Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Kids & Family Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of August 2009 (Sat)   #1
dolphinz8

Default Natural Light vs. Studio Lighting for newborns?

I am trying to figure out what to do for newborn sessions. Is it best to use natural light, vs. studio lighting? Is it better to have them come to my studio, or do an on location session at their home, or wherever they choose? In the past newborn sessions that I have done, studio lighting seemed too harsh and hard to work with with newborns. They can bend in so many different directions that there always seemed to be a shadow in places where I didn't want one.

Thanks for any advice that you can give!!!!
dolphinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of August 2009 (Mon)   #2
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Natural Light vs. Studio Lighting for newborns?

Why limit yourself. I would say try both ways. Wondeful pictures can be done either way. For some reason natural light folks look down on studio light folks. Light is a light, as long as you know how to control it.

And I don't under stand:

"studio lighting seemed too harsh and hard to work with with newborns. They can bend in so many different directions that there always seemed to be a shadow in places where I didn't want one."

My very limited experience with newborn is that they just stay put where you put them. With studio lights you can move lights around where you want them. With window light, I will have to move the baby to optimum position.
Old 10th of August 2009 (Mon)   #3
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranaubs View Post
I am trying to figure out what to do for newborn sessions. Is it best to use natural light, vs. studio lighting? Is it better to have them come to my studio, or do an on location session at their home, or wherever they choose? In the past newborn sessions that I have done, studio lighting seemed too harsh and hard to work with with newborns. They can bend in so many different directions that there always seemed to be a shadow in places where I didn't want one.

Thanks for any advice that you can give!!!!
It was harsh because you didn't know how to control and/or modify it.

The cheap way is to find a big window. The easy way is to get a big soft box. Of course a big soft box for an infant isn't all that huge. A 24" square one would be plenty.
Old 10th of August 2009 (Mon)   #4
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

If you're talking about continuous studio lighting, that can be problematical with any living subject, not to mention newborns. Continuous light will either be very hot and bright or very low-level and require longish exposures.

Electronic flash is not a problem, although some people unncessarily worry that the bright flash might harm the infant's eyes. The thing to remember is that the effect of radiation (including visible light radiation) is cumulative, and that the electronic flash a baby might experience during the session has nowhere near the same effect as the five minutes of sunlight the baby endures between the car and the studio.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of August 2009 (Mon)   #5
zasey

I'm a natural light photographer...I think it's most flattering....but I've also worked with studio lighting and you can get some amazing photographs with both. I would suggest doing the session at the home of the client so that both the baby and mother can be the most comfortable resulting in better pictures for you! yay!!!
zasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of August 2009 (Thu)   #6
littleme

I go to my clients' homes and would prefer the simplicity of natural light, but I generally break down and set up my light unless there is wonderful natural light coming into the home. Both yield wonderful results when done correctly.

Strobe...

Natural light...

littleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of August 2009 (Thu)   #7
beegeeboy

Littleme, those are some seriously fantastic shots...hats off to ya.

David
beegeeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of August 2009 (Thu)   #8
littleme

Thank you, David!
littleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of August 2009 (Fri)   #9
dolphinz8

littleme..those pics are awesome!! great job!! I guess I just need to play around with the light a little more. I had a client that came to my studio but it just wasn't working, the baby was having a rough time. After 3 hrs they went home, and then I ended up going to her home a few days later and it went much better. Thank you so much for your input everyone!! I really appreciate it!
dolphinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote