Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 09 Aug 2009 (Sunday) 17:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to Photograph Football--14 Tips for Friday HS Football

HammerCope
783 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Nebraska
Jul 27, 2016 16:19 |  #166

I think my day of shooting the local football team are over. just incase does anyone have a picture of their set up with flashes? I tried setting mine above and below with mixed results.
Thanks for all the other great tips.

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

sponsored links
Quaz8r
142 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Aug 19, 2016 20:01 |  #167

Lots of great info... I am heading into my 5th year of shooting High School Football. I have never shot with flash and know that is something I should be utilizing. I have never been a huge fan of how the images look at night with flash. But I understand it's better to have a well lit action shot then a all too underexposed run that looks horrible with you try to recover in post. Thank you for taking the time to break down the many great topics regarding High School Football Photography. Happy shooting...

http://www.EyePhotoU.c​omexternal link

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Where ever I lay my hat is my home
Aug 20, 2016 20:34 |  #168

HammerCope wrote in post #18079362 (external link)
I think my day of shooting the local football team are over...

Why?

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

HammerCope
783 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Nebraska
Oct 05, 2016 14:10 as a reply to Methodical's post |  #169

Why because the local school districts won't let you photograph if you are selling the photos. Unless you have a signed release from the parents then that student can be the only one in the photos. An finally parents in my area don't seam interested in having quality photographs of their student.

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

Zivnuska
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Oct 05, 2016 15:30 |  #170

HammerCope wrote in post #18149149 (external link)
Why because the local school districts won't let you photograph if you are selling the photos. Unless you have a signed release from the parents then that student can be the only one in the photos. An finally parents in my area don't seam interested in having quality photographs of their student.

It seems like MaxPreps is able to take and sell photos in Nebraska.

http://www.maxpreps.co​m ...e3-4260-b938-f8eb9142da72 (external link)

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​comexternal link

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

HammerCope
783 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Nebraska
Oct 05, 2016 15:34 as a reply to Zivnuska's post |  #171

Maybe at the big schools.

Pete

HammerCope
783 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Nebraska
Oct 05, 2016 16:07 as a reply to Zivnuska's post |  #172

Does Maxpreps set the prices for photos and can you set it up to sell prints?

Pete

pat.kane
581 posts
Joined May 2005
Arlington, VA
Oct 05, 2016 20:36 as a reply to HammerCope's post |  #173

Yes, MaxPreps sets the prices for the photos on their site. They only sell digital downloads, having migrated away from prints. There is no prohibition against posting the same photos on other sites if you want to sell prints, packages, or for another reason.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

pat.kane
581 posts
Joined May 2005
Arlington, VA
Oct 05, 2016 21:01 |  #174

HammerCope wrote in post #18149149 (external link)
Why because the local school districts won't let you photograph if you are selling the photos. Unless you have a signed release from the parents then that student can be the only one in the photos.

Does the local paper have to have a signed release? Do they sell photos on their site?

I reminded an AD this week the Washington Post even charges for photos ($39.95 for a digital download, with prints available for much less). I've been shooting this school for three years and he generally lets me be, but parents are pressing for access and he's frustrated with having to explain why they can't shoot from the sidelines when others can. Doesn't seem too complicated to me as the rest of us have media credentials, likely have liability insurance (I do) and maybe even pay business taxes to the county (it costs me over $1,000/yr just for business property taxes).

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

John
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Oct 06, 2016 11:55 |  #175

Ok so I'm having a horrible time with getting the shot of wide receivers catching the football with the 400mm. Does anyone have any advice?

Two issues I'm having:

1) The biggest issue I have is panning the camera to get the WR/DB in the frame. I'm usually looking at the QB and when he looks like he's going to pass, I tend to try searching for the direction he is looking but with how zoomed it is, I find it I am underestimating how far I have to pan to get the players in the frame.

The issue may be that I am just waiting too long to try to get the shot of the QB throwing in addition to trying to get the catch that I don't start panning early enough. I feel like I have to start panning even before I have confirmation the QB threw the ball.

2) Getting focus, right now, just using the 7dm2 with the 400mm. Even if I get lucky enough to get the target WR in the frame, the camera usually focuses on the background than the players in the foreground. I am using back button focus and maybe I'm just panicking and hitting BBF too early?

If anyone has any suggestions/advice/tip​s on this, I'd appreciate it. :-D

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

Zivnuska
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Oct 06, 2016 12:36 as a reply to John's post |  #176

John,

Trying to shoot the quarterback throwing as well as the end receiving on the same play is a very tall order at 400mm. For me, I'll shoot one or the other. If I want more than one image on a play, I might shoot some blocking and then shoot the quarterback or running back. More typically, I'll check where the QB is looking as he drops back to pass then try to zero in on a receiver in that area. Also, its a lot easier to do that with a 70-200mm.

IMAGE: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/zivnuska/2016/ZIVN6591.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s137.photobucke​t.com ...ia/2016/ZIVN6591.jp​g.html] (external link)

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​comexternal link

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

McNeese72
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Sulphur, La
Oct 06, 2016 13:13 |  #177

John wrote in post #18149926 (external link)
Ok so I'm having a horrible time with getting the shot of wide receivers catching the football with the 400mm. Does anyone have any advice?

Two issues I'm having:

1) The biggest issue I have is panning the camera to get the WR/DB in the frame. I'm usually looking at the QB and when he looks like he's going to pass, I tend to try searching for the direction he is looking but with how zoomed it is, I find it I am underestimating how far I have to pan to get the players in the frame.

The issue may be that I am just waiting too long to try to get the shot of the QB throwing in addition to trying to get the catch that I don't start panning early enough. I feel like I have to start panning even before I have confirmation the QB threw the ball.

2) Getting focus, right now, just using the 7dm2 with the 400mm. Even if I get lucky enough to get the target WR in the frame, the camera usually focuses on the background than the players in the foreground. I am using back button focus and maybe I'm just panicking and hitting BBF too early?

If anyone has any suggestions/advice/tip​s on this, I'd appreciate it. :-D

It's tough to go from shooting the QB to the WR he is throwing to. I've have been trying to watching the QB above the camera, see, where he is looking, and try to guess which receiver he is going to. It is still hard and sometimes I guess the wrong receiver. I also find it hard to stay calm and make sure the focus point is on the receiver before pushing the button to focus.

I had a series of shots of an interception when a ball was tipped high in the air. I had the DB going up, catching the ball at the height of his jump, coming down, and starting to run with what was a pick 6. All of the first half of the series was out of focus because I didn't have the focus point(s) on the player at the beginning. At least, I refocused and got him running the ball to the endzone. Very frustrating when I think I have a shot of a pivotal play only to have missed the focus because I got excited and didn't make sure I had the focus point where it needed to be before hitting the focus button. Wasn't very happy with myself.

Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

John
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Oct 06, 2016 16:13 |  #178

Thanks Phil and Doc.

Yea I guess I was reaching a bit too much (no pun intended) when trying to shoot both the QB and WR with the 400mm. I almost feel like, as Doc said, I have to look up from my camera find the WR I think the QB is throwing to, then start focusing on the WR before the QB releases the ball so that the WR is in focus way before the ball gets there. At the same time, I was worried that I gave up on the QB too quick where he can pull the ball or throw a completely different way. I guess that's a risk I have to take.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Where ever I lay my hat is my home
Oct 07, 2016 16:53 |  #179

Even when you targeted the right receiver and everything is lined up for a good shot, a ref runs in front of you and ruins the shot.

Another way to get the shot is to watch the formation (empty backfield etc.) and know what down it is and how far they have to go for the 1st down. This many times indicate a passing play, so you can look over the camera to see where the QB pivots to and then focus in that area of the field. Depending on how the game has been going, I decide what shot I am going for before the snap, say for instance it's 3rd and long and I know they will pass, I may focus on the QB looking for a sack because the defense may be dominating the game or I may target the receiver because the offense is a passing team. I go by the tempo of the game and what's been happening up to that point. The trick for me is to not look through the camera for the receiver. I watch the QB over the camera until I see where the QB is going and swing that way still kinda looking over the camera with the eye not looking through the camera (not sure if that's easy to understand) but it works for me.

It's definitely easier to get the reception shot with a shorter lens. I use the 300 and 600. The 600 is way harder, but if it's far away, I can get it and have a nice tight and clean shot without having to crop much, but I miss more with it though, but the 600 keeps me away from all the folks and the refs on the sideline.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links

96,792 views & 28 likes for this thread
How to Photograph Football--14 Tips for Friday HS Football
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.