in being I had did the hack. They probably wouldn't have fixed it any way being I had.

75-300mm 35-80mm
Flash 420 EX
2-256mb cards
1GB card

sponsored links

17,181 views & 0 likes for this thread
update on the treble camera stoll need your help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.