Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 09 Aug 2009 (Sunday) 17:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to Photograph Football--14 Tips for Friday HS Football

Zivnuska
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Aug 10, 2009 13:42 as a reply to post 8433748 |  #16

Let me expand on Kevin's point about knowing a team's tendencies and how it can help you.

The high school team that I shoot most often has a 'Hail Mary' play designed to get a last second desperation touchdown. Most teams have such a play. Because I have an excellent relationship with the coach and try to be helpful to the program, he lets me shoot anywhere, anytime. This includes practice and the locker room before the game, halftime, and post game. He also tells me if a trick play is planned and the details of who, when, and where the play will be used. Back to the 'Hail Mary' pass. Because of the positive relationship with the coach, I know which side of the field the pass will be thrown to, the planned deception and who the eventual intended receiver will be. It doesn't matter who the ends are or what the wind is doing. That play will be run in a specific manner by that team. It's what they practice, what the coach believes in, and what they will do this year.

That's nice to know! I will be in position to shoot that potential game winning pass and be focused on the correct player. Guaranteed.

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​comexternal link

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

sponsored links
snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Wadsworth, Ohio
Aug 10, 2009 14:16 |  #17

Thank you Phil. Very timely and helps me immensely as a first timer this fall.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Crete, IL.
Aug 10, 2009 14:22 |  #18

You give 14 tips but failed to mention Rule #1 - Don't get hit!

Chris
Gear List | Websiteexternal link | Sports Sample Picturesexternal link | Four Seam Imagesexternal link

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

gconda
181 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Chicago
Aug 10, 2009 17:23 |  #19

awesome thread ! We also need one for season ticket holders at NFL Games. I'm considering the 300f4 + 1.4 on my 40D

Gear List Leland Jason Photographyexternal linkhttp://www.lelandjason​.comexternal link

dmwierz
Goldmember
2,376 posts
Joined May 2005
Chicago Area, IL
Aug 10, 2009 19:04 |  #20

Kevin:

Regarding 7.4, I have always been against HSS with sports but after seeing this, I am strongly reconsidering. Scroll down and read/see image 9 and 10. WOW!! Granted, he is doing this with about $4k worth of speedlights and an $8k camera, but again, WOW!!

http://www.daveblackph​otography.com/...p/07-2009.htmlexternal link

Well, Dave is using EIGHT (2x4 Square) SB-900 speedlights (or one 4 Square with each SB at +2.0 power level), which reduces the chances that you'll get ghosting, which is one of the major drawbacks to using HSS (since it drastically reduces the flash output power).

Dave Black is a lighting wizard, so I can't really disagree with him or his techniques, but I'd venture a guess he could have also gotten very similar results with one or two standard strobe lights (duration around 1/2000s) firing straight at the subjects. But one of the big points about him using the 4 Square product is that it uses battery-powered speedlights thus removing the need to buy strobes and to find electricity in the field.

http://www.denniswierz​bicki.comexternal link
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/dmwierzexternal link

Dennis "
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

dmwierz
Goldmember
2,376 posts
Joined May 2005
Chicago Area, IL
Aug 10, 2009 19:06 |  #21

Oh, and Phil, based on my first browsing of your post, it looks pretty good. I'll take another look when I get the chance.

Dennis

Dennis "

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007
West Central Indiana
Aug 10, 2009 20:52 |  #22

dmwierz wrote in post #8435636external link
Dave Black is a lighting wizard, so I can't really disagree with him or his techniques, but I'd venture a guess he could have also gotten very similar results with one or two standard strobe lights (duration around 1/2000s) firing straight at the subjects.

Given the amount of ambient light still in the picture I'm not sure how would he be able to eliminate ghosting if he was shooting at a sync speed of 1/250 regardless of the flash duration especially given the speed they are traveling.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.comexternal link and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

Zivnuska
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Aug 10, 2009 21:46 |  #23

dmwierz wrote in post #8435656external link
Oh, and Phil, based on my first browsing of your post, it looks pretty good. I'll take another look when I get the chance.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. Your insights will be greatly appreciated.

Phil

For those of you not familiar with Dennis Wierzbicki, he is one of the nation's premier sport shooters and has covered several sports at the top professional levels. He has always been gracious in sharing his knowledge with the forum (and me).

Check out his work

http://www.pbase.com/d​mwierz45/sports_shotsexternal link

http://www.sportsshoot​er.com ...l?mem_id=6550&i_id=​840845external link

and his podcasts
http://web.mac.com ...Site/Podcast/Podcas​t.htmlexternal link

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​comexternal link

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

USMCWayne
391 posts
Joined Jan 2008
White Settlement, Texas
Aug 11, 2009 11:31 |  #24

Excellent advice.

I've been shooting high school sports for "awhile" Your list of tips and techniques are very helpful and a good reminder for things that are sometimes second nature, but also things that I've sort of gotten away from.

First practice is Aug 17, and our first game is Sept 4. Certainly not too early to start making plans for the upcoming season.

Thanks again for this.

50d & BG-E2 grip, G16
Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Kenko 1.4 Pro 300 DG
Manfrotto 3231 monopod & 3229 head, Manfrotto 3221 tripod & 3030 head

Sauk
Goldmember
4,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Sandy, UT
Aug 11, 2009 19:27 |  #25

I learned most of my shooting tech's from Dennis as well.

The most important thing I learned is to experiment till you are happy. Last year I went from 2.8 to as high as 7 for an F stop.

I also went from ISO 800 to ISO 1600.

High school football is frustrating but it is also fun in that you get to experiment and challenge yourself.

Have fun and push yourself to the limits!

Nikon D700, D3s | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |

ProwlingTiger
448 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Aug 13, 2009 18:39 |  #26

I started out managing and filming (two cameras at once :D ) for my high school football team outside of Wichita, KS. That was 3 years ago. Of course I did photography where I could, but I didn't really get into sports photography until a year ago.

This year, I'm writing for the K-State Collegian and will be on the sidelines Friday night, for the first time with a camera in hand (shot sports before, never football).

I have a decent setup currently, apart from borrowing my dad's 580EXII. Is flash required to get the shots as the light dims? I suppose it would depend on the stadium lighting, just curious though. Not a problem one way or another :D

Something will be here later...

dmwierz
Goldmember
2,376 posts
Joined May 2005
Chicago Area, IL
Aug 13, 2009 20:00 |  #27

Is flash required to get the shots as the light dims

This is pretty subjective, and actually the topic of a LONG thread that goes back almost 2 years:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=375847

Dennis "

DavidG.
"My name is Rumpelstiltskin"
201 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Aug 15, 2009 17:48 |  #28

Thank you Zivnuska, I have printed out what you have said in your first post as I find it most helpful to this second year football shooter for my HS alma mater's yearbook.

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 7D | 17-40 f/4L | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | 580 EX II

SC_Highlander
42 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Greenville, SC
Aug 15, 2009 19:42 |  #29

Great advice. Thanks for posting!

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Michigan
Aug 18, 2009 09:39 |  #30

Great advice here, and I can only second what Phil had to say as well. If you primarily cover one team, which I'm assuming most of us in rural America do. Pay attention to their plays, the run game is a huge opportunity to get shots of backs running to the sidelines or breaking through the tackle/end hole which can lead to a nicely framed shot. If you see which backs run in sometimes you can also figure out what play is going to happen.

I'm definitely going to try the punt shooting tips you had, I always shot from the side or a little in front of the punter last year but an endzone shot of the back of the punter with rushers coming could be quite stunning indeed!

As for lighting, for those of you worried about shooting ambient due to a lack of flash, it not being permitted, etc, I was worried about using a flash as well in that I would annoy the fans. You'd be surprised that most often I asked my parents, who were watching my brother play, knew I was on the sideline shooting, and were almost in a straight line beyond me and the play, did not notice that I had in fact been using flash. The head coach of my local HS team tells me to use it always and don't worry unless the refs say to stop using it.

Great writeup and good luck to all you local photogs, season starts next week here!

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

sponsored links

95,328 views & 28 likes for this thread
How to Photograph Football--14 Tips for Friday HS Football
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.