Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 10 Aug 2009 (Monday) 15:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

50mm f1.4 autofocus malfunctioning for the third time

Christina
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Pittsburgh
Aug 10, 2009 15:59 |  #1

I got this lens in December 2006. In November 2007, the autofocus stopped working and was repaired - fortunately at no cost as it was still under warranty. Then, in the summer of 2008 it malfunctioned again and this time it cost $100 to repair. :confused:

Now it is not working again. I haven't contacted Canon yet but I am sure they will say I have to pay $100 again to have it fixed. So frustrating!

Has anyone had any luck getting a replacement for something that repeatedly has problems like this?

Christina - Pittsburgh Wedding Photographerexternal link
Syncopated Picturesexternal link
http://christinamontem​urrophotography.com/bl​og/external link

sponsored links
joosay
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Joined Jul 2009
City so nice they named it twice
Aug 10, 2009 16:39 |  #2

I bought a bad copy (didn't know how to check lens) but my 50 1.4 was not able to focus any closer than 8 feet. What kind of problems are you having with the autofocus?

Flickrexternal link - Angelito Jusay Photographyexternal link

JNRSM3
229 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Aug 10, 2009 16:42 |  #3

sorry to hear. I've only had mine for 3 months, but I've used it alot. So far no issues. Crossing fingers as it is one of my favorite lenses. Ultra sharp.

If this lens has been back to Canon twice already, wouldn't they have record of it? I wonder, if like cars, there is any lemon policy whereby Canon would remunerate for a crap lens with sufficient proof, like in this case, that the lens is just not up to snuff?

Gripped 7D ~EF 17-40 F/4 L ~ EF 24-105 F/4 L ~ EF 70-200 F/4 L IS ~ EF 50 F/1.4 ~ Manfrotto 498RC2/055XPROB ~ Lowepro AW200

Christina
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Pittsburgh
Aug 10, 2009 19:54 |  #4

joosay wrote in post #8434891external link
I bought a bad copy (didn't know how to check lens) but my 50 1.4 was not able to focus any closer than 8 feet. What kind of problems are you having with the autofocus?

Right now, it won't autofocus at all at any distance. The first time it went bad, it would work sometimes but then wouldn't work. Same with the second. Now.... nada.

I had the same thought about the lemon thing but the last time when I asked, they said no to that. :mad:

Rio ­ Sundoro
215 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Aug 11, 2009 01:44 |  #5

There is a small plastic component inside the lens that snapped (broke).

flickrexternal link | gear

Rendition
245 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Singapore
Aug 11, 2009 03:36 as a reply to Rio Sundoro's post |  #6

Mine stropped working right before warranty ended but I got it replaced with a 1.2..... ya, crazy.... all that spending power just for the sake of a better mechanism. Apart from this common issue, the 1.4 is perfect, just hope Canon's gonna update to a Mark II.

The 1.4 I had just decided to stop working as and when it felt like and once was during a full day wedding session and that freaked me out but thank gawd a day prior, I read somewhere that turning the focus ring to one end, after the 'end', will get the AF working again but would die again intermittently.

// visualverveexternal link //
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III + WFT-E2 II ❘ 5D Mark II
17-40L ❘ 24-70L ❘ 50L ❘ 70-200 f/2.8LIS ❘ 2X 580EXII ❘ 2X CP-E4
Elinchrom BXRi ❘ Velbon Neo Carmagne 640A

hk300
253 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Aug 11, 2009 05:00 |  #7

the mechanics of the 50/1.4 are very easily damaged.

It uses a plastic helicoid and plastic tabs, which can deform and/or break easily.

Christina
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Pittsburgh
Aug 11, 2009 10:11 as a reply to hk300's post |  #8

So... if you were me... would you bother to pay to have it replaced? If I did... I would probably sell it - but I have no idea how to price something like this as I would certainly provide full disclosure about its history.

hk300
253 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Aug 11, 2009 10:31 |  #9

i would probably go to a independent repair shop and depending on the actual repair cost, either sell it as-is or sell it repaired... it could be a simple repair.

joosay
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Joined Jul 2009
City so nice they named it twice
Aug 11, 2009 10:53 |  #10

Mine is on the way to canon factory service in nj... you got it replaced with a 1.2? I wish they would do that in my situation....lol but probably highly unlikely because its out of warranty and paying $95 for the repair.

Flickrexternal link - Angelito Jusay Photographyexternal link

sponsored links

2,408 views & 0 likes for this thread
50mm f1.4 autofocus malfunctioning for the third time
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.