Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 14 May 2005 (Saturday) 16:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help - my images are half black - shutter problem?

Lioness
124 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Indianapolis IN
May 14, 2005 16:09 |  #1

This afternoon I was outside, took about a dozen photos that looked fine, then the bottom half started to appear black on the LCD. I thought it might just be the lcd or something so I looked at it on the computer and still black. I tried switching lenses, removing the battery grip too. I also tried different modes (P,Tv,Av).

Is part of my shutter stuck/broken? Is this likely a sensor problem?

This image should just show some grass with a small stick:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Digital Rebel/Canon 18-55mm/Canon 28-135mm IS/Canon 75-300mm IS/Canon 50mm 1.4

http://photobucket.com​/albums/v647/jpulliam/external link

sponsored links
erik-nl
55 posts
Joined Feb 2004
May 14, 2005 16:23 |  #2

Could be the mirror blocking the view.
The soft upper edge of the black area points in that direction.
It is probably not finishing its upward swing (in time).

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/erik-nl/external link

G5
20D + EF24/2.8 + EF50/1.4 USM + EF100/2.8 USM MACRO
Manfrotto 190 BWB Tracker + 460MG (Bogen 3437) + 438 (Bogen 3502) Ball Leveller + 337 Bubble Level

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,450 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
May 14, 2005 16:26 |  #3

With the angle across the picture, it looks to me like a possibly sticky (leading) shutter. I would think a stuck mirror would have much less definition to the edge of the exposure change and the edge would be more horizontal to the picture.

Additional thought - try taking the lens off and "take a picture" or two while looking into the body cavity. Do this with slow shutter speeds, and you will be able to see the shutter itself. I'd be willing to bet the one or the other of the shutter leaves is sticking.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

GeForceFX
530 posts
Joined Dec 2004
belgium
May 14, 2005 16:26 |  #4

looks like the same problem as in this topic:

http://www.photography​-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=73420

1DmkIII / 500D / 20D / Blackrapid sport strap / 2 x POTN strap / speedlite 580EX
EF-S 10-22 / EF 17-40 L / EF 100-400 L / EF 24-105 L / EF 50 F1.8 II / sigma 80mm F1.4 / sigma 150mm F2.8 macro
manfrotto monopod and tripod and some heads / photoshop CS6 / lightroom 5.3 / WACOM Intuos3 A5 / Canon MP600R
my galleryexternal link

Lioness
THREAD ­ STARTER
124 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Indianapolis IN
May 14, 2005 16:39 as a reply to GeForceFX's post |  #5

That posts helps - I checked it out and indeed it looks like the mirror isn't getting out of the way! Glad to know the problem but hate to be without it while getting it repaired.

Thanks!

Digital Rebel/Canon 18-55mm/Canon 28-135mm IS/Canon 75-300mm IS/Canon 50mm 1.4

http://photobucket.com​/albums/v647/jpulliam/external link

gail
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Tupelo, Mississippi
May 26, 2005 23:47 |  #6

hi, sorry to here of your problem. seems to be doing the same as mine did. half bottom black out. I still haven't had the old one repaired yet. I just went out and got a new one.

And too mine was no longer under warranty. So for what it was going to cost me to have repaired and at the time I needed one fast to replace it. I was shooting a wedding t he next day. But I did find a lose spring in there a few days later so I know now it was the mirror not flipping back up the spring was gone.

seems that this is happening to a lot of the rebels lately. Sure hope my new one don't have this problem, maybe I should have went with a different one. Not the Drebel. If this one breaks I will be looking into buying something besides the Drebel.

Again sorry for you bad luck, hope you get back soon from repair I know it's hard to be without one. I feel like a part of me is missing with out my camera. ha :-)

Camera: Canon Digital Rebel
Canon 30D :D
Lenses 50mm 75-300mm IS 18-55mm kit lens
75-300mm 35-80mm
Flash 420 EX
2-256mb cards
1GB card

yellow_belly
142 posts
Joined Mar 2004
May 27, 2005 01:07 |  #7

Gail, if your problem was just a spring broken/displaced then the repair may be very cheap - its worth investigating with the repair centre :)

Terry

crazyfoo88
425 posts
Joined Sep 2004
London, Ontario Canada
May 27, 2005 05:34 |  #8

I had this happen to me 2 months ago. The spring holding the mirror has broken, allowing the smaller mirror for autofocus to hang down. I lost my camera for 6 weeks, and a 170 CAD bill that I luckily didnt have to pay (under warranty). Good luck!

My Gear
My Flickrexternal link

beerzie
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2007
California
May 29, 2007 15:21 |  #9

I purchased a Digital Rebel three years ago. I like it very much and it takes outstanding photographs. I have purchased three high-quality Canon-brand lenses and the top-of-the-line Canon flash. My home and office are lined with excellent photos, and I get many compliments from friends and co-workers. In fact, these photos and my glowing recommendations of this camera have encouraged five other people to buy it, and several of those folks have, like me, gone hog-wild and bought several lenses, flashes, etc.

Unfortunately, the story gets very grim from here. This camera’s reliability is non-existent. It has caused me a lot of grief and cost me a lot of wasted money and effort. After several hours of conversations with technical and customer support, I have patiently and dutifully sent this camera in for four and now five repairs. The result is that I have had the camera in my hands for ten out of the last twelve months and it has actually worked for nine out of the last twelve months. This is an unacceptable track record for a camera that cost me nearly $1000. I find it had to accept that a camera in this price range will only last for three years.

The story so far:

In April of 2006, when it was two years old, the camera’s shutter stopped working. I sent it in to the Canon repair center (Repair number LG703765), the shutter was repaired, and sent back to me. Repair costs were $200, not including the thirty or so dollars to ship it to the repair center. I lost use of the camera for two weeks.

A mere six months later, in October of 2006, the camera’s focus lock failed. I was told to send it in again, and after expressing my disbelief and annoyance that the camera was failing again so soon, the repair (Repair number LH124454) was done without charge, except for the thirty or so dollars to ship it to the repair center. I lost use of the camera for two weeks, including Halloween, during which I was unable to take advantage of any photo opportunities with my children.

It only took two months for the camera to fail again. Again, some kind of shutter problem rendered the camera unusable during my children’s first trip to Disneyland. Again after expressing my disbelief and annoyance that the camera was failing again so soon, the repair (Repair number WA864336) was done without charge, except for the thirty or so dollars to ship it to the repair center. I lost the camera for three weeks because of the Christmas holiday, during which I hardly need add, that I was unable to take any photos during the holiday. This was a major disappointment.

Less than a month later, I began to experience an intermittent shutter failure, during which the shutter would stay locked down (looking through the lens, it would be black), and then it would release after being set aside for several hours. I called the Canon technical support, and they told me that I would have to send it in again. I was reluctant to do so, because the shutter was sticking intermittently and returning to normal several hours later, which is a difficult problem to reproduce. However, after several episodes of this in late March of this year, the technical support person recommended – based on the number of incidents with the camera -- I contact Canon Customer Support.

My case with this department was handled by a man named Mike (866-886-1901 extension 2191), who listened to my saga and told me that I would need to send the camera to the repair center for “evaluation”. I explained that I feared they would not be able to find much as the shutter was sticking intermittently and returning to normal several hours later, which is a difficult problem to reproduce Mike explained that the evaluation would be complete and extensive, and that it might take longer than an average repair. It did not help that the free shipping was three-day, and the total time I was without my camera was three weeks.

I thought that “Customer Service” would include, at the very least, some follow-up about the results of the evaluation. Not so! I got home from work one day, the camera was returned, and the note inside said that the camera and lens was evaluated and nothing was wrong. Did I get a phone call from Mike? No. Did I get an e-mail from Mike? No. I waited a couple of days and heard nothing. I finally called him, left a message, but he did not return my call for over a week. By this time I was so disgusted, I didn’t bother calling back. I guess Canon’s idea of Customer Service is different than mine. At least this time, Canon ponied up the shipping costs (although I had to purchase fifteen dollars worth of packing materials).

Which brings us to today, two months later. While shooting some photos for a client, the camera failed mid-job. (Bye-bye, freelance job!) But this was a newer, different shutter problem. The shutter engages (softly) takes a black image, gives the dreaded, meaningless “Error 99”, and refuses to take another shot. This time the camera did not return to normal; it is dead in the water.

I am now at wit’s end. I just got off the phone with Mike, whose capacity for sympathy is somewhat limited. He gave the usual response – send it to the service center. I asked if there was any way to expedite the situation, and he said he could ask them to look at it “as soon as possible”. Give that it is Tuesday, and that they will be sending me another lame three-day label, I figure it will be back in my hands in what, three weeks?

Let’s recap:

• Camera down time out of the last twelve months: Almost three months.
• Events missed: Kid’s first trip to Disneyland and Legoland; Halloween, Christmas, and New Years 2006.
• Money spent on repairs/shipping: $300
• Estimated sales from my own purchases and recommendations to friends: over $5000

"If your pictures aren’t good enough, you aren’t close enough." -- Robert Capa

traveling
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2007
Oct 10, 2007 01:31 as a reply to beerzie's post |  #10

oh, my god. :-(

泰山旅游external link

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Oct 10, 2007 11:45 as a reply to traveling's post |  #11

I got this problem for the first time yesterday with my 30D when i was using it with my strobes.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,820 posts
Joined Sep 2005
CT
Oct 10, 2007 12:41 |  #12

wow, this thread is over 2 years old--its getting quite a run!

connecticut wedding photographerexternal link

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,820 posts
Joined Sep 2005
CT
Oct 10, 2007 12:42 |  #13

Tareq wrote in post #4100174external link
I got this problem for the first time yesterday with my 30D when i was using it with my strobes.

that's probably a different issue--most likely to do with setting too fast a shutter speed so the strobes can't sync with it. Try to keep your SS below 1/160 or so.

connecticut wedding photographerexternal link

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Oct 10, 2007 17:40 |  #14

timnosenzo wrote in post #4100438external link
that's probably a different issue--most likely to do with setting too fast a shutter speed so the strobes can't sync with it. Try to keep your SS below 1/160 or so.

I see, thank you, i think yes, i was using SS above 1/250, but i saw it works again when i lower the speed under 1/160 or even 1/200, so my camera is fine and no problems at all with it, everyday learning something new:oops::oops::oops:

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

sm2s
49 posts
Joined May 2008
Nov 07, 2008 00:51 |  #15

i had the same problem as the OP a few minutes ago, and (stupidly) played with the mirror now it's taking a full picture but the autofocus isnt working.. any suggestions? D: or am i at a total loss here. this is the 300d im talking about.. any help is appreciated!

40D//300D//tammy17-50//18-55//100f2.8//50f1.8//4​30exII

sponsored links

29,409 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help - my images are half black - shutter problem?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.